Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

I've just been told today that whatever names have been thrown into the hat - CA has been to BH in the last few days.

Of course the talks with Ancelotti may have come to nothing and he's said "No thanks", but I don't think things are as negative as people

are making out.

my mate is adamant that carlo is going to be named on friday he knows summat but ent letting on but dunno weather to believe or not

Just checked the met office the WEATHER for the West Midland area for Friday is set to be gloomy with heavy rain at times: Lets pray thats not an Omen (--

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been told today that whatever names have been thrown into the hat - CA has been to BH in the last few days.

Of course the talks with Ancelotti may have come to nothing and he's said "No thanks", but I don't think things are as negative as people

are making out.

Then why did CA issue that statement saying he was taking a year off ?

Would seem a bit odd to go to all that trouble for nothing

He didn't "issue a statement" he was interviewed by the press. Bit of a difference there.

Also, if he's taking a year off why go through the trouble of negotiating a 12month restriction on managing another club out of his settlement with Chelsea?

If you look at all the reports in the press they don't add up, some of them have to be wrong.

Spot on! This is EXACTLY what I said yesterday.

Also some have suggested that inteview was conducted just after Chelsea had sacked the guy and it's been rehashed. It would also explain the fact that up to that point, Villa hadn't contacted him.

Print screening this as I think it's the first time we've ever agreed on anything ;)

I don't claim to offer you additional information. The information I'm offering is readily available

So the reason for your visit on here is what then ?

Explained on the previous page.

You have no posts on the previous page .

Sorry, page before:

Like I said, I'm just providing information that you don't have. If you want to make an informed decision about one of your managerial candidates, I can actually be of use.

Soooooo....

Mark Hughes leaves Fulham... and they appoint Martin Jol within a week... yet at Villa Park... NOTHING. Carlos is ruled out, I can't see Moyes leaving even though I would blow my trousers off with joy if he did...

How have Fulham managed to get Jol? Does he want a job with no expectations?!?

Fulham have upgraded, fair play to them - but that statue is still horrid.

I posted a similar question earlier, fulham have got a better manager now, if Hughes does come to Villa then that makes our expectations less than Fulhams

I'm not sure it's the right thread for discussing it, but what makes Jol a better manager than Hughes?

Err... Only he has been far more successful than Hughes

Has he?

Not much in it, Jol has had more success at more clubs though

JOL

Ajax dutch cup winners in 2009

Hamberg finished 5th in league

Spurs twice finished 5th & semi final of the FA cup

and a lot of success in holland including

took Rkc Waalwijk from relagation contenders to European challengers

Roda dutch cup winners 1997

Hughes

Finishing 6th in the premierleague, FA cup & League cup semis with Blackburn

couldn't better that even with the pots of cash at Man City

when someone says they're taking a year off and don't need to jump straight into a job ... i tend to believe them.

otherwise he could have said absolutely nothing at all.

So why take a reduced settlement to have the "no managing for 12months" clause taken out?

It makes no sense at all.

Im not going to get my hopes up but thats a good point.

maybe he thinks something may rear its head that he can't refuse somewhere down the line. who says he has this clause anyway ?

would a bookie offer odds of 25/1 with all their contacts if there was even a vague chance of this still happening ?

when someone says they're taking a year off and don't need to jump straight into a job ... i tend to believe them.

So why take a reduced settlement to have the "no managing for 12months" clause taken out?

maybe he thinks something may rear its head that he can't refuse somewhere down the line. who says he has this clause anyway ?

would a bookie offer odds of 25/1 with all their contacts if there was even a vague chance of this still happening ?

If there wasn't that much money going on him compared to the other candidates, yes.

Bookie odds don't reflect the chances of something happening, they reflect how much they'd have to pay out if it does.

Like I said, I'm just providing information that you don't have. If you want to make an informed decision about one of your managerial candidates, I can actually be of use.

Well the information you're giving is not anything that we don't know or can't google which you have admitted as much yourself. If you look at the poll then only 2% of the voters want Rafa Beneathus so you are preaching to a small section of the site, and finally you do realise that it's not us Villa fans who are making the appointment right ? So I'm still unsure as to your "use".

Owen Coyle's price seems to have came down a lot today. I'd love to see him down there, think he's a great manager.

He was actually my first choice too when Houllier left.

Van Gaal would be great. I would imagine he'd be interested considering he managed AZ before Bayern. Terrific record of promoting youth.

I think that too. He has so much experience at the top level in Europe and has bought through some great young talent over the years.

I would imagine he would be interested at having a crack at the Premier League at some point because he has done nearly everything else in Europe

100% agree. Plus, he may feel he has a point to prove after how things ended at Bayern. To think he plucked Muller and Badstuber out of the reserves last year and had complete confidence in them; they're both now established German internationals. I'm surprised his name hasn't been mentioned more in this thread.

are making out.

It's a small point I know but CA did not issue a statement. Italian press asked about his managerial future and he's quoted saying he's taking time off. Could just be he doesn't want to be harassed by the sports paparazzi when he's in Italy.

Soooooo....

Mark Hughes leaves Fulham... and they appoint Martin Jol within a week... yet at Villa Park... NOTHING. Carlos is ruled out, I can't see Moyes leaving even though I would blow my trousers off with joy if he did...

How have Fulham managed to get Jol? Does he want a job with no expectations?!?

Fulham have upgraded, fair play to them - but that statue is still horrid.

I posted a similar question earlier, fulham have got a better manager now, if Hughes does come to Villa then that makes our expectations less than Fulhams

I'm not sure it's the right thread for discussing it, but what makes Jol a better manager than Hughes?

Err... Only he has been far more successful than Hughes

Oh right, I must have missed that period of Jol's career

in managerial terms, what has hughes won?

ever?

what has been hughes top finish in the league?

jol, while no master has won the dutch cup 2 times and finished 5th in the premiership, both things beat anything hughes has done.

i cant understand this love in with hughes, an average manager who has never done anything people like david oleary havent done.

hughes has been a manager for 11 years, yes thats right, 11 years. he is not some new manager learning his trade. ancelotti has only managed 4 years more than him and has won shed loads of trophies for his clubs.

Hughes

Wales - got them into top 30 in world rankings, currently ranked about 130!

Blackburn - kept them consistantly in the top 8 without spending any money...and often losing best players

Man City - Were 5th when they sacked him...sacked too early in my opinion. Majority of his team won FA Cup

Fulham - Achieved a top 8 finish in his first season whilst spending very little...whilst we finished 9th having spent £30m in January

Jol

Spurs - Spent a shit load of money and finished 5th twice...despite being in pole position for 4th in one of his seasons...bottler

Ajax - Finished behind Steve McClarens Twente, whilst at a much bigger club...and won the dutch cup (with the biggest team in Holland)

I certainly know I would choose Hughes out of the 2!

Houllier I believe had quite long odds for most of the time we were manager-less last summer.

are making out.

It's a small point I know but CA did not issue a statement. Italian press asked about his managerial future and he's quoted saying he's taking time off. Could just be he doesn't want to be harassed by the sports paparazzi when he's in Italy.

Fingers crossed... Like a poster above said... It just don't add up.

Steve MacLaren is the jumping lizard: Aston Villa Football Club is the the news anchor. About sums up my reaction...

http://bit.ly/k2eJkS

(Hopefully a bit of light relief in these stressful times!)

We have to laugh, chaps, and stay strong together! :)

Thanks for this, now I cant stop watching it over and over!

The reaction has me in stitches, guy looks like hes being electrocuted.