Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still 100% think it will be Ancelotti unveiled as new Villa manager. Today was the perfect way to snuff out what was pretty severe mounting expectation yesterday among the Villa fans. But it has been done in a way not to completely discredit the possibility and now gives the two parties breathing space to thrash out a deal.

Like someone said earlier, as in the case with Hughes, if Ancelotti really wanted to rule himself out of any jobs he would have issued a statement through his agent, like Hughes did. A few vague comments to an Italian rag mean nothing in my opinion.

Then there's the discrepency between what Carlo reportedly says about not hearing off any English club, and Mat Kendrick who is adamant Villa have been in contact.

Ancelotti says in those quotes that he needs a rest from the game, but one thing that will ALWAYS tempt a manager back into a job is if he knows he is wanted - and let me assure you, Ancelotti will be fully briefed on the fact that Villa fans have been positively buzzing about him for days, as will Lerner. Didn't he say the other week he really wants to stay and manage in England? And now he suddenly wants a year out to "watch" other managers? Pull the other one - don't believe that for a second. He is the only guy that would really unite this fanbase and send a message to the footballing world, and Lerner knows this, so if you think I'm going to believe a few vague quotes from a foreign tabloid you are mistaken.

Mark my words, I'm not ITK or anything of the sort, but we haven't heard the last of Ancelotti yet...

Also, I might be mistaken, but didn't he receive a smaller payoff from Chelsea so that they would remove the clause that said he could not manager another team for 12 months?

Why would he accept less money to remove this clause and then just decide to have 12 months off? Very strange.

Good point! Didn't think of that! Lol I love how the prospect of Steve has brought us to the conspiracy theory that is Mr Ancelotti!

Maybe the club didn't want fans going down and being around the ground calling for the manager to be CA, knowing that if he rejects, the anti-Villa media like OliverHoltoftosslandfelchville would make a song and dance about it.

So they have made sure things go quiet.

For what it is worth, I still think it is him...

I still 100% think it will be Ancelotti unveiled as new Villa manager. Today was the perfect way to snuff out what was pretty severe mounting expectation yesterday among the Villa fans. But it has been done in a way not to completely discredit the possibility and now gives the two parties breathing space to thrash out a deal.

Like someone said earlier, as in the case with Hughes, if Ancelotti really wanted to rule himself out of any jobs he would have issued a statement through his agent, like Hughes did. A few vague comments to an Italian rag mean nothing in my opinion.

Then there's the discrepency between what Carlo reportedly says about not hearing off any English club, and Mat Kendrick who is adamant Villa have been in contact.

Ancelotti says in those quotes that he needs a rest from the game, but one thing that will ALWAYS tempt a manager back into a job is if he knows he is wanted - and let me assure you, Ancelotti will be fully briefed on the fact that Villa fans have been positively buzzing about him for days, as will Lerner. Didn't he say the other week he really wants to stay and manage in England? And now he suddenly wants a year out to "watch" other managers? Pull the other one - don't believe that for a second. He is the only guy that would really unite this fanbase and send a message to the footballing world, and Lerner knows this, so if you think I'm going to believe a few vague quotes from a foreign tabloid you are mistaken.

Mark my words, I'm not ITK or anything of the sort, but we haven't heard the last of Ancelotti yet...

Also, I might be mistaken, but didn't he receive a smaller payoff from Chelsea so that they would remove the clause that said he could not manager another team for 12 months?

Why would he accept less money to remove this clause and then just decide to have 12 months off? Very strange.

Where did you read/hear about this clause? Could be very very relevant...

Got some info,

Can't post it until 3am UK time due to embargo (some yank sports site has the exclusive). I will post it here at 3am.

Sleep well all.

Not Bob Bradley...............Please no!!!

I'm going to bed now.....tomorrow will no doubt be the headline 'Father & Son join Villa'. Or 'Villa keep it in the family'...

I think you could be spot on. I am no Mysteryman but I do have it from a very strong source that Villa have been in contact with Ancelotti and are working on a deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you were correct. Indeed, I am desparately hoping you are.

After years of playing 2 games a week with CL, Villa would be like a holiday for Carlo anyway! :winkold:

Indeed mate. They may have downfalls but one thing the new Villa Board is, is clever. People thinking we are honestly going to sign someone like Steve McClaren must be barking mad when it's clear none of the Villa support want him - do people honestly think Randy & Co aren't fully aware of this? I doubt highly whether they want another situation like Houllier.

One thing Carlo Ancelotti definitely is, is down to earth and knowledgable about the game. He knows what a big club Aston Villa Football Club is. He's already stated he would love to stay in England - even trying to excentuate that fact by saying he would consider managing in the Championship - so do people really think when Villa made contact he refused to even go for a face-to-face talk? I think it's highly unlikely that what people are being fed through the media at present is the truth. Highly unlikely.

It was in Villa's best interests for that "story" to come out today and it was in Carlo's too.

Come in Carlo, your time is up.... :winkold:

True or not.....this posts cheered me up no end. Stirring stuff.

Just had a browse on twitter and Mat Kendrick did say that he has rejected us. He usually is spot on, I can't see him saying something like that and then Villa appointing Ancelotti a few days later. It would damage his credibility as a journalist. I don't know :(

Matt Kendrick

Lerner jets in to Brum today. He's set to interview new prime candidate + one other (both with Prem experience) over the next few days #avfc

McClaren and who? Probably Benitez seeing as they're both out of work.

MatKendrick Mat Kendrick

Lerner jets in to Brum today. He's set to interview new prime candidate + one other (both with Prem experience) over the next few days #avfc

OMG BUSINESS IS ABOUT TO PICK UP!

Rather than snuff out the expectation of Villa fans maybe the under the radar approach is being used to snuff out the pressure and hounding speculation in Italy and England. Both countries are notorious for their celebrity press. Italy invented paparazzi! I'm keeping hope alive until 1) villa announce they have signed someone else or 2) until ancelotti signs with another club 3)ancelotti issues an official statement from his agent

Btw jurgen klingsman's name is floating around

Matt Kendrick

McClaren and who? Probably Benitez seeing as they're both out of work.

Not saying it is them but Hughton and Curbishley are under the radar.

Exactly, another very valid point.

The trouble is, especially in this country, we have such a vast media set-up, all desperate to break the story first that we hear new "developments" every half day/day when in reality it is just news company's trying to fill space. None of them know anything!

People should seriously stop believing all this bullshit spewed from the Press and also stop studying the betting odds untill you are blue in the face. I know it's easy too, because I'm guilty myself.

Randy, particularly after Houllier, will really want this next appointment to unite the fans. I'll eat my left bollock if Steve McClaren gets appointed, it's just not going to happen. On the other hand, it couldn't be any clearer who the Villa fans want. Lerner knows this, and that is far more important than any newspaper article written in the last 7 days or the next 7 days.