Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

IF we did take MON back then he would be under so much pressure to deliver that there would be no movement for any **** ups.

But surely this would undermine the whole club having this self-righteous prick back?

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from his tenure at Twente, he's been an average manager at best and he was truly awful at Wolfsburg. Compare his record against someone like Rafa, and Mclaren is far from the perfect candidate.

I think Villa can do better than 'Steve'

How can you be a good coach but a crap manager - I mean how would you know ? -

Stuart Gray was always touted as a top coach - but so far as I am aware never did anything to justify his tag

I think top managers have something coaches do not. An allureness about them. I've a book on how business can learn from football and top sports when dealing with management and they talk of Fergie quite alot and say that he never gets too close to the players, and has the aura of a father figure that they love but fear at the same time.

McClown's problem is he has always been far too matey with players, so they automatically see him as no threat, that they can do what they want without fear of his wrath so to speak. Top managers have a stern coldness underneath their exterior. Fergie, Clough, Mourinho, Hiddink, even Dither. You just wouldn't **** them about really.

The first thing Capello did when he took over from McLaren was teach the England bunch manners - he cut out all the nicknames and made the players address him as Mr Capello. He also made them turn up for dinner on time and stay until everyone was finished. They're tiny things but just show the players who's boss. He also kind of suggested the players basically ran the England show under McLaren's management.

Not best examples really as England in general are still shit under Capello.

Last world cup was laughbly bad.

That guy on avillafan.com is still intent it will be Ancelotti and that the article today is "smoke and mirrors". I really want to believe him. :(

I want to as well but don't. We may as well convince ourselves he isn't coming. So if he doesn't come we won't be hurt but if he does it will feel 100 times better lol

Quick question, Notting Villa, I apologise as I've not seen you post information before, have you (or has he) posted reliable ITK information before? Because I tend to get tired in about an hour and nod off, tempted to stay up till 3 and find out.

That guy on avillafan.com is still intent it will be Ancelotti and that the article today is "smoke and mirrors". I really want to believe him. :(

I want to as well but don't. We may as well convince ourselves he isn't coming. So if he doesn't come we won't be hurt but if he does it will feel 100 times better lol

Me 2! I'll only believe anything to do with Ancelotti now if I see a super duper wuper high resolution photo of him signing a paper next to Randy Lerner at BMH.

Anyone staying up until 3am for some "itk" info needs their head checking!

Even if he's right (which, let's face it, based on probability alone it's very very unlikely that he is), the info will still be there in the morning!

I don't know why he can't just come out and say whether we'll all like it or not. If it's the latter I can get myself off to bed way before 3 as I don't want to have nightmares of MON and McClaren.

I still 100% think it will be Ancelotti unveiled as new Villa manager. Today was the perfect way to snuff out what was pretty severe mounting expectation yesterday among the Villa fans. But it has been done in a way not to completely discredit the possibility and now gives the two parties breathing space to thrash out a deal.

Like someone said earlier, as in the case with Hughes, if Ancelotti really wanted to rule himself out of any jobs he would have issued a statement through his agent, like Hughes did. A few vague comments to an Italian rag mean nothing in my opinion.

Then there's the discrepency between what Carlo reportedly says about not hearing off any English club, and Mat Kendrick who is adamant Villa have been in contact.

Ancelotti says in those quotes that he needs a rest from the game, but one thing that will ALWAYS tempt a manager back into a job is if he knows he is wanted - and let me assure you, Ancelotti will be fully briefed on the fact that Villa fans have been positively buzzing about him for days, as will Lerner. Didn't he say the other week he really wants to stay and manage in England? And now he suddenly wants a year out to "watch" other managers? Pull the other one - don't believe that for a second. He is the only guy that would really unite this fanbase and send a message to the footballing world, and Lerner knows this, so if you think I'm going to believe a few vague quotes from a foreign tabloid you are mistaken.

Mark my words, I'm not ITK or anything of the sort, but we haven't heard the last of Ancelotti yet...

McClaren is real worry

He probably would do OK with a side in Prem again in fairness...i just would prefer it not to be with us as the instant negativity towards him for multiple reasons would be overwhelming and not pretty and after a poor season is not what we need .

MON returning talk is just too out there for me to even have an opinion on !

I still 100% think it will be Ancelotti unveiled as new Villa manager. Today was the perfect way to snuff out what was pretty severe mounting expectation yesterday among the Villa fans. But it has been done in a way not to completely discredit the possibility and now gives the two parties breathing space to thrash out a deal.

Like someone said earlier, as in the case with Hughes, if Ancelotti really wanted to rule himself out of any jobs he would have issued a statement through his agent, like Hughes did. A few vague comments to an Italian rag mean nothing in my opinion.

Then there's the discrepency between what Carlo reportedly says about not hearing off any English club, and Mat Kendrick who is adamant Villa have been in contact.

Ancelotti says in those quotes that he needs a rest from the game, but one thing that will ALWAYS tempt a manager back into a job is if he knows he is wanted - and let me assure you, Ancelotti will be fully briefed on the fact that Villa fans have been positively buzzing about him for days, as will Lerner. Didn't he say the other week he really wants to stay and manage in England? And now he suddenly wants a year out to "watch" other managers? Pull the other one - don't believe that for a second. He is the only guy that would really unite this fanbase and send a message to the footballing world, and Lerner knows this, so if you think I'm going to believe a few vague quotes from a foreign tabloid you are mistaken.

Mark my words, I'm not ITK or anything of the sort, but we haven't heard the last of Ancelotti yet...

I think you could be spot on. I am no Mysteryman but I do have it from a very strong source that Villa have been in contact with Ancelotti and are working on a deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you were correct. Indeed, I am desparately hoping you are.

After years of playing 2 games a week with CL, Villa would be like a holiday for Carlo anyway! :winkold:

I pretty much feel the same and posted something similar earlier. I think once Randy lands and gets to work, he will get his man. Ancelotti would have released a statement like you said, not some random quotes. He would have said I categorically do not want the Villa job, all he said was there hasn't been an approach which is probably true. We need to be patient and see what happens...

I really really hope you're right. The problem with me is when I get my heart set on a manager it takes me ages to get over it when they're not coming. Last year it was Hitzfeld (there was a false rumour going round after the Vienna game that he was in the crowd) and now it's Ancelotti. I desperately want him not just because of his pedigree but because of how we'd all be buzzing if it happened. I remember how great it was on here when Bent signed but this would be twice as big.

One thing though, I still don't really see the benefit of snuffing out the expectation, other than that we'll be even more happy if it did happen.

Also, I might be mistaken, but didn't he receive a smaller payoff from Chelsea so that they would remove the clause that said he could not manager another team for 12 months?

Why would he accept less money to remove this clause and then just decide to have 12 months off? Very strange.