Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deschamps really? I rather like us to go for Rudi Garcia from OSC Lille. He built Lille from being a mediocre team to title contenders. This man is exactly what we need. And this season didn't only win Ligue 1 but Coup d'France as well. Deschamps..

And Deschamps won the league and the Coup de Ligue the season before, after 17 trophiless seasons. He also won the Coup de Ligue this season, as well as over achieving with Monaco and doing ok with Juventus. He's also as respected as they come for his playing career and would have far bigger pull in the transfer market.

Rudi Garcia is ok, but he's been well backed at Lille by the owners and only has one sucessful season behind him.

I would be happy with Garcia or Deschamps.

How can his opinion be wrong? Would it be wrong to say Liverpool haven't won a trophy since Pako Ayestaran left?

Cup runs are great but hardly indicate progress as your neighbours will testify.

Pako left in the summer of 2007. Our highest league position and best form under Rafa came in 2009.

I think what we also need to remember is, Rafa had to work under those Clowns Hicks and Gillette towards the end of his spell at Anfield. That probably didn't help his cause, having all that uncertainty going on in the background.

If the Tottenham vacancy was available, you have to wonder if they would have been successful hiring Carlo. I would have said yes. I mean what the **** are the board playing at not contacting him. Gutless again.

I'm actually expecting Fulham to get a better manager than us now. The board are rather limited when it comes to making decisions.

"Lerner made contact with Ancelotti’s representatives last week and is waiting for a definitive response about the 51-year-old’s feeling about Villa’s vacancy."

www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news

Who to believe?

I reckon Randy should keep everybody guessing.. call a press conference to be shown live on Sky or something & then simply say.... "Ladies & Gentlemen.... I would like to introduce the new Aston Villa manager....... then drum roll

.lights flashing.

Strobe on

out walks

........................................ .> CARLO ANCELOTTI :D:D:D

Who announces the new manager is Steve Mclaren :twisted::twisted:

LOL I really wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry! :shock:

Where is Randy ? - Apparently he hasn't been the uk for a while........that means the new manager choice is down to PF .....and that could be why Mclaren is such short odds ?

Pretty sure Randy has a phone and will be involved in the decision :!:

Probably right - but I would prefer it if he were here pulling the strings. I m starting to precribe to the 'he's lost interst theory' - you ain't gonna nail a top manager via the telephone.

I might put a few quid on easy option Mclallister

If we have not approached Ancelotti, just confirms my worst fears about the board. Lerner has a terrible record of appointing coaches and Faulkner has no experience of football. We desperately need a football man on the board, with a better handle on the modern game than GT. McClarens appointment, coming hard on the heels of Young's departure would unleash a firestorm of protest that would drive a wedge between us and the club, undoing at a stroke all the good work that has gone into improving relationships with supporters. If we struggle next season under a McClaren/Martinez type manager then I would expect the first calls for Lerner to go would begin to be heard. Just saying....

Of the touted contenders that we know are available, it has to be said that Benitez has by far the most impressive track record. In fact, after Ancelotti, he is the most decorated manager under discussion.

Personally, I grew to really dislike the man during his time at Liverpool and found his manner to be unnecessarily antagonistic, if not unsportsmanlike. Having said that, I am beginning to wonder if this - or at least a much greater perception of ruthlessness - may not be such a bad thing at Villa. We have on more than one occasion been found to be too nice for our own good, both on and off the field. Whilst many were openly hostile toward Houllier, much of the fan unrest stemmed from initial disagreement on his appointment that was exascerbated by bizarre tactical decisions, team selections and lacklustre performances - but few would dispute that he has a reputation for being a gentlemen and one of the most liked figures in the game. Benitez would almost certainly be somewhat different and maybe that's what we need.

I could never have imagined Benitez at the club until only a short time ago, but there would be a lot of sense in appointing him taken on his merits as a manager and the success he has enjoyed with Valencia and Liverpool (if not Inter). He would be divisive - and I'm not sure we really want to have another manager who will find it hard to win over sections of the crowd - let alone following the precedent of appointing a second successive ex-Liverpool boss - no matter what kind of start he gets off to. But unless Moyes can be persuaded to leave Everton - and I still think on balance he is the best man for the job - then Benitez may well be the best realistic option we could go for., and one that would offer a degree of continuity in terms of the more technical, continental thinking that Houllier was introducing but considerably firming us as a defensive unit so that we are not as much of a soft touch - especially away from home - as we were for much of last season.

I'm also encouraged by how hungry he appears to be to get another Premier League job, having turned down offers back in Spain. He may actually be more motivated to prove himself at a club like Villa than Ancelotti would've been and if he can translate that hunger into results the way he did during his first few seasons at Liverpool then he could be very successful here.

It would be a gamble - like any appointment will inevitably be - but more so on the basis of fan reaction than for footballing reasons. You could apply the same logic to Steve McLaren but he doesn't have anything like the track record that Benitez can boast and so, for that reason, should be avoided because there are other choices available who are at least as good that wouldn't be greeted with the same level of hostility. Benitez, on the other hand, may possibly be worth taking the chance on.

Where is Randy ? - Apparently he hasn't been the uk for a while........that means the new manager choice is down to PF .....and that could be why Mclaren is such short odds ?

What have you got against Paul Faulkner? Or is this just the usual you dont know what your talking about bollocks?

Probably right - but I would prefer it if he were here pulling the strings. I m starting to precribe to the 'he's lost interst theory' - you ain't gonna nail a top manager via the telephone.

Gabby Logan put on her Twitter that she had bumped into McAllister in Leeds last week. GM was pretty sure he was leaving as soon as the new man came in.

But Randy doesn't need to be involved in the initial negotiations, finding out who's interested. I'm sure he's had some input as to who would be on a short list (but not to much) and once someone from that list is coming in for serious talks Randy will be in the UK. He really doesn't need to be here the whole time.

I know everyone's upset about Ancelotti stating he wants a "year off from football", but bearing in mind how we played last season whose to say that him taking charge of us doesn't constitute a year off from football? :)