Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to admit I would have gotten all excited had he come, but (and check my previous posts) I did have more than one or two nagging doubts about him… mostly over his far from impressive record with top clubs (UCL successes aside).

For me I have always had Moyes in mind as the best outcome. People will point to a lack of trophies, but success is all relative to the club you’re at, consistent top half finishes on a small budget (often coming ahead of us in the MON era) is a better achievement than a handful of trophies in 15 to 20 years at top top clubs.

I only hope that Yankee in Madrid’s news the other night proves to be true and we get him in. Any news on this since the other night YIM?

I totally agree with the bearded one. :lol: Ancelotti would have been exciting and very high profile, but Moyes would be a far more pragmatic choice imo.

the only glimmer of hope is why would ancelotti tell an italian newspaper? wouldnt his agent do a press release? bearing in mind his status in world football?

if an average manager like mark hughes makes a press release when he resigns from fulham, why wouldnt a top manager?

Benitez is a tactical genius with encyclopaedic knowledge of the game.

Zonal marking, 65th min subs and rotation will drive you nuts until you check the stats and see that they all pay-off over the course of a season.

Deschamps.. does our board even know about him?

I would imagine so.

I'm sure there are a lot of "feelers" going out to agents etc to see who may or may not be interested. Just because we haven't had contact with Ancelotti it doesn't mean there was not an off the record chat with his agent in which we were told he wasn't interested. Just because Deschamps has hardly been mentioned it doesn't mean we haven't tried to find out if he'd be interested. (Although, I think he hasn't been mentioned because he is unattainable for us and destined for a bigger when he's finished with OM).

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed he will take a one-year sabbatical from coaching after being dismissed by Chelsea last month.

The Italian tactician had one year left on his contract with the Blues but was sacked on the final day of the campaign after two seasons in charge.

Ancelotti has been linked with the coaching position of newly-promoted QPR, who are managed by Neil Warnock, as well as the vacancies at Fulham and Aston Villa. He has also been a reported target of Serie A club Roma, for whom he enjoyed great success as a player.

"I am in no hurry to coach and I don't need to," Ancelotti told Italian newspaper La Stampa.

"I have not been contacted by any club in England and I have not spoken to Roma. It is all fantasy.

"I have enjoyed this experience (of coaching in England). I will return to London to organise my life.

"Besides a six-month break, I have been coaching non-stop since 1995. I will take a year off and look around, study how my colleagues work."

Ancelotti enjoyed a successful playing career at Roma between 1979 and 1987 and has never hidden his wish to guide the capital city club in the future.

"I have always said and I reiterate it that one day I will coach Roma, but it's still early," he said.

Ancelotti led Chelsea to the Premier League and FA Cup double in his first season in charge but finished trophyless at the end of the 2010-11 campaign.

Some confirmation of what we all now know

T o be honest, all that tells me nothing.

All i see is someone trying to be diplomatic.

Zonal marking, 65th min subs and rotation will drive you nuts until you check the stats and see that they all pay-off over the course of a season.

Benitez is a man who lost his second in command and then went on to lose his brains.

Also, your post before this saying "you lot" presumably refers to "Villa fans", of which there tend to be a lot on here because it's our **** messageboard.

whats he like at transfers and building a team over a couple of years?

i seem to remember he bought loads & loads of players at Liverpool?

These are rumours but I am passing on for you all to digest however you wish.

1. A journalist friend of mine says his mate spotted McClaren and Glenn Roeder in talks with some men in suits in Manchester today. It may not be Villa but if it is God help us.

2. Another journalist friend of mine is good mates with a football agent, who has claimed McClaren is our number one target.

As I say this could well be just idle gossip.

I hope the real contender has been kept under wraps and that none of the media are correct but I am not feeling confident about that at the mo.

No to McClaren!