Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Rafa - dismal anti-football, spent a fortune on some real duds, known to have a tantrum...the worst possible choice.

Obviously you're entitled to favour whichever managerial appointment you like.

But with respect, that isn't a very well-informed assessment at all.

What would you suggest then? Maybe ask a few fans on a Liverpool board and bring it back here for us to look over? Not a lot of us are fans of his.

Edit: that sounds sarcastic and I want to assure you, it is not written with that intent, I am genuinely interested.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that it's only a bit of recent betting, but if it IS Benitez, there's something that some people on here need to contemplate. In Rafa's words - THE FACTS!

-He's a dour man at times, stubborn and sarcastic at his worst - but he WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and got to another final.

-Some don't like his defensive side and zonal marking, squad rotations etc but he WON TWO LA LIGA TITLES

-He's not the flavour of the month after his Liverpool showing, but the last club that wanted him were at the time EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

-He's not going to be as popular as Ancelotti on here, but IN COMPARISON WITH OUR PREVIOUS BOSSES, HE'S ACTUALLY IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE RESULTS-WISE!

I'm not his greatest fan, but you have to consider the 'facts' that he has won more in his career than Aston Villa have in their history. We could do worse, no?

Ps. I didn't even have to mention the FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA cups, etc did I?

Rafa - dismal anti-football, spent a fortune on some real duds, known to have a tantrum...the worst possible choice.

Redman, your assessment will do for me, lets get him....

How much could someone bet on a manager, based on some inside info, without getting in trouble?

As much as you want. You can't get in trouble for have info, but you might get your 'insider' into trouble for leaking it ;)

Plenty of people have already made big bets on Rafa anyway!

ex scouser - nuff said.

I know that it's only a bit of recent betting, but if it IS Benitez, there's something that some people on here need to contemplate. In Rafa's words - THE FACTS!

-He's a dour man at times, stubborn and sarcastic at his worst - but he WON THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and got to another final.

-Some don't like his defensive side and zonal marking, squad rotations etc but he WON TWO LA LIGA TITLES

-He's not the flavour of the month after his Liverpool showing, but the last club that wanted him were at the time EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS

-He's not going to be as popular as Ancelotti on here, but IN COMPARISON WITH OUR PREVIOUS BOSSES, HE'S ACTUALLY IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE RESULTS-WISE!

I'm not his greatest fan, but you have to consider the 'facts' that he has won more in his career than Aston Villa have in their history. We could do worse, no?

Whilst assessing the facts, check out his win percentage during his career, head and shoulders above any manger we've had in revent years (with the exception of Inter, where I believe he only had something like 26 games)

You are aware that if the FSW is our manager he will bring his own team in....thus dispensing of our youth academy staff..he did at Liverpool.

What would you suggest then? Maybe ask a few fans on a Liverpool board and bring it back here for us to look over? Not a lot of us are fans of his.

Edit: that sounds sarcastic and I want to assure you, it is not written with that intent, I am genuinely interested.

It might be worth reading the following excerpts from Brian Reade's recent book. These shed a lot of light on the sort of nonsense Rafa had to deal with during his time at Liverpool:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-was-dragged-to-its-knees-during-the-shambolic-reign-of-US-owners-Tom-Hicks-and-George-Gillett-article725227.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-co-owner-thought-Steven-Gerrard-was-gay-article725313.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Day-Three-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-owners-Hicks-and-Gillett-betrayed-Rafa-Benitez-and-wooed-Jurgen-Klinsmann-article725482.html

I went for Gus Poyet. Has done well at Brighton so far and is a younger manager with something to prove. I've always been impressed with him in interviews, he comes across as very switched on and passionate, has played at the highest level and know the English game inside out. I think he'd be willing to work with most of the existing squad too and build for the future rather than buying shit loads of expensive foreign imports.

You are aware that if the FSW is our manager he will bring his own team in....thus dispensing of our youth academy staff..he did at Liverpool.

If it means us being successful, sometimes you have to accept change. You can't keep everything as it is, then complain about mediocrity - simple as that.

I think his win percentage at Inter was still something like 45% which is 20% above Houllier's, yes Rafa had a better team but that is a massive leap.

Still, redman, would you do as I requested? :)

It might be worth reading the following excerpts from Brian Reade's recent book. These shed a lot of light on the sort of nonsense Rafa had to deal with during his time at Liverpool:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-was-dragged-to-its-knees-during-the-shambolic-reign-of-US-owners-Tom-Hicks-and-George-Gillett-article725227.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-co-owner-thought-Steven-Gerrard-was-gay-article725313.html

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Brian-Reade-An-Epic-Swindle-44-Months-With-A-Pair-Of-Cowboys-Day-Three-Read-extract-of-how-Liverpool-owners-Hicks-and-Gillett-betrayed-Rafa-Benitez-and-wooed-Jurgen-Klinsmann-article725482.html

What was his exuse at Internazionale then?

Are you sure about that?

On european cups, 1 each

on every other measure? FAIL

I just can't quite believe the amount of seemingly intelligent villa fans that have become so picky that they wouldn't bite the hand off of a massively successful manager with bucketloads of contacts in the top leagues just because he came to a ignominious end at Liverpool.

Whilst assessing the facts, check out his win percentage during his career, head and shoulders above any manger we've had in revent years (with the exception of Inter, where I believe he only had something like 26 games)

Also, replacing Jose can't be too easy a task either I guess. A bit like Houllier replacing MON. The next manager at Man Utd faces a tough task in following Fergie etc. I'm warming to Rafa. Don't know why. I still think Hughes will be the man although the evidence says otherwise.

no don't read it. Its just more scouse hype. Trust your instincts - RAFA is a shit manager

Are you sure about that?

On european cups, 1 each

on every other measure? FAIL

I hold my hands up there - a bit hyperbolic - but consider the recent history and you can see the point I'm making, I'm sure.

Considering how well your academy is doing, my guess is he'd leave it well alone.

He fought for control of the Liverpool academy for years - not because he was on a power trip but because it wasn't producing any quality.

Finally, he got his way in 2009 - appointed Borrell and Segura (ex La Masia) to run the show and now the youngsters are emerging.

This current crop of kids coming through at Liverpool is Rafa's legacy.