Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Has anyone mentioned Louis Van Gaal on here?

He's out of work so would cost no compo and he has the kind of footballing philosophy that we are looking for! He brought a lot of the youth team players through at Bayern, got them to the CL final and likes to play attacking football. Remember that this is the guy who had Mourinho has his number two when at Barca!

I would love us to go for him rather than Ancelotti if I am honest. I just think that CA works better when only coaching and not buying the players. He also didn't appear to develop much from the youth set up at AC Milan, where most of his players were older than me! I think our youth system would develop better and be put to much better use by the likes of a Van Gaal or Moyes.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new era has emerged with these football club forums, they're starting to have an affect on the decisions being made at the top levels. I really do think that Randy takess H&V and VT into consideration, it's one of the only ways he will get a direct idea of what the fans want, as far as a manager is concerned, at this time. I sincerely think he will do the right thing and try and get Ancelotti.

I disagree from a perspective of hope more than anything else. This place has a bad reputation due to a vocal minority and I really wouldn't want their opinions clouding the judgment of professionals.

A new era has emerged with these football club forums, they're starting to have an affect on the decisions being made at the top levels. I really do think that Randy takess H&V and VT into consideration, it's one of the only ways he will get a direct idea of what the fans want, as far as a manager is concerned, at this time. I sincerely think he will do the right thing and try and get Ancelotti.

I disagree from a perspective of hope more than anything else. This place has a bad reputation due to a vocal minority and I really wouldn't want their opinions clouding the judgment of professionals.

I don't think there was much call for Houllier, and I'd say the reaction was at best mixed. That said I don't mind how much notice they take, as long as they take note that McClaren would be a very unpopular choice. The new manager will need at least some goodwill from the offset.

Agreed. One would hope that not upsetting the keyboard warriors on villa talk would be rather low on the list of factors the chairman is considering when making this decision.

I've got a feeling for martin jol this morning
That's the pillow you silly bugger

An easy mistake to make. I assume it's a "continental" pillow. I've got one and I wake up feeling jolly every morning.

Are you sue that your not mistaking Martin for either of his two brothers Cock and Dick?

From the mail:

RANDY Lerner will not rush a managerial appointment and it is likely to be at least another week and most probably longer before Gerard Houllier’s successor is unveiled.

Villa are patently aware of the need for a rapid resolution to their search for a new boss and are likely to adopt a speedier recruitment process than they did last summer.

But the time-frame is fluid and much will depend on whether the claret and blues ultimately settle upon an out-of-work boss or one who is currently contracted to another club.

Of the free agents in the running, Villa are continuing their bold pursuit of former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, while Martin Jol also figures prominently in their thinking.

Contrary to suggestions that Ancelotti has already turned Villa down, the Italian will be given the weekend to mull over their approach before responding early next week.

Jol is highly thought of by Lerner and only the fact he was under contract to Ajax prevented the owner from making a serious play for the former Spurs boss last August.

Former Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has tried to banish his ‘Wally with a Brolly’ reputation from his failed England spell spending time overseas in Holland and Germany.

Although, after his impressive achievements at FC Twente and less encouraging spell at Wolfsburg, the Villa hierarchy are aware McClaren is still unpopular with some supporters.

Rafa Benitez has privately indicated his interest in the Villa vacancy and wants a Premier League return with his family settled in England following his time with Liverpool.

However, Benitez’s demands for total autonomy are Martin O’Neill-esque while, after Houllier, Villa are also wary of appointing boss with strong Anfield connections.

Robert Martinez’s place among the Villa contenders has prompted Wigan owner Dave Whelan to start preparing a bumper new contract to stave off interest in the 37-year-old.

Whelan would still be able to demand compensation for the Spaniard, who has a year left of his current deal, but the Latics chairman is keen to tie him to longer terms.

Villa hope to make an appointment by mid-June at the latest by sticking to a tighter schedule than last year when almost six weeks passed between O’Neill leaving and Houllier starting.

Ideally, it will be more straightforward than back then when they spoke to Sven Goran Eriksson, Alan Curbishley and Kevin MacDonald at length before deciding on Houllier.

This time, providing everything runs smoothly, Villa will hold a thorough interview with their prime candidate and only if there is a snag will they speak to anybody else in detail.

Meanwhile, Houllier has revealed Villa blocked his plans to resume work on a part time basis until he was fit enough to return fully in late August/early September.

The departed boss suggested easing himself back in and delegating some duties to coaches Gary McAllister and Gordon Cowans, but Villa were worried about another early season period of turmoil like last year if he was subsequently unable to come back.

“I almost died,” said Houllier. “The doctors advised me to not resume before late in August or early in September. So it was a problem.

“The officials were also scared my comeback could be postponed again at that time. I can understand that. The risk exists.

“They are still traumatised with what happened last year, when Martin O’Neill left five days before the start of the season. So they didn’t want such a possibility to happen again.”

Click

If Fulham appoint a manager quickly ie: Jol or even MON would that allow them to slacken the embargo on Hughes talking to potential suitors earlier than 30th June?

Clearly the current situation and Randy's apparent desire to act honourably and properly means its hard for Villa to show any active or even apparent interest in an out of work manager who is restricted from approaching or being approached by any other club.

The London Evening Standard says Carlo Ancelotti last night ruled himself out of the running for the job at Villa and has headed back to Italy on holiday.

well thats a bit of a difference to what Mat Kendrick has written.

Probably more believable that he laughed it off and went back home..

Mat could just be softening the fans for Randy to at least show we tried before we sign Hughes.

houllier actually wanted us to wait for him maybe late august/september AFTER the season had started. what land does he live in. good decision by randy.

the new manager i really am torn. i want someone who is a big name to pull in big international names i.e. ancelotti, van gaal but i also really want a manager who really gets into it like hughes and moyes. jumping around on the touchline but they just dont have the pull for big players. either way i want a manager who is going to be here long term, wants to be at the club, can attract good players, works with youth and doesnt see us as a stepping stone.

was warming to hughes but then his agent is kia joorabchian and i feel he would play up like he has at fulham

Former Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren has tried to banish his ‘Wally with a Brolly’ reputation from his failed England spell spending time overseas in Holland and Germany.

Although, after his impressive achievements at FC Twente and less encouraging spell at Wolfsburg, the Villa hierarchy are aware McClaren is still unpopular with some supporters.

WTF?! That's beyond understatement of the situation. That's so inaccurate it's close to being tantamount to pro-McClaren propaganda!

I'm aware some have posted that the clown wouldn't be a bad appointment. The overwhelming majority of right-thinking fans are rightfully horrified at the prospect.

even talk sport are saying that mclaren would be terrible for us.dont like the managers they think we should have though 1 said rafa and the other said curbishley. hope there wrong. no ancelotti named. has he been ruled out yet?

even talk sport are saying that mclaren would be terrible for us.dont like the managers they think we should have though 1 said rafa and the other said curbishley. hope there wrong. no ancelotti named. has he been ruled out yet?

Talksport is the radio equivalent of two blokes arguing down the pub. They are not ITK.

John Terry would welcome the reappointment of Guus Hiddink as Chelsea manager and believes the Dutchman's return to the club would provide some much-needed stability.

So what does that say about Ancellotti!

Is he implying that Ancellotti wasn't bonding the players just as Gh has been accused of.

just read martin jol's career stats and he looks impressive. has good win percentages, has the international experience, pl expierence , bought some quality players while he was there berbatov, lennon, bent, bale. so why are we no that interested on him on viila talk????

John Terry would welcome the reappointment of Guus Hiddink as Chelsea manager and believes the Dutchman's return to the club would provide some much-needed stability.

So what does that say about Ancellotti!

Is he implying that Ancellotti wasn't bonding the players just as Gh has been accused of.

Could be just headlines.. or i'd imagine Ancelotti's job was on the line for most of the season and the players knew he would probably get the sack.. that is hardly stability.. to me Chelsea looked great and they were enjoying their football in the first half of the season.. even more so they looked like they would get the title.. but since Wilkins left the squad hasn't been the same and also the inclusion of Torres has destroyed the team togetherness imo.