Emile Heskey

R.Bear

1st half he was our best player. Looked really up for it and was causing some problems.

2nd half it became clear that the only way we were looking to score was to hit Heskey it in air and try and build off the knock downs.

Frankly that is a scary strategy and what was more worrying was there seemed to be no plan B.

Heskey is no attacking midfielder or deep lying striker. Equally Gabby is no winger. If we keep with that plan/team it will be a long season.

Frankly that is a scary strategy and what was more worrying was there seemed to be no plan B.

Heskey is no attacking midfielder or deep lying striker.

The truly scary part is it was that part of his game, when he dropped in to an ACM/link striker role and sat on Murphy, that Big Eck seems to be praising him for. MON also used to ask Heskey to do this and it is just not what his game is about!

I would have liked to see Bannan in that possition today

Just wondering if you watched the game mate? No point scoring involved at all just curious.

As I think bannan would have been eaten alive by Etuhu. Who heskey had in his pocket all game.

I thought he was great saturday. He does all the dirty work. But becasue he doesn't score 20 yrd screamers his labelled shit. Shame.

Yes I did watch the game and im curious to what you mean by Heskey having Etuhu in his pocket? Heskey is an attacking player, not defensive(although thats the only reason he was picked).. So are you saying that the holding/defensive midfielder at Fulham was kept out of the game by our attacking/creative player? You also do realise that Etuhu, when ever he got the ball gave it away, even when Heskey was nowhere near him? He was useless!

Or do you mean Heskey as an attacking player gave Etuhu the run around creating chance after chance for Bent? Like Bannan would of?

Petrov and Delph were our deep lying midfielders, Delph rarely came forward and they kinda played side by side all game.. Heskey was in effect playing in a playmaker's possition to create chances..Yet we had 1 shot on goal all game. Gabby got little service, so too did N'Zogbia and when they did get the ball there was no ot little support. Bannan or Ireland(I prefer Bannan as he works harder) is the answer in that possition because they would offer far more support for our front players in N'Zogbia, Gabby and Bent...

Just wondering if you watched the game mate? No point scoring involved at all just curious.

As I think bannan would have been eaten alive by Etuhu. Who heskey had in his pocket all game.

I thought he was great saturday. He does all the dirty work. But becasue he doesn't score 20 yrd screamers his labelled shit. Shame.

Yes I did watch the game and im curious to what you mean by Heskey having Etuhu in his pocket? Heskey is an attacking player, not defensive(although thats the only reason he was picked).. So are you saying that the holding/defensive midfielder at Fulham was kept out of the game by out attacking player? You also do realise that Etuhu, when ever he got the ball gave it away? He was useless!

Or do you mean Heskey as an attacking player gave Etuhu the run around creating chance after chance for Bent? Like Bannan would of?

Petrov and Delph were deep lying midfielders, Delph rarely came forward and they kinda played side by side all game.. Heskey was in effect in a playmaker's possition to create chances..Yet we had 1 shot on goal all game. Gabby got little service, so too did N'Zogbia and when they did get the ball there was no support.

Firstly, I agree with your analysis.

Secondly, I disagree that BB is the solution. He looks at his best, to me, when he plays from deep and has time to get his head up and pick out a pass. I don't think he would be the same player in the hustle and bustle of the ACM role. I have seen nothing to make me think that he is capable of linking up with Bent?

The only options we have for the ACM role, IMHO, are SI, possibly Gardner, although he is still young and certainly should not be relied on yet, and maybe the Zog, but the latter would require further reinforcements out wide.

Yes I did watch the game and im curious to what you mean by Heskey having Etuhu in his pocket? Heskey is an attacking player, not defensive(although thats the only reason he was picked).. So are you saying that the holding/defensive midfielder at Fulham was kept out of the game by out attacking player? You also do realise that Etuhu, when ever he got the ball gave it away? He was useless!

Petrov and Delph were deep lying midfielders, Delph rarely came forward and they kinda played side by side all game.. Heskey was in effect in a playmaker's possition to create chances..Yet we had 1 shot on goal all game. Gabby got little service, so too did N'Zogbia and when they did get the ball there was no support.

Firstly, I agree with your analysis.

Secondly, I disagree that BB is the solution. He looks at his best, to me, when he plays from deep and has time to get his head up and pick out a pass. I don't think he would be the same player in the hustle and bustle of the ACM role. I have seen nothing to make me think that he is capable of linking up with Bent?

The only options we have for the ACM role, IMHO, are SI, possibly Gardner, although he is still young and certainly should not be relied on yet, and maybe the Zog, but the latter would require further reinforcements out wide.

The only reason we had hustle and bustle, was because we had players in the middle that spend too long on the ball..Makoun, Delph and Bannan would have been a better midfield for quicker passing, more possession and more chances..Delivering a better game for the fans...We should be going into these games to win, we have a fantastic striker in Darren Bent and should be using him to his strengths, not isolating him.

I disagree that BB is the solution. He looks at his best, to me, when he plays from deep and has time to get his head up and pick out a pass. I don't think he would be the same player in the hustle and bustle of the ACM role. I have seen nothing to make me think that he is capable of linking up with Bent?

The only reason we had hustle and bustle, was because we had players in the middle that spend too long on the ball..Makoun, Delph and Bannan would have been a better midfield for quicker passing, more possession and more chances..Delivering a better game for the fans...We should be going into these games to win, we have a fantastic striker in Darren Bent and should be using him to his strengths, not isolating him.

Simply put, you always get hustle and bustle in and around the opposition CBs/DCM (around the edge of the opposition box where an ACM would typically play) unless you play a fast break game as teams (unless they have Stan playing) will try to crowd this area. In which case you tend to find the space out wide or in deeper lying positions. This is where I believe BB is more suited.

My point is one of balance and depth. I think Makoun, Delph and BB are all good quick passers BUT they all like to play the same role/position which I would term playmaker. This player tends to sir deeper and control the game, as say Xavi for Barca or Alonso when he was at Plop.

My point was that I haven't seen anything from BB that makes me think he would be an effective advanced midfielder. I suppose it is a fair point to say that he might be a more effective ACM than Heskey though.

I disagree that BB is the solution. He looks at his best, to me, when he plays from deep and has time to get his head up and pick out a pass. I don't think he would be the same player in the hustle and bustle of the ACM role. I have seen nothing to make me think that he is capable of linking up with Bent?

Simply put, you always get hustle and bustle in and around the opposition CBs/DCM (around the edge of the opposition box where an ACM would typically play) unless you play a fast break game as teams (unless they have Stan playing) will try to crowd this area. In which case you tend to find the space out wide or in deeper lying positions. This is where I believe BB is more suited.

My point is one of balance and depth. I think Makoun, Delph and BB are all good quick passers BUT they all like to play the same role/position which I would term playmaker. This player tends to sir deeper and control the game, as say Xavi for Barca or Alonso when he was at Plop.

My point was that I haven't seen anything from BB that makes me think he would be an effective advanced midfielder. I suppose it is a fair point to say that he might be a more effective ACM than Heskey though.

Its annoying because I cant think of the game or the player he passed to...But in one game last season Bannan put in one of the best passes ive seen at Villa in long time, its was perfectly weighted to the front player..The vision, timing, weight of the pass was top drawer, my eyes just popped out..Thats what Bent needs, a little guy that sits in there, moving about, in and out, who has the ability to feed him with little through balls, perfect chips etc.. He similar to Makoun but further up field, the type of guy Makoun finds etc.. Makoun cant do the same because he dosnt have the agility that Bannan has. I dont mean agility as in dribbling either, I mean little runs, almost like a Jack Russel dog in and around the oppossition danger area..He seriously can be a nuisance to any defender.

And another highlight is that he has a decent eye for goal and shot too..

But saying that I also agree with you that he can play the Makoun role, yet he dosnt have the strength Makoun has...But these 2 players in the middle are both execellent with vision, passing etc...I just think Bannan edges it regards agility and body movement..And Makoun edges it in body strength!

What I can't work out is why we felt it was so important to man mark Danny Murphy. Is this what we have come to ?. What next week, pick him to man mark Jason Roberts ?.

I cannot believe we came to that, honest I can't.

This is simple, you play Heksey, you kill Bent. If thats what McLeish wants to do, then the board will reep what they have sown.

I will go along with playing Heskey for Saturday as I can see the "we need to get a point on the board" mentality. But thats it, I don't care whether it is Ireland, Albrighton, Makoun, or whomever -the guy should be out the side from Saturday for a more creative player.

Heskey should only be used for a 10 minute appearance, when we are either under the cosh, or holding a lead and need a hold up man - and thats it.

(however, I must say, I cannot fathom why that is three managers who seem to think we need him in the side !)

Every manager that Heskey has played for thought he did a good job for their respective teams. They've respected his contribution for the last 15 years, so I think he deserves a little bit more respect from us non-professionals. He always gives total commitment to the shirt. Good on yer Emile.

I have always maintained that Emile Heskey is one of the worst players ever to don our hallowed kit & have seen no evidence to change my mind.

Quite simply he is a glorified parks player & that's putting it mildly.

Hmm? :? Fabio Capello doesn't agree with you.

Heskey may not be ultra talented but he does a tough job which frees up his team mates. You really wouldn't want to mark him for 90 minutes.

I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

5 yrs ago , no defender in this country would want to mark Emile Heskey for 90 minutes. Now though, I bet he is a defenders dream, lacks mobility, lacks skill, lacks goal threat.

I honestly think MON, Houllier, Capello and now McLeish have picked Heskey as they think they are the ones to get him "back to the player he was" - when the truth is, they can't.

I don't think its a co-incidence his last two managers were managers he had 10 years ago, and they have both failed with him - I am sure McLeish will fail as well, just hope he realises sooner than later.

I agree with above, not the worst player as such, but for where we were and what we needed and where we could have got to - by far the worst signing the Villa have made in my 30 yrs of watching the club.

Who you believe god knows, believe the club, it was MON, believe Pat Murphy, MON wanted to buy Bent for 12m, the board wouldn't sanction it so he bought Heskey - whatever, and who-ever - it was shocking business !

He is picked because of his work rate and defensive qualities as a forward player. We will lose far less games with Heskey in the side....The problem is, we may not win as many either.

Picking him will always leave us short of options up top...But you can guaratee when the team comes under pressure he can turn into onE hell of a CB.. :winkold:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sick of the Heskey hate tbh, most of it is ill informed rubbish.

Everyone knows his weaknesses but people shpuld appreciate his strengths - they may not be 'glossy' or fashionable - but he's not played too bad at ACM this season and what he'#s done is allow Gabby to look decent on the wing -i t may have only been Blackburn but Gabby looked electric on the left and I'd say alot of that is down to Heskey and the hard work he puts in - Gabby knows if he goes forward Heskey will cover him.

Also Heskey is a very good link man - he's a far better 'link-man / ACM' than young was last season.

He's not long-term / he's probably not the answer / but he's not let us down this season and has offered a lot more than N'zog (for instance) has so far.

FWIW I hope Stephen Ireland if given the chnace flourishes and makes the position his own, and Bannan come in for Delph as I think we'd start to play a nioce game of football but maybe we'd need Albrighton instead of Gabby (as Ireland won't do teh work of Heskey) - but Gabby and Heskey remain key figures for us this season - and until Heskey let's us down then I wish peopel would get off his back

He's done well for us so far this season but in the long term he is holding us back by denying the like of Bannan, Ireland and to a lesser extent Jenas a place in the team. He has a great attitude, work rate and his strength is something that we really lack when he isn't on the pitch but I can't help but feel he shouldn't be starting every game.

Couldnt see another thread.

Looks like he's off to Leicester then. Another one of MON's flops. But for about 5 games at the start of this season, nothing but a frustrating and ineffective let-down. Would that adequately sum up his time here?

The winner vs Wolves the only highlight for me, superb header.

Well, that wasn't the best informed post of all time, was it? :)

Â