General Chat

maqroll

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the radio on in the car last night and they had Peter Reid in as a guest, and it got me thinking about how there is now an entire generation of people who have no idea just how great a player he was back in the day. It is hardly a coincidence that Everton had a period of dominance in the English game in the mid 1980s when he was at his absolute peak (he finished 4th in the Ballon d'Or in 85) and I do wonder how much he would be worth if he were around today. How many other pundits/managers were genuinely world class players too? Gary Lineker is probably the obvious example, I think he had a genuine claim at being the best out and out striker in the world at one point and a 25 year old Graeme Souness would probably walk into any side in the Premier League too. Any others?

Good points.

Lineker was absolutely class and he proved that further at Barcelona; I personally think Rush was better though however I guess his spell at Juventus was difficult.

It's almost impossible to say who was better out of Ian Rush and Gary Lineker. Lineker was prolific at every club he played for and at international level, though the Liverpool side Ian Rush was a key part of was better than any team Lineker turned out for. It really is the toss of a coin, but if I had to pick it would be Lineker, probably because he was England's star player when I was a kid. I wish we had bought Linker from Barcelona in 1989 instead of Spurs. By all accounts Ellis was willing to pay him £10k a week, but Graham Taylor vetoed it because he thought having one player earning so much more than everybody else in the dressing room would break the team spirit. We might have won the title instead of finishing second that year though.

It's almost impossible to say who was better out of Ian Rush and Gary Lineker. Lineker was prolific at every club he played for and at international level, though the Liverpool side Ian Rush was a key part of was better than any team Lineker turned out for. It really is the toss of a coin, but if I had to pick it would be Lineker, probably because he was England's star player when I was a kid. I wish we had bought Linker from Barcelona in 1989 instead of Spurs. By all accounts Ellis was willing to pay him £10k a week, but Graham Taylor vetoed it because he thought having one player earning so much more than everybody else in the dressing room would break the team spirit. We might have won the title instead of finishing second that year though.

Yea, I agree. For some reason I loved both as a kid growing up and I do have a soft spot for Barca as a result.

I really never knew about Lineker being lined up for a switch to Villa, that would have really made us unbeatable!

Delfouneso starting for England U21 vs Iceland. Baker on the bench but Gardner not in the squad.

This is going to be easy for England, Iceland is missing key players and the squad isn't nearly as strong as the age group before them.

Shearer

Dalgish

Mancini

Hansen

Wilkins

Wright

Desailly

Le Tissier

Merson

Gullit

Ince

The 'World Class' Pedigree of some could be disputed, but all great players in their own right.

I'd add Klinsmann and DiCanio to the list

Inzaghi, Vieri, Del Piero, Totti, Signori, Casiraghi, Zola and Chiesa were all better.

though Silenzi got a cap so maybe he should have

True, but I thought we were talking about current managers and pundits only....