General Chat

maqroll

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Southampton end up keeping that hilarious statue they put up a few years back?

:lol:

They had to take it down cos the supporters complained so much, but they put up a replacement soon after.

Still, worth having a chuckle again at the original...

50bates.452024.full.jpg

I **** love this statue, hahaha

Fenerbahce, having been given a 2 match 'behind closed doors' ban, have got around this by only admitting females (for free).

I live within a stones throw of the stadium and it's a constant screech. 50,000 of them at the top of their voice.

Ouch. Bolton are in trouble. This will hit them hard, they will struggle this season. As, actually, I foretold. Elmander, Sturridge, etc gone, Mears and C-Y Lee out for ages, Holden injured.... Davies and Jaaskelainen can't go on forever.

anzhi have sacked their manager after 1 win in 6

going by FM anzhi have spunked a ton of cash on huge name foreign stars but zhirkov is the only decent russian they have bought, the russian league rules only let you have 6 foreigners on the pitch at a time, meaning they have 7 good players but 4 absolutely shite ones playing at the same time, really strange mix making it really hard to find the balance

anzhi have sacked their manager after 1 win in 6

going by FM anzhi have spunked a ton of cash on huge name foreign stars but zhirkov is the only decent russian they have bought, the russian league rules only let you have 6 foreigners on the pitch at a time, meaning they have 7 good players but 4 absolutely shite ones playing at the same time, really strange mix making it really hard to find the balance

Then they do this.

How much do clubs get for a game on sky? Another 800k?

Premier League TV money is divided into three piles.

The first pile is shared equally between the clubs. Half of the UK/Ireland TV rights are put in that pile, to which the entirety of the Rest of World TV rights are added (it should be noted that the foreign rights, which are likely to continue to grow faster than UK/Ireland rights).

The second pile, consisting of a quarter of the UK/Ireland rights, is awarded based on league position. (placing-21)/210 of the total is awarded to each club.

The third pile, also a quarter of the UK/Ireland rights is awarded based on number of appearances on Sky, ESPN, and Setanta Ireland (which shows a Sat 3pm kickoff each round). There's 138 games shown by Sky and ESPN (115 on Sky, 23 on ESPN) and another 38-ish on Setanta Ireland (though I don't know whether those get the same share as a Sky/ESPN game). In theory this "facilities fee" is to compensate clubs for lost attendance due to games being shown; home teams may be the only ones to receive the fee. If it's home games only then a club's share of this is (number_of_home_games_shown_on_ESPN_or_Sky+Setanta_Ireland_adjustment_factor*number_of_home_games_shown_on_Setanta_Ireland)/(138+Setanta_Ireland_adjustment_factor*38, in which case a home game being shown on Sky or ESPN is definitely worth more than one extra place in the league. If it's the case that it's an equal split, then you s/home// in the numerator and double the denominator; except in probably rare cases where the number of home vs. away games is pretty unequal, this doesn't really make a difference.

I'm not completely sure whether the parachute payments to recently relegated clubs are taken off the top before the money is divided into piles or is taken out of the first pile before dividing things up.

There're also minimum and maximum numbers of times that a club can be shown by ESPN and Sky, so on the whole the facilities fees are pretty equal.

This source breaks it down for last season... from the looks of it, only home and away games shown live on Sky or ESPN are counted for facilities fees and the parachute payments come out of the first pile.

plpayments201011.jpg

Even taking into account the effect of CL money, there's not much more of a gap (if a gap even exists... I forget what the CL media rights payment in the UK is worth) between finishing 5th and winning the league than between staying up and being relegated.

It's not quite the NFL, where 99% of the TV money is equally distributed (clubs do retain the right to sell rights to their preseason friendlies: the big-market clubs get a lot more money from this than do the small-market clubs), but it's a far cry from La Liga.

I had the radio on in the car last night and they had Peter Reid in as a guest, and it got me thinking about how there is now an entire generation of people who have no idea just how great a player he was back in the day. It is hardly a coincidence that Everton had a period of dominance in the English game in the mid 1980s when he was at his absolute peak (he finished 4th in the Ballon d'Or in 85) and I do wonder how much he would be worth if he were around today. How many other pundits/managers were genuinely world class players too? Gary Lineker is probably the obvious example, I think he had a genuine claim at being the best out and out striker in the world at one point and a 25 year old Graeme Souness would probably walk into any side in the Premier League too. Any others?