• Downing
    • A Young
    • Delph
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Bent
    • Bradley (for Petrov 80)
    • Heskey (for Delph 90+1)

what a result, credit to everyone at villa, especially the players on the pitch and gmac.

on a side note, i think brum are doomed, they play tottenham who will be desperate to win to stay in europe and blackpool may get a draw at utd cos they have nothing to do

an ideal ending to a troublesome season

seen us play much better and lose this season but such is football

Brad MoTM and justified my player of the year vote for him

This exactly - it's all swings and roundabouts so not gonna feel guilty about non-penalty and no 2nd yellow for Petrov.

Bent superb for 15 minutes but Friedel was MOTM by a long shot for me...

Better luck next time Waaaaahsenal.

Referee was awful today.

Referee was spot on today

Yes, he was brilliant for Villa. But for referee standards he was absolutely awful. Got nearly every big decision wrong, and there is no way in this day and age we should be accepting such poor standards from referees.

A superb performance on a day where most, myself included, expected us to lose heavily.

Friedel had a superb game in goal and rolled back the years to claim crosses and block shots like a man possessed, whilst the fullbacks were also excellent - Walker a constant attacking threat and defensively sound; Luke Young again providing assurance at the back and looking every inch a left back once more.

The central defenders showed more of their positive attributes and less of those that frustrate us so often. It was a game that suited their style of last ditch blocks and headers as Arsenal tried to thread the ball through the proverbial needle's eye.

In midfield Petrov worked hard and controlled possession, Reo-Coker covered a marathon to close down the Gunners and support the attack and Delph had a quiet first half but showed signs of genuine promise in the second - strong in the tackle, skillful and with an eye for a pass. The wingers supported Bent well and did some sterling work defensively, constantly ensuring that Arsenal's attempts to double up on our fullbacks was fruitless.

And up front? Darren Bent again proving himself right up there with the best finishers in the Premier League, and if Sky's hype is to be believed and it's the best league in the world that must make him one of the world's best finishers. We're lucky to have him.

A great performance, good tactics and a big work ethic. If Houllier and his management team are kept on next season you'd think we'll likely have a better year than this one, especially if we can get results like this on a consistent basis.

I'm overjoyed with the performance and the result. MOTM is Bent for me. Two chances - two goals (although he did have a couple after that). Thought we were lucky with the referee but that makes a nice change.

Madness that was, absolute madness. West Ham on the other hand are seriously unlucky to get what happened to them.

Friedel- great saves, kept us in it a good few times: 8

Walker- Had his best game in a Villa shirt...still doubts as to his defending ability overall: 8

Dunne- Lucky he stayed on the pitch really: 6

Collins: Hoofed it and never kept the ball...and had shakey moments:6

L. Young: Had good periods and bad periods: 7

Petrov: Faded as usual and made sloppy challenges all over the pitch: 6

Reo-Coker: Put in a shift again and looked solid: 8

Delph: Young, inexperienced yet looked decent in the middle and had an average game: 7

Downing: Showed why he was player of the season and put in a shift: 8

Young: Apart from one shot seemed invisible but helped the back 4 out a bit when needed: 6

Bent: Got the vital goals and great finish for the first goal especially: 9

Subs:

Bradley: Not enough time to impress really but did ok when he was on: 5

Heskey: Not enough time at all: N/A

We needed a satisfaction, one of the few of the season.:)

Well done Villa, UTV.

But we must not deceive ourselves, it's too easy with the "ramshackle" Arsenal that we saw today, the impression is that their players were playing against their own manager.

On a hilarious note, with Richard Dunne in action it's quite sure that you can't keep a clean sheet. The way he marked van Persie is simply ridiculous.

Yeah Dunney walked that fine line between hero and villain today and the cards fell in his favour. He and Collins were under the pump the whole match and the law of averages says they'll sneak one through eventually.

Bent was a "top top player" today and certainly man of the match. An awesome team performance. Was expected the worse though when we concede, so nerve racking. Jubilation when the whistle went though. The midfield was impressive, Delph, Reo Coker and Petrov. Downing had a good game and Walker was fantastic. Oh and Friedel of course. Was quite impressed with Bradley's short cameo too.

We needed a satisfaction, one of the few of the season.:)

Well done Villa, UTV.

But we must not deceive ourselves, it's too easy with the "ramshackle" Arsenal that we saw today, the impression is that their players were playing against their own manager.

On a hilarious note, with Richard Dunne in action it's quite sure that you can't keep a clean sheet. The way he marked van Persie is simply ridiculous.

I think if you look again it was Collins that made the bigger **** up for that goal.

Yeah Dunney walked that fine line between hero and villain today and the cards fell in his favour. He and Collins were under the pump the whole match and the law of averages says they'll sneak one through eventually.
Tbf, I don't think the midfield did enough to help matters today, none of them could hold onto the ball for long enough to take the presure off.

Wondering how big the margin of victory for Bent in the MOTM stakes.

I was not expecting this result.

The man (otm) whose run timing, ball control and finishing instinct guaranteed us Premiership football next season? Wide margin I would hazard, except from Confused Pete and his chromosomal clones (see Phunnay Internet pics later for Confused Pete).

Really didn't expect that win but typical Villa. Beat a class team having broken our hearts losing to shite throughout the season whilst still making us shit ourselves when defending a lead and then putting our shitting selves through the mangle in the last seven minutes of play by conceding at the death!

Well, we kept 'em out and so what if they were robbed by the ref in the process. ****'em. We've had our share of muggings and robbery.

Great day all round. Spam down and the shit sucked into a last-day shoot-out. I'll have the prayer mat out next week. Surely Wigan or Blackpool can grab a point and Spuds will turn over the filth?

Blimey! Held a lead for 80 odd minutes, had the ref on our side and the results over the weekend worked in our favour/intrest. I feel a little faint.

Referee was absolutely terrible today, but I am not complaining. It's about time we had a few decision go our way.

Credit where it's due though. Bent took his chances absolutely brilliantly and held the ball up well on his own in a game where he was often isolated.

I gave MOTM to Walker because he's come under a lot of criticism for a few games recently, and he was brilliant today. Was close between him, Friedel and Bent though.

Â