Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Chindie

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is coming Nov. 8, 2011, Kotaku has learned, delivering with it mammoth battles that engulf a dozen cities around the world including New York, Paris and London.

Multiple sources have shared details of the game's story, art, sounds and game modes with Kotaku, noting that the game will reshape the landscape of the Call of Duty franchise, bringing an impressive number of eclectic settings, deep multiplayer gaming and a story that ties up nearly all loose ends from previous titles, including the final moments of key figures in the series' history.

While we haven't seen the game in action ourselves, we've gone to great lengths to nail down as much as possible the veracity of our sources. We believe that the imagery and chief details are accurate. That doesn't mean things can't change before release, but this appears to be a full run down of where Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software is on Modern Warfare 3 as they add the final polishing touches.

The game opens moments after the cliffhanger ending of Modern Warfare 2 with the U.S. struggling to stave off a surprise Russian attack. The single-player campaign will ping-pong players around the world as they take on the multiple throwaway roles as a Russian Federal Protective Services agent, SAS Operative, tank gunner, and AC-130 gunner as well as key characters from previous installments and new recurring characters. The game will feature about 15 missions, kicking off with the invasion of Manhattan by a Russian force and wrapping up with a final encounter in Dubai.

The plot, as described, seems to be keeping with developer Infinity Ward's habit of delivering complex, short sequences punctuated by lots of gunfire and scene changes. The game also has players take control of several vehicles, returning gamers to the AC-130 gunship as a gunner and plopping them down in a tank as part of a U.S. Armored Division.

The single-player campaign, which appears to wrap up most of the unanswered questions and character fates of the first two Modern Warfare titles, also introduces new characters who appear to be destined for future Modern Warfare games, especially two Delta Force operatives codenamed "Frost" and "Sandman".

Multiplayer in the game returns with a chunky list of playable maps as well as two types of Spec Ops modes: "Survival" and "Mission".

Activision, the series' publisher, still hasn't officially unveiled any details about the game, though executives have said that a new Call of Duty game was coming this year. Last year's Call of Duty: Black Ops, developed by Treyarch, sold more than 7 million copies in the first 24 hours and within six weeks reached $1 billion in sales.

We've contacted Activision for comment and will update the story when and if they provide reaction.

First details

SPOILERIFIC plot details

Packed with 15 levels set in locations around the world, from Manhattan to the catacombs of Paris, Modern Warfare 3's near-future campaign looks to be an experience that will top anything seen before in a Call of Duty game.

Multiplayer, too, seems to be shaping up to be an experience packed with new maps, experiences and ways to game.

Sources tell Kotaku that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will have as many as 20 multiplayer maps, though it's unclear if some will be cut before release or perhaps sold later as expansion packs. The game will also include a powerful mix of mission-based and survival Special Ops modes. While the mission-based levels will be designed like the ones made popular in Modern Warfare 2, we're told, the survival maps will have players fighting until they're overcome by increasingly difficult waves of enemies.

While we haven't seen the game in action ourselves, we believe that the imagery is accurate. That doesn't mean things can't change before release.

We've contacted Activision for comment and will update the story when and if they provide reaction.

Multiplayer Maps

Alpha

Alps

Bootleg

Bravo

Brooklyn

Carbon

Coast

Dome

Exchange

Hardhat

Interchange

Lambeth

Meteora

Mogadishu

Paris

Plaza 2

Radar

Seatown

Underground

Village

Spec Ops Modes

Survival

Carbon

Dome

Radar

Seatown

Village

Mission

Civilian Rescue

Flood the Market

Invisible Threat

Little Bro's

Out of Africa

No Fly Zone

Wing Man

Multiplayer details

First shots out there too on those links.

I can't reiterate enough that the second link there is spoiler mental, it's the entire plot pretty much. Which, having read it, sounds bad even on a scale where COD's previous plots are thought of as decent.

Not wishing my life away here but roll on November 8th. Can't wait. Modern Warfare (clues in the title) will always be my favourite titles by far.

The multiplayer map called Underground. London?

Modern Warfare (clues in the title) will always be my favourite titles by far.

yeah but youre forgetting that half the development team were fired or walked out last year

the cod series isnt going to do much apart from declining in the next few years

Indeed.

I've been expecting the series to take a further dive post the IW cull, but taking a look at this early stuff just makes that sense stronger. It looks absolutely phoned in, so to speak.

Been said a number of times, but it's only a matter of time till the CoD series goes the way of Guitar Hero. Activision think it won't because (to paraphrase) 'People like, and always have liked, and always will, FPS games'.

I'll end up getting it and spending a shit tonne of time on it regardless of what I say now.

I don't see it going away for at least a few more years. Alot of people said Black Ops would fail after MW2 and it smashed all sorts of records. I'll be amazed if MW3 doesn't become one of the top selling games of all time.

Been said a number of times, but it's only a matter of time till the CoD series goes the way of Guitar Hero. Activision think it won't because (to paraphrase) 'People like, and always have liked, and always will, FPS games'.

People always will though. I cant see FPS fatigue kicking in any time soon, just franchise fatigue. Something will come along and take the crown away from Call of Duty, just like Call of Duty took it from Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor took it from Quake.

Battlefield 3 is looking like it will be a huge deal, Bungie are making a new IP (for Activision, sadly) and Respawn Entertainment, the ex Infinity Ward guys, are doing something for EA. Competition will be a lot more fierce than it has been in recent years, but I think MW3 will probably win this round again just due to brand recognition.

The top tier games tend to shuffle when a new generation of consoles is launched. Nintendo will unveil theirs at E3, Microsoft probably wont be far behind (everybody is talking about an announcement at GDC in March 2012 and a public showing at E3 2012) so we might have a couple more years of Call of Duty winning, albeit by smaller majorities. MW3 will definitely sell 10m+ units though.

Call of Duty took it from Medal of Honor and they took it from Quake? What the **** - Quake is a completely different game altogether. About 90% of people play Call of Duty solely for Multiplayer and Zombies/Special Ops anyway. Also, the amount of people I know that have actually GONE BACK to the previous Call of Duty game (MW2) because they disliked Black Ops is surreal. What does that tell you? You're talking millions of players worldwide here. It's like World of Warcraft, they are STILL sat on their perch and not being budged. Rift is the latest game to have a go but I can't see WoW moving anytime soon. Regarding COD I just feel the same way...

Call of Duty took it from Medal of Honor and they took it from Quake? What the **** - Quake is a completely different game altogether.

Call of Duty is the #1 FPS franchise. It took the #1 crown from Medal of Honor, which took the #1 crown from Quake. Its quite a simple concept to understand, and there is no reason to get upset about it just because you enjoy Call of Duty.

Call of Duty and WoW are different beasts too. There are hardly any (if any?) serious rivals to WoW because a MMO is such a difficult and expensive game to make. There are more FPS titles than you can shake a stick at and some day soon somebody is going to make an awesome one. I'd be shocked if Call of Duty was the #1 franchise on the next generation of consoles.

People always will though. I cant see FPS fatigue kicking in any time soon, just franchise fatigue. Something will come along and take the crown away from Call of Duty, just like Call of Duty took it from Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor took it from Quake.

Battlefield 3 is looking like it will be a huge deal, Bungie are making a new IP (for Activision, sadly) and Respawn Entertainment, the ex Infinity Ward guys, are doing something for EA. Competition will be a lot more fierce than it has been in recent years, but I think MW3 will probably win this round again just due to brand recognition.

Well, exactly, FPS in the West have pretty much universally been the top tier franchises, although I would argue that the current saturation is a first and may help burn out quit how popular they are.

But my point is that Activision seem to suggest that just because COD is an FPS, it can't or won't burn out like Guitar Hero did. I think their argument would be more valid, as you suggest if it were from a point of view that 'FPS's won't completely burn out'. But it wasn't, imo. It was from a point of view that for a decent while yet, COD will be king and that is that. I disagree, the crown changes ahnds and I already think the series is on it's slope downwards to losing it and in time, disappearing. I see it becoming a less 'serious' franchise soon enough, being spun off in less than ideal directions and watered down as they chase the dollars.

they tied themselves to activision for ten years, that makes them mental, no matter what the contract has in it

unless theres a huge great bit in bold that lets bungie out of it when activision start acting the bollox with them, which they will

however with bobby kotick involved, i doubt that's there

Call of Duty took it from Medal of Honor and they took it from Quake? What the **** - Quake is a completely different game altogether.

Call of Duty is the #1 FPS franchise. It took the #1 crown from Medal of Honor, which took the #1 crown from Quake. Its quite a simple concept to understand, and there is no reason to get upset about it just because you enjoy Call of Duty.

Call of Duty and WoW are different beasts too. There are hardly any (if any?) serious rivals to WoW because a MMO is such a difficult and expensive game to make. There are more FPS titles than you can shake a stick at and some day soon somebody is going to make an awesome one. I'd be shocked if Call of Duty was the #1 franchise on the next generation of consoles.

Indeed - apologizes if I came over a little harsh there. What I mean is the whole multiplayer concept is probably the main reason the majority play Call of Duty. Now I may be wrong here but when MOH and Quake were at #1 was that due to their single player gameplay more than online?

I'm not taking anything away from the COD single player but it's an online frenzy.

plus based on the fact that there's going to be a subscription fee for access to all the online features in mw3, i can see people looking elsewhere in november. probably battlefield 3 which is likely to be a vastly superior game

The problem Battlefield 3 may have in taking the popular crown from COD is solely the issue of Battlefield's gameplay. I don't think it has the universal appeal of COD's comparatively more simple style.

Anywho,

are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXrEtBnJ8CQ.

On the back of those, second especially, I think that Kotaku entire plot spoiler might be bang on the money. Eurgh.

Indeed - apologizes if I came over a little harsh there. What I mean is the whole multiplayer concept is probably the main reason the majority play Call of Duty. Now I may be wrong here but when MOH and Quake were at #1 was that due to their single player gameplay more than online?

I'm not taking anything away from the COD single player but it's an online frenzy.

MoH was a single player thing, consoles didnt really do online properly until Xbox Live hit on the original Xbox and the first big online console shooter was Halo 2.

Quake was huge and that was all about the online. It was a PC game and the environment was completely different to how it is today. It's difficult to compare, but the point is that nothing lasts forever. I think the hardware refresh we are due in a couple of years will see the current top games replaced by new ones.

they tied themselves to activision for ten years, that makes them mental, no matter what the contract has in it

unless theres a huge great bit in bold that lets bungie out of it when activision start acting the bollox with them, which they will

however with bobby kotick involved, i doubt that's there

That's a massive assumption to make. When Bungie were negotiating with Activision they were is a massively strong bargaining position, you can safely assume that every major publisher would have been sniffing around Bungie and as a result Bungie could just read off a list of demands and see who matches them the best. Bungie certainly wont find themselves in the position they were under Microsoft where they were being asked to shit out a never ending stream of Halo games.

Bungie certainly wont find themselves in the position they were under Microsoft where they were being asked to shit out a never ending stream of Halo games.

i wouldnt be so sure of that to be honest mate, companies have found themselves **** over from better positions than bungie