• Walker
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Bent
    • Albrighton (for Heskey 46)

Off topic, but Luke Young just got on the train to London at B'ham International and is sitting at the table next to me. Wondering whether I should ask him anything (contract negotiations etc)

Ask him as much as you can. Get the gossip George!!

Got anything from him?

Off topic, but Luke Young just got on the train to London at B'ham International and is sitting at the table next to me. Wondering whether I should ask him anything (contract negotiations etc)

Eavesdropping at the moment (he's chatting to someone else in Villa gear who I don't recognise). He thought NRC should have been MOTM, sounds like Friedel is off at the end of the season (although he doesn't want to go) and Walker keeps asking for tips from LY about how to play it simple but look good at the same time. Nothing about Salifou yet....

Finally, credit to the small group of lads in the Lower Holte who managed to light the game up for the last fifteen minutes with some persistent noise, they even got us going in the Lower Ellis. More power to them.

This.

They were quality with that constant, persistent "A.V.F.C" chant.

Even the Upper Holte joined in with it a couple of times, but it got sped up and fizzled out...

Upper Holte need to work on their timing and rhythm lol.

I haven't read the thread yet but judging by the radio I get the feeling I'm in something of a minority.

I thought that was a decent performance marred by one individual error and some very poor refereeing - if Bent had put away his chance I think it would have been a deserved victory.

There were good and bad things in it for me and it was two games really, the one where we had the ball and the one where they had the ball.

In possession I thought we were good; dangerous, quick and comfortable changing the shape at half time after Emile's hissy threw us a bit, but we always looked the more likely scorers and I've come away slightly surprised that we haven't won it.

When they had the ball we were less impressive; there was an end of season feel to our efforts in closing them down at times and we allowed them far too much possession.

Individually, Walker needs to learn that he can't lose the ball in the positions he does, when he was defending he was good today, when he was attacking he was good today, the problem is that he's sometimes attacking when he should be defending.

Albrighton looked flat and could do with the summer I think, there's some zip missing from the legs, some whip missing from the crosses and some joy missing from the shoulders - hopefully he'll have all three back for next term - today he didn't add much and I'd have considered taking him off for Delfouneso with ten minutes left.

Young had a good game, a goal and what should have been an assist the highlights, but he was a real threat in the first half before he got moved inside.

Reo Coker was man of the match for me by a distance, he was the only one of our players who really threw himself into stopping Wigan having possession - he was good with the ball too.

Petrov has the wisest head in the team, but sadly the legs are disappearing from under him - this time next year he'll be Pires.

Downing was good, Luke Young solid, Dunne and Collins so-so, Friedel okay and Heskey reasonable until he went bonkers and almost did a Les Ferdinand.

The referee was atrocious after a good start and the linesman on the Trinity Side even worse - players will get tense, terse and tetchy when you let them kick each other for ninety minutes.

Finally, credit to the small group of lads in the Lower Holte who managed to light the game up for the last fifteen minutes with some persistent noise, they even got us going in the Lower Ellis. More power to them.

A good crowd, an end of season nothing game for us played against a team fighting for everything they've got, we were still comfortably the better side and should have won.

Meh.

I stopped reading at "decent performance"

you shouldn't have, he made a lot of sense

Eavesdropping at the moment (he's chatting to someone else in Villa gear who I don't recognise). He thought NRC should have been MOTM, sounds like Friedel is off at the end of the season (although he doesn't want to go) and Walker keeps asking for tips from LY about how to play it simple but look good at the same time. Nothing about Salifou yet....

Nice work mate.

Take a sneaky picture on your phone and we'll identify the other one :lol:

Just got back from the game. Dreadful dreadful stuff.

NRC Motm for me, marshalled well, won the ball well, passed it around well and got stuck in. Him and luke young were the only players who actually looked up for it today.

Downing - Sack him off, his movement, foresight and distribution is truly woeful 90% of the time, he lives off a couple of good moves a match which seems to keep the boo boys off his back but everytime ive seen him he has been poor. Major weak link.

Young - Petulant, stroppy and is already out of here in his mind i reckon. Such a frustrating player to watch and then pulls that free kick out of nowhere.

Dunne & JC - Cant believe how awful they were today, sunk to a new level of shittiness today. Both off in the summer hopefully.

Those are the main negatives for me today, everything else was just average and not worth commenting on. NRC and possibly like young were the only slightly positive points today and walker tried his best to get things going.

Also, i wish someone would tell G-mac that he is allowed to make substitutions, delph for petrov and fonz for downing with around 25 mins left to go would have worked wonders i think today.

Shame. Cant see us getting any more points this season now.

Feel deflated.

Having just read through this topic i am amazed that people are saying downing had a good match? Really???

I truly thought he was awful today, couldnt see the players making the runs past him, when he did his pass to them was poor, deliveries into the box were consistently crap and he didnt even know which side of the field he was supposed to be on for 10 minutes when he and albrighton swapped sides then he came wandering back over again, luke young had to tell him which way to run a few times aswell.

But its ok because he made one successful sliding tackle :D

Roll on the end of the season. I really need a break from the villa after the shite I've had to witness this season both home and away. Going to Arsenal next week and after Liverpool I'm washing my hands of the Villa for a month or so - unless we appoint Moyes..........................

I can dream... :D

wasnt a classic was it.. i thought downing did ok,nice to see his tackle (twice), nrc & petrov lacked vision & ideas from the middle,the defence looked ok,lacked faster pace football which leads to nothing.

Friedel - did okay but didn't have a lot to do. Al Habsi looked a very decent keeper and we could do worse than him as Brad's replacement!

Walker - decent game and strong but still has a lot to lear about defending and going forward. He could be very good in a season's time though if he can develop.

Young - steady game

Collins and Dunne - just don't have any confidence in them any more. They need replacing. The fact that Carlos is on the bench is a travesty.

Petrov - was crap today. I can't believe that there are two of you out there that could even think about voting him as MOTM!!

NRC - worked hard and had a good game. He doesn't have Charlie Adam's distribution but I can't see why he gets so much stick for his passing. As a DCM I can't see us getting any better??

Downing - Alongside NRC he was the pick of the bunch. Didn't look as effective though when Albie came on and he had to switch to the left side.

Young - Not great BUT really poor when he switched into the hole (apart from the one through ball for Bent).

Heskey - Poor but he will be unless he is the main striker. He cannot play with Bent!

Bent - worked hard and put in a lot of effort. Shame he couldn't finish it off with a goal but I thought Al Habsi did really well.

Albrighton - Looked very very very rusty.

Gary Mac - Utter tosh. Please leave.

Ref - Pathetic. Looked like a clear pen to me and their left back should have been booked for a shocking tackle on Bent shortly after. This was the worst of his refereeing but there was plenty of other crap.

Friedal - 6 virtually nothing to do.

Walker - 5 - one of his poorer performances. Has been playing with no fear but lacked confidence today. No impact going forward and caught out for the goal.

L Young - 6 - Satisfactory. Nzogbia strolled past him into the box at one point but apart from that sound.

Collins - 1- dire. He spends the whole of the warm up pracitsing shots, was still out shooting with the subs when the team were back in. In the game he has no discipline, he just wants to dive in all the time. Commits himself fully, which looks great when he gets the ball, but you can't play like that. His challenge for the goal totally exposed the whole challenge, when Wigan nearly scored from the corner in 1st half injury time again he defended like an idiot.

Dunne - 6 - apart from one back pass, he did ok. Think he has improved recently and he must be fed up of being exposed by the useless lump next to him.

Downing - 5 - His work rate was much better today, but not one decent cross in 90 min. He had two or three great chances to cross in the second half but instead cut on his weaker right foot. Some lovely passes at times but he needs to think about what has got him to where he is - delivering quality balls into the box.

A Young - 6 - Good first half, took people on, looked to link up with others, showing some of his sparkle. Then thanks to our tactical master on the bench he is put into the hole and struggles to get onto the ball, becomes frustrated and loses his effectiveness. Still managers to put Bent through though, and never hides from the ball like other players, even when things aren't going right he still is on the move looking for the ball.

Petrov - 5 - He didn't do anywhere near enough going forwards or backwards.

NRC - without ball - 8, with ball - 5 - Not his biggest fan, but his effort was great today, and his closing down was fantastic. Unfortunatly, he still shows his weaknesses far too often. At one point it almost seemed that Wigan's tactic was to leave him unmarked so that we would pass to him.

Heskey - 0 - stupid big lump. When a young impetues kid act likes that, you put it down to lack of experience and hope they learn the lesson. At his age he should be embarrased.

Bent - 6 - really worked hard today, tackled back, chased. Unfortunatly, when the team finally created the chance for him he didn't rise to the occassion.

Albrighton - 5 - No impact on the match, devoid of ideas and strength. Needs a good summer and come back ready to move onto the next stage of his development.

GMac - 0 - Calls back Bannan to give him game time and then puts Pires and Bradley on the bench, both who have no future at the club.

Calls back Delfounso and when our striker goes off injured puts on a winger instead and moves Young into an ineffective position.

Second half - obvioulsy content with our performacne, no subs, no sign of subs, no sign of instructions to the players. Obviousy playing for a draw, giving instructions to Walker and Dunne at different times to stay back at set pieces.

what happened with heskey?? i thought he was just being an unproffessional clearing in the woods trying to kick off, but my old man reckons emmerson boyce was fuming at 1 of caldwell/alcaraz, then young had a go at half time as well, which may suggest there was a racist comment??

if i am honest i missed any incident i just saw heskey fuming

should have been dragged off for delfouneso and kept it 442 immediately

NRC was by a country mile MOTM wasnt about his creative flair, u has always been a industrious midfielder, no1 used to moan about claude makelele. petrov hasnt got the legs anymore, central defence had a bit of a mare, 1 instance we went from attack to giving a corner in three simple moves,think dunnes days seem numbered would love to know why carlos not able to get in the squad. Downing had a good game also,would like to NRC and delph in centre midfield. The team looked a few rigid and no eagerness to get forward

I haven't read the thread yet but judging by the radio I get the feeling I'm in something of a minority.

I thought that was a decent performance marred by one individual error and some very poor refereeing - if Bent had put away his chance I think it would have been a deserved victory.

There were good and bad things in it for me and it was two games really, the one where we had the ball and the one where they had the ball.

In possession I thought we were good; dangerous, quick and comfortable changing the shape at half time after Emile's hissy threw us a bit, but we always looked the more likely scorers and I've come away slightly surprised that we haven't won it.

When they had the ball we were less impressive; there was an end of season feel to our efforts in closing them down at times and we allowed them far too much possession.

Individually, Walker needs to learn that he can't lose the ball in the positions he does, when he was defending he was good today, when he was attacking he was good today, the problem is that he's sometimes attacking when he should be defending.

Albrighton looked flat and could do with the summer I think, there's some zip missing from the legs, some whip missing from the crosses and some joy missing from the shoulders - hopefully he'll have all three back for next term - today he didn't add much and I'd have considered taking him off for Delfouneso with ten minutes left.

Young had a good game, a goal and what should have been an assist the highlights, but he was a real threat in the first half before he got moved inside.

Reo Coker was man of the match for me by a distance, he was the only one of our players who really threw himself into stopping Wigan having possession - he was good with the ball too.

Petrov has the wisest head in the team, but sadly the legs are disappearing from under him - this time next year he'll be Pires.

Downing was good, Luke Young solid, Dunne and Collins so-so, Friedel okay and Heskey reasonable until he went bonkers and almost did a Les Ferdinand.

The referee was atrocious after a good start and the linesman on the Trinity Side even worse - players will get tense, terse and tetchy when you let them kick each other for ninety minutes.

A good crowd, an end of season nothing game for us played against a team fighting for everything they've got, we were still comfortably the better side and should have won.

Meh.

I stopped reading at "decent performance"

you shouldn't have, he made a lot of sense

He made sense about Walker, Albrighton and Reo-Coker - those three points on the individual players I agree with. But the rest of it, in my opinion, is complete tosh.

How was it a good performance? It was insipid, lacklustre, lazy, casual and inherently sloppy.

How were we good in possession? We are so predictable it's untrue. All those attacking players on the pitch against one of the worst defences in the league - and what did we create? Apart from Bent's one-on-one, nothing. Albrighton, to Walker, to Nigel, to Petrov, to Downing.... repeat until fade.... It's **** woeful.

Also, OBE, how was it a nothing game for us? Please, please, please explain that to me. That attitude is exactly the reason why we were so awful today. It WAS a big game and had we have lost, which could have easily happened on the balance of play and chances created, then we would have been deep in the shit. Even now, although it seems unlikely, we are not mathematically safe. It's just completely beyond me that you can, like a lot of our players, be so lethargic towards today's game as if we are sitting pretty in mid-table. The facts tell a completely different story I'm afraid.

I thought that was a decent performance

we were still comfortably the better side.

im not sure which comment is more ridiculous

a point was the most we deserved - we could have nicked it at the end but it would have been totallyundeserved

Â