• Walker
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Heskey
    • Bent
    • Albrighton (for Heskey 46)

Just waiting for a train back home after the game. Absolutely terrible match - gutted Bent hit his 1 on 1 straight at the keeper, but seemed inevitable to be honest. Downing MOTM, Walker good going forward but still has A LOT to learn. Ash not great today. All pretty depressing and I cannot wait for this game to be over.

Missed the build up - why wasn't Gabby involved?

Headache :shock:

Just waiting for a train back home after the game. Absolutely terrible match - gutted Bent hit his 1 on 1 straight at the keeper, but seemed inevitable to be honest. Downing MOTM, Walker good going forward but still has A LOT to learn. Ash not great today. All pretty depressing and I cannot wait for this game to be over.

Missed the build up - why wasn't Gabby involved?

Headache :shock:

Headache! I bet he new we were going to be shite and just didn't want to be part of it

we wont get relegated i think the point took us just over the finish line. we need some whole sale changes and some new impetus and some passion and some noise and some fun. it seems to have all got a bit serious. downing is trying, alby just needs to relax and next season will be his! a lot of the old guard inc petrov can go, they wont be missed but will be remembered, afterall petrov did so well to battle back and become captain after an pretty dismal start to his villa career. it reminds me a litte of little's first season in charge where we scraped through and then big changes were made!

I haven't read the thread yet but judging by the radio I get the feeling I'm in something of a minority.

I thought that was a decent performance marred by one individual error and some very poor refereeing - if Bent had put away his chance I think it would have been a deserved victory.

There were good and bad things in it for me and it was two games really, the one where we had the ball and the one where they had the ball.

In possession I thought we were good; dangerous, quick and comfortable changing the shape at half time after Emile's hissy threw us a bit, but we always looked the more likely scorers and I've come away slightly surprised that we haven't won it.

When they had the ball we were less impressive; there was an end of season feel to our efforts in closing them down at times and we allowed them far too much possession.

Individually, Walker needs to learn that he can't lose the ball in the positions he does, when he was defending he was good today, when he was attacking he was good today, the problem is that he's sometimes attacking when he should be defending.

Albrighton looked flat and could do with the summer I think, there's some zip missing from the legs, some whip missing from the crosses and some joy missing from the shoulders - hopefully he'll have all three back for next term - today he didn't add much and I'd have considered taking him off for Delfouneso with ten minutes left.

Young had a good game, a goal and what should have been an assist the highlights, but he was a real threat in the first half before he got moved inside.

Reo Coker was man of the match for me by a distance, he was the only one of our players who really threw himself into stopping Wigan having possession - he was good with the ball too.

Petrov has the wisest head in the team, but sadly the legs are disappearing from under him - this time next year he'll be Pires.

Downing was good, Luke Young solid, Dunne and Collins so-so, Friedel okay and Heskey reasonable until he went bonkers and almost did a Les Ferdinand.

The referee was atrocious after a good start and the linesman on the Trinity Side even worse - players will get tense, terse and tetchy when you let them kick each other for ninety minutes.

Finally, credit to the small group of lads in the Lower Holte who managed to light the game up for the last fifteen minutes with some persistent noise, they even got us going in the Lower Ellis. More power to them.

A good crowd, an end of season nothing game for us played against a team fighting for everything they've got, we were still comfortably the better side and should have won.

Meh.

Had a decent spell in the first half then disappeared before half time, the game kinda sums up the season, lightweight at the back no imagination in midfield no passion no fight.

Best thing was the two middleaged/old guys squaring up in the 2nd half in the North lower.

Woeful game, the only good thing is we didn't loose. But not a lot positives to take into next season

Freidel - not much to do generally sound

Walker - goes ong these forward runs - but these aren't very productive and gets caught out of position alot.

L Young - again out of position at times but generally sound.

Collins - ok - would keep for next season

Dunne - poor today - slightly better 2ndhalf.

Petrov - generally sound - but no real influence on the game

NRC - Well he lacks class - but for his energy I give him MOTM

Downing - good - our only real threat

Young - good goal but poor otherwise

Albrighton - very poor to be honest. Those who think our kids can be the basis of a future villa time - look no further - a player who sparkled early on - barley put a foot right.

Bent -missed his one chance - quiet otherwise

In general no discipline, players arguing amongst themselves, and with the referee - no real pattern of play - players randomly swapping positions - plenty of work for a new boss (hopefully)

I thought we were wank. A lack of energy, passion, motivation, movement, decent crossing. This was Wigan we were playing, not Chelsea or Man United FFS! It was boring. We are pedestrian in midfield, slow to close down, happy to give the other team the ball. Good job Wigan are just as poor as us.

I hope that is the last we see of Heskey. He was rubbish. Clearly feigned injury if he can suddenly jump up and chase the referee ten yards to give him a mouthful. Friedel was at his busiest when he ran to the halfway line to calm him down. Petrov was slow, Walker needs to stop going to ground. Our centre backs did ok. Downing is the one bright spark for me from today's game. Young played a bit better but wasted a couple of good opportunities to put the ball in the box.

A very poor game and for us to be happy with a point is a disgrace.

Today and this season to me, more than any other factor (MON or GH), highlights for me what a massive loss Milner was for us.

Last season from CM we had goals and assists and attacking intent, NRC has taken Milner's place as of the last few months (not to mention the kids before) and none of them, not Petrov, can do so completely what Milner did for us - nor Makoun (obviously 5 million compared to 23 million there). For all the blame on Houllier and the comparisons to last season could anyone argue that CM is not an essential area that dictates the flow of the team and that, from that department last season, Milner was a massive influence? Biggest factor for me in a season of many mitigating factors. You can't replace what we lost so easily in the Jan window.

I like Petrov and NRC but they don't have the same influence or impact going forwards - and there doesn't seem to be much movement there either.

Hopefully we can get a better balance next season.

Rubbish game! OBE trust me mate it really would nit have been a deserved victory in the slightest I'm afraid

Agree with your player ratings OBE but how you can say it was a decent performance is beyond me. Yes the ref lost control, yes Heskey's hissy fit was pathetic, but Wigan out-played us. We let the pop the ball around in the second half with only NRC getting a foot in. No changes from G Mac said it all. It was as if he accepted that there was nothing else he could do. For me, Petrov should have gone off, with Delfouneso coming on o play with Bent.

One final thing, how many more times do our management need to play Ash in the hole to realise he's shite there!

Off topic, but Luke Young just got on the train to London at B'ham International and is sitting at the table next to me. Wondering whether I should ask him anything (contract negotiations etc)

Ask him as much as you can. Get the gossip George!!

I haven't read the thread yet but judging by the radio I get the feeling I'm in something of a minority.

I thought that was a decent performance marred by one individual error and some very poor refereeing - if Bent had put away his chance I think it would have been a deserved victory.

There were good and bad things in it for me and it was two games really, the one where we had the ball and the one where they had the ball.

In possession I thought we were good; dangerous, quick and comfortable changing the shape at half time after Emile's hissy threw us a bit, but we always looked the more likely scorers and I've come away slightly surprised that we haven't won it.

When they had the ball we were less impressive; there was an end of season feel to our efforts in closing them down at times and we allowed them far too much possession.

Individually, Walker needs to learn that he can't lose the ball in the positions he does, when he was defending he was good today, when he was attacking he was good today, the problem is that he's sometimes attacking when he should be defending.

Albrighton looked flat and could do with the summer I think, there's some zip missing from the legs, some whip missing from the crosses and some joy missing from the shoulders - hopefully he'll have all three back for next term - today he didn't add much and I'd have considered taking him off for Delfouneso with ten minutes left.

Young had a good game, a goal and what should have been an assist the highlights, but he was a real threat in the first half before he got moved inside.

Reo Coker was man of the match for me by a distance, he was the only one of our players who really threw himself into stopping Wigan having possession - he was good with the ball too.

Petrov has the wisest head in the team, but sadly the legs are disappearing from under him - this time next year he'll be Pires.

Downing was good, Luke Young solid, Dunne and Collins so-so, Friedel okay and Heskey reasonable until he went bonkers and almost did a Les Ferdinand.

The referee was atrocious after a good start and the linesman on the Trinity Side even worse - players will get tense, terse and tetchy when you let them kick each other for ninety minutes.

Finally, credit to the small group of lads in the Lower Holte who managed to light the game up for the last fifteen minutes with some persistent noise, they even got us going in the Lower Ellis. More power to them.

A good crowd, an end of season nothing game for us played against a team fighting for everything they've got, we were still comfortably the better side and should have won.

Meh.

I stopped reading at "decent performance"

very disappointing. at least we are safe but saying that says everything. im very tempted to get a season ticket next season, just hope we can dish up better than this shite.

Â