The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

i think there is a slight under current of people not wanting football to be successful there and therefore revelling in knocking it but at the same time i think there is a genuine debate to be had on the quality of the MLS and the USNT, the progression seems to have lost momentum, i'll throw this out there - in the latest squad to play england 14 of the players have never played in the MLS, including you could argue the best players pulisic, brooks, mckennie

strangely i also think the biggest stumbling block in its success is the various structures they impose on themselves, if it was ran like any other league in the world it would be a monster, if the merger with the mexican league happens and they scrap some of the transfer and squad registration policies it would become the biggest league outside of europe

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tommybread said:

Not you yourself, you make good posts and are clearly well informed on football in North America.

But some of the other posts such as the classic BWP argument are just the same old from clueless people who know diddly squat about the MLS. The form of one player who was a highly rated youngster at City and has admitted to not taking football serious in England and only changed his attitude after meeting Henry is consistently the stupidest argument to judge the quality of the MLS. 

Unfortunately, it's impossible to talk about North American football without the incessant need for people to spout off their uneducated opinions. And the bizarre desire to exclaim how it isn't a top level league despite no one ever claiming it is. Which is actually a bit ironic from fans of a club not in a top league. 

That is one of the best replies to a post i've ever had! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but nothing surprises me with the US "Soccer" federation

(Not really MLS related but the word is we're going to hire the Columbus coach for the national team. 

Edited by Villaphan04

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What has Lopetegui ever done as a manager?

He was quite good with Spain before the world cup. Spain when undefeated for 20 matches under him. 

The Madrid job was a bad pick up. Much like Moyes taking over after Fergie left. Madrid's squad is aging, and lost a once in a life time player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He was quite good with Spain before the world cup. Spain when undefeated for 20 matches under him. 

The Madrid job was a bad pick up. Much like Moyes taking over after Fergie left. Madrid's squad is aging, and lost a once in a life time player. 

2 seasons at Porto he won nothing though in a league they regularly dominated

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 seasons at Porto he won nothing though in a league they regularly dominated

That is also true. Seems he might be better as a national team manager. 

I still think USA would be insane to not at least talk with him if he was actually interested.

Edited by Czechlad

• 3 weeks later...

Kid is quality, when I did my A-license we had to evaluate some u-20 national team games. My instructor started the u-17 soccer residency at Bradenton and said he was the best American GK he’s ever seen. And if it’s one thing seppos can do is produce pretty solid GK’s!!!

that Spanish coach was not the only big name not interviewed as well. Great piece by grant wahl and the tie with berthalters brother.....

My Boy Enzo got released by the rapids, they didnt pick up his option, DC United offered him league minimum but he turned it down and is re-signing with Charlotte independence which is the league below MLS, he got a nice 4 year contract guaranteed money. So did whats best for his family. Cant blame him, but imagine if hed ended up playing with Rooney!

6 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

My Boy Enzo got released by the rapids, they didnt pick up his option, DC United offered him league minimum but he turned it down and is re-signing with Charlotte independence which is the league below MLS, he got a nice 4 year contract guaranteed money. So did whats best for his family. Cant blame him, but imagine if hed ended up playing with Rooney!

He better be careful. Jim McGuinness the new coach there made Gaelic Football dire to watch with his tactics and didnt encourage attacking style.

Its his first job in football and I fully expect him to do the same in this sport

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

He better be careful. Jim McGuinness the new coach there made Gaelic Football dire to watch with his tactics and didnt encourage attacking style.

Its his first job in football and I fully expect him to do the same in this sport

I thought he was supremely well liked and respected? at least thats what my irish mate told me!

2 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

I thought he was supremely well liked and respected? at least thats what my irish mate told me!

He must be from Donegal your mate ;)

He is an intelligent guy and think he might be a successful coach as was assistant to Roger Schmidt in China but his tactics in GAA was like catenaccio. Loads of men behind the ball and made the game dull. He is also meant to be a hard taskmaster

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He must be from Donegal your mate ;)

He is an intelligent guy and think he might be a successful coach as was assistant to Roger Schmidt in China but his tactics in GAA was like catenaccio. Loads of men behind the ball and made the game dull. He is also meant to be a hard taskmaster

hahaha, Wexford! interesting to know, i shall keep you in the loop as ive got two former players who will be playing for him.

1 minute ago, Dom_Wren said:

hahaha, Wexford! interesting to know, i shall keep you in the loop as ive got two former players who will be playing for him.

Cheers. I think he genuinely has potential and has worked Celtic and in China. He has a bit of a cult personality too so it could work for him

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sorry I'm off topic but he still won 3 Ulster championships and Ireland's top football competition playing that way. People just like to bash Ulster football when really football in the whole country has gone to the dogs. He won with a style that suited the team. Donegal are certainly no Dublin, would still rank below the likes of Tyrone and Kerry. He overachieved with that team. 

Zlatan to become the highest paid player in MLS history with his new contract.

after only earning £1m for his first season he will now get £7m and thus surpass Kaka who earned a bit less while at Orlando in 2014.

The designated player system is strange.

• 3 weeks later...
Â