The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

Nor me, I think a league that was a closed shop but with no transfer / wage restrictions (other than FFP) would make it a very attractive league, said before in here they need to scout the **** out of South America and start cherry picking the youth before Europe, this might give them the platform to do it

i think with the draft and wage structure thing it will always be what it is now, just with Mexican teams thrown in, they have to scrap it, if it's national team worry and youth team players then introduce caps like Russia (I think it's a maximum 5 non Russians on the pitch) or la liga and France (4 non EU players in the 25 man squad) Italy (can only purchase 2 players from outside the EU per season) 

the sensible thing after that would be an expansion of the libatadores too but no doubt that would be another stumbling block

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Depends if they take the MLS model and just add another conference or if they try and do a traditional league system

the biggest stumbling block in my mind would be the yank draft system and their wage structure, both would have to be scrapped because i dont see how the mexican clubs can adopt it, but at the same time that would be the abandoning one the thing that really holds the MLS back so in terms of their growth and development thats also a good idea

I would have to think they have to massively overhaul the system were this to go thru. MLS has 23 teams currently with a couple others waiting to join and adding the (I think) 16 Liga MX teams would leave around 40+ teams in just one division. 

1 hour ago, villakram said:

I suspect the Mexicans will have to be paid off an awful amount to agree to the power-"sharing" the MLS owners will require in any new structure.

Imagine if promotion and relegation was instituted and open the transfer market properly... would be brill, but I just can't see the MLS owners surrendering the closed shop/guaranteed profit model of MLS. 

I have to think that this would be a real possibility with the amount of teams that would be in this so called super league.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rooney is tearing up MLS. Looks a complete new player away from media hype of England 

I don't see what the hype has to do with it, he's playing at a significantly lower level. MLS is a joke. He may as well have gone and played in League 1.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't see what the hype has to do with it, he's playing at a significantly lower level. MLS is a joke. He may as well have gone and played in League 1.

Yeah, 37 y.o Zlatan Ibrahimovic with a bum knee playing at 50% has bagged 22 goals and 7 assists in 26 games.

League is a joke.

Especially defending in the air is shocking, every time the ball is floated into the box it's a goal.

That says it all really, Bradley Wright Phillips couldn't do it in the Championship, but looks like a legend over there.

Also, here's the MLs current top goalscorer:

image.png.dd53517658aa48d6491053f5c4665ce1.png

I don't think League 1 is an exaggeration really, it's a terrible league. These are the stats of the best players, imagine how shit the average ones are.

i would say rooney is as much as away from the superstar celebrity lifestyle of a mega rich footballer living in cheshire without a care in the world partying, smoking and drinking, i might be wrong here but i doubt he is living the same life over there, maybe calmed him down and matured him a little, bit more professionalism coming back in to his life

• 2 weeks later...

It's happened before, notable examples include Roberto Baggio in a match against Spain, Romario in a match against Guatemala (I think he scored in that one too) both games happening around 2004/2005. Rooney of course no where near the level of those two, but that said, he's England's record scorer. I think it's a bit of a storm in a tea cup, people want to say it 'cheapens' an England cap and makes a mockery of international football, however this pales into insignificance compared to what FIFA and UEFA have done to the international game. They've cheapened it by making it more 'inclusive' by increasing the number of sides in the World Cup and European Championship respectively,  and the Nations League just another example of this. 

I really do not see a massive issue with this, it's no different from your average international friendly game, where no one takes it seriously and very little is achieved. 

• Like 3

Well this was all a bit unfortunate :D

MLS PLAYOFFS: PORTLAND TIMBERS PLAYERS CELEBRATE PREMATURELY AFTER FORGETTING HOW AGGREGATE SCORELINES WORK

There were ever so slightly cringe-inducing scenes at the end of Thursday night’s MLS playoff clash between northwestern rivals Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers.

When the full-time whistle went at the end of extra-time, several Timbers players dropped to their knees, threw their hands to the sky and huddled in celebration after reaching the Western Conference final, or so they thought.

Unfortunately, what they’d actually done is lost 3-2 on the night, meaning that the score was level at 4-4 on aggregate and, as such, a penalty shootout was inbound.

How embarrassing. Images of Olivier Giroud and Francis Coquelin having to sheepishly ask fans to give their shirts back instantly spring to mind.

Timbers did eventually manage to spare their own blushes by emerging from the shootout victorious, but you have to wonder how none of the players, coaches or technical staff had a clue what the overall scoreline was.

Liam Ridgewell’s brave boys will now face Real Salt Lake or Sporting KC in the western final, who are set to resolve their two-legger on Sunday evening.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/279646/mls-portland-timbers-players-celebrate-prematurely-after-forgetting-how-aggregate-scorelines-work-photo-video.html

At least the won in the end.

That's Soccerball for you I guess.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

How’s that mate?

Not you yourself, you make good posts and are clearly well informed on football in North America.

But some of the other posts such as the classic BWP argument are just the same old from clueless people who know diddly squat about the MLS. The form of one player who was a highly rated youngster at City and has admitted to not taking football serious in England and only changed his attitude after meeting Henry is consistently the stupidest argument to judge the quality of the MLS. 

Unfortunately, it's impossible to talk about North American football without the incessant need for people to spout off their uneducated opinions. And the bizarre desire to exclaim how it isn't a top level league despite no one ever claiming it is. Which is actually a bit ironic from fans of a club not in a top league. 

• Like 1

Â