The MLS Thread

ClaretMahoney

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I've watched a couple games now, but can't really decide how good the league is. I like watching it though. ?

Its entertaining much more than some European top flights. Goalkeeping is poor usually

• Like 1

It's a weird mix of young american kids, average south american players not good enough for europe and a load of old european players in semi-retirement but it seems to work pretty well and most games are usually pretty good. Having people like Zlatan over there can only help the youngsters. It's still growing, Most teams now have their own purpose built stadiums rather than previously sharing them which helps as playing in front of a packed 20-30000 stadium is far better than the same amount of people in a 70000 NFL stadium. They'll get it right eventually and there will be lots of young kids now growing up watching & playing the game as their parents have been watching the local team for 10-20 years so family traditions & proper rivalries etc with some actual history are now starting to take hold.

The size of the country will always mean a general lack of away following (the average distance for away games over the course of a season in the western conference is usually over 1000 miles each way and there are some games where it is a 5000 mile+ round trip) which makes the crowd very one sided but it's only really in the uk & a couple of other places that teams have large numbers of people going to away games anyway.

Vancouver Vs Orlando is about 2700 miles each way & takes about 9 hours on a plane and it could well be midweek...

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

It's a weird mix of young american kids, average south american players not good enough for europe and a load of old european players in semi-retirement but it seems to work pretty well and most games are usually pretty good. Having people like Zlatan over there can only help the youngsters. It's still growing,

I hope not ;)

i still dont think they are scouting north america and south america well enough, they should be pillaging the CONCACAF especially, said before i think barco at atlanta could be a turning point for the league but then im sure i would have said somehting similar about giovinco and it hasnt really happend

if you look at other national teams around them and the players in the MLS - mexico 2, canada 11, costa rica 5, honduras 4, el salvador 0, guatemala 0, jamaica 0, t&t 0

in CONMEBOL there are 2 venezuelan, 1 ecuador and 1 peru internationals who play in the MLS

They are getting some decent South Americans in, the ones at Atlanta like Almiron, Romero and Jozef Martinez could all comfortably play in major europe leagues. Suppose no one will notice until high profile Brazilian and Argentine players turn up and not when they're 35 like Kaka was e.g. going to MLS at age a few of them have gone to China.

BTW did I misread or is Friedel managing an MLS club aswell now?

• 2 months later...

So Zlatan scored a hat trick in 24 minutes and Rooney got his nose broken (by another Swede)

All in all not a bad Sunday night in the MLS.

NTg5Ny5qJz1IA3ZJTV49MhBFYA5FEio6SUUiVkYWEScXUC0QVB06MQZGKwtqGWFhBlF7GwVJK2RRBHlJBy55ZV4Me0EMRmA-F1I=

Bildresultat för wayne rooney nose

Edited by sne

Ibra is destroying the MLS. It's quite fun to watch him dismantle MLS defenses. Too bad the Galaxy's defense is so terrible because they could be the best team in the league by a long shot. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the running back and tackle is impressive enough but that ball in is stunning

no keeper, sent him up for the attack so im assuming the win meant something?

Obviously with no relegation  DC had nothing to lose if they lost the point, they needed all the points they can get to keep a slim chance of making the play offs.
As for the run, it typified everything that made Rooney the player he was for a few years, brilliant desire...but if you are getting out ran by Rooney, time to retire.

Levante vs Espanyol or some such coming to an arena nearer to me... the game is gone!

I know they said Real/Barca might play over here but I hope they pull the whole NFL in London thing.

The mess that football is in over here with the MLS vs the US federation. How in the world are they allowing a competing league to play games on their territory... money, money, money, muppets.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting rumor, but would take it with a grain of salt. I think it would be near impossible for this to even occur and trying to figure out all the logistics would be a nightmare. It could be comparable to a possible Top Europe Club league.

Depends if they take the MLS model and just add another conference or if they try and do a traditional league system

the biggest stumbling block in my mind would be the yank draft system and their wage structure, both would have to be scrapped because i dont see how the mexican clubs can adopt it, but at the same time that would be the abandoning one the thing that really holds the MLS back so in terms of their growth and development thats also a good idea

• Like 2

I suspect the Mexicans will have to be paid off an awful amount to agree to the power-"sharing" the MLS owners will require in any new structure.

Imagine if promotion and relegation was instituted and open the transfer market properly... would be brill, but I just can't see the MLS owners surrendering the closed shop/guaranteed profit model of MLS. 

• Like 1

Â