Assassins Creed: Revelations

Shoody

Just announced as the new Assassins Creed game. 1/3 Ezio 1/3 Altair and 1/3 Desmond.

Terribly dissappointed that its not a new assassin after having 2 Ezio games already.

Altair, Ezio and err...ahem...Desmond?

:lol:

You'll understand if you've played it.

I never played the first one, so playing as Altair will be like a new character for me. Can't wait though, the last two games have been superb. Any idea of a provisional release date?

It'll be October/November time. Ubisoft are keen on Assassins Creed being an annual thing.

Not sure it's quite got the legs for that long term, but hey.

Yeah I've loved all the games so far, but I'd have rather they missed out Brotherhood and spent 2 years working on a new title.

No doubt this game will still be good, but I think they're making a mistake doing it annually.

First one looks great, has some good ideas but doesn't quite come together. It's very repetitive. Theres the basis for a good game in it though.

The second is that good game. A few new abilities, a sorted combat system, etc etc, lots of nods to history, better characterisation and so on. Starts slowly, builds to brilliance.

And the third is effectively the second but given a slightly tighter setting and bringing in a few more new features that, on paper, sound a bit naff (the main one is you are head of a guild of assassins, you can recruit throughout the game and send these guys round the world on tasks to earn you things, and also have some of them as a back up you can call in if things get hairy) but are curiously addictive - I had to max out my little posse of assassins for example.

The second and third are great games, well worth your time. The first is pretty but a pretty empty experience - I liked it, but I wouldn't call it a great game.

I was just really looking forward to a new era, new location and new assassin, 4th game with these three characters and its a bit of a let down. I only bought Assassin's 2 just before Brotherhood came out so i was up to speed, so its been too quick for me.

Its not a game like Fifa or Cod [which i couldnt buy this year because i got so bored!] that I could buy every single year. They should take a leaf out of rockstars books and make it a MASSIVE release every few years but i'd settle for every 2 years.

I quite liked Assassins 1 but was very repetetive.

2 was amazing a very good game.

Brotherhood came round a bit too quick for me as i'd only just bought #2 and it felt like i was playing an expansion pack - but the ending of the story made it worth it for the cliffhanger alone. Liked the guild sections aswell.

I bought (and finished) Brotherhood over the Easter break, terrific game. I thought Ubisoft said they were definitely going to be introducing a new character, they just weren't sure of the time period to put them in for Revelations? I'm not too fussed though, although I couldn't get into the first game I absolutely loved the second and third.

I've gone back to Brotherhood today and I think it's reaffirmed my suspicion that this series doesn't have the legs for an annual evolution of it without something significantly changing.

I downloaded and started playing the Da Vinci DLC, and all that went through my mind throughout it so far is that it's a little tired and a little dull and, at times, a little hokey. The movement issues have been present since day 1 and they have never really been resolved - I was failing some missions not through my own fault, but because it's never quite clear what direction you might go in, especially when jumping which has a kind of semi-automation to it. When it works, great, when it doesn't, it's intensely frustrating and of course it is revealed most heavily when you need to do things fast - the convoluted chase sequences (the 'And this guy is gonna run down there but he's going to close a door so you have to find some other way', that sometimes is rather unclear and other times as utterly pointless as run into sideroom, run back out onto same path also needs to be refined or given a makeover, it's a tired idea after 2 games let alone 3) require you to be immediately aware of where you're going and what you need to do to get there instantly, which isn't always the case and then the flaws of the movement mechanic mean you make a mistake which leads to a retry inevitably.

And it does all feel a little tired now to me.

For the sake of the series I think Ubisoft, barring them innovating wildly with this release, could be making a mistep with another entry in Ezio's story. I'm not even sure a new enviroment massively helps, the game itself needs a rethink to keep it fresh. I'm not sure Assassin's Creed 2:3 does that.

I don't mind more Ezio. Dude's a bad-ass. I spent 10 minutes yesterday pulling my white dressing gown over my head, attaching belts, strapping on some shoulder & knee pads and sliding the end of a wooden spoon up my paintball gloves, then proceeded to hide in various parts of the flat and jump out at my missus (the best of which was hiding behind the shower curtain when she went to use the toilet).

Ezio isn't the point (I don't really think the character matters all that much in this series to be fair). It's the game itself, I think it's wearing a bit thin, and another game, unless it's markedly different in some manner to keep it fresh, isn't going to help matters.

I'm inclined to agree. My biggest gripe is the racing missions. Had to replay "Young at Heart" about 30 times to get the 100% sync and by the third attempt I already wanted to smash my controller. Elements of the game certainly do not lend themselves to repetition (although recruiting/levelling up the Assassin's Guild was strangely compelling). The story is great though, I love the concept of the animus as a framing device for the game proper.

The story is great though, I love the concept of the animus as a framing device for the game proper.
I don't really like or care for the animus, although it works pretty well (more so in Brotherhood than AC2) and there seems to be a genuine drama to missions outside the animus, the whole thing seems unnecessary to me. The game doesn't need some Matrix rip off to allow them to use different characters although I do like it, I think it could have been done better excluding the animus entirely. Sort of like the Prince of Persia series.

I'm inclined to agree. My biggest gripe is the racing missions. Had to replay "Young at Heart" about 30 times to get the 100% sync and by the third attempt I already wanted to smash my controller. Elements of the game certainly do not lend themselves to repetition (although recruiting/levelling up the Assassin's Guild was strangely compelling). The story is great though, I love the concept of the animus as a framing device for the game proper.

Quite agree. I love the second and third games, the look and feel of them are second to none, and mostly the missions and combat are great, but the racing missions are absolute **** toilet. Not remotely enjoyable, and as Chindie said success or failure is mostly down to the vagaries of the control system.

Â