Scientific Experiment V3#06-G.Houllier Approval Ratings

Gringo

Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager manager this past 28 days?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Does Gérard Houllier meet with your approval as manager manager this past 28 days?

• Oui
    • Non

Well the issue of his resignation is secondary. He was not well enough to take charge of two games, it may have cost us points - it's harsh but how can that not possibly be a negative?
It's a negative but it's not his fault. It's nobodies fault.

I'm shocked at all the non's 2 wins and a draw under Houllier this month and people still say no...Hmm I'm sure you must be voting on the whole season not on this month.

I voted no. And I voted no based on this month alone.

To suggest Houllier's remit only extends from the touchline from kick off to full-time is remarkably short-sighted.

Yes, he's ill. We all wish him well etc. But the facts of the matter are he appointed the backroom staff who aren't performing and therefore that effects the games whilst he's absent. There have been no sweeping changes to suggest that this is GM's Villa now - it's still Houllier calling all the shots basically, just in a diminished sense. Training will be the same, formations will be the same and he still has to take responsibility even when absent.

Put it this way; if I go off sick as some more evidence of my poor management comes to light do I escape all criticism because the 'cover' was in that day?! It's still my work fundamentally and everything that has happened in April, regardless of him being ill, is his responsibility.

If people can blame MON six months into the season how can you not blame Houllier two weeks after he goes off ill? And the last few games are still, ultimately, Houllier's responsibility - either through long term management failures or simply because he employed GM.

Well put.

Well the issue of his resignation is secondary. He was not well enough to take charge of two games, it may have cost us points - it's harsh but how can that not possibly be a negative?
It's a negative but it's not his fault. It's nobodies fault.
It's not his fault and I wish him well, but none the less, he gets marked down by me.

He'd only meet with my approval if he left the club
Hypothetical question - if he stayed on and we finished 6th next season and won the FA Cup (I know this isn't very likely) would he meet with your approval then?

Hypothetical question - if he stayed on and we finished 6th next season and won the FA Cup (I know this isn't very likely) would he meet with your approval then?

What really makes you think GH will turn us from a shambolic mess to a top 8 team next season? Forget the trophy. Forget top 6. I'm actually suggesting that even top 8 would still be very difficult for him next season due to a numerous things such as his health, his alien antics with fans, the fact only one of his players (I don't count loans) have worked at the moment with a huge fee of 24m, his already demonstrated he'll throw away a cup by playing a weak team against a serious strong team away which he said he'll do it again, bad results due to bad decisions, appointing an extremely poor number 2 and may stick with next season etc.

Let's take a look at some other clubs.

Liverpool have something to get excited about. A manager who they're strongly connected to already has already turned them from a mess into a solid top 6 team again and that's without their star players that they had to rely on under Rafa.

West Brom have something to get excited about. Hodgson has got West Brom out of a relegation battle extremely by taking them from a yo-yo team to a solid top 8 team. That's bloody amazing when his had the least time out of all the managers to relate to the players and having to play against hard opponents with a weaker squad than our manager GH who's had since September with 30m to spend.

These are managers who have connected at the right club and can get the right results. That's the kind of manager who we should be aiming for, not sticking by someone who hasn't even begun to walk yet.

West Brom have something to get excited about. Hodgson has got West Brom out of a relegation battle extremely by taking them from a yo-yo team to a solid top 8 team. That's bloody amazing when his had the least time out of all the managers to relate to the players and having to play against hard opponents with a weaker squad than our manager GH who's had since September with 30m to spend.

Eh, since when have West Brom been a solid top 8 team, they are 11th...

What really makes you think GH will turn us from a shambolic mess to a top 8 team next season? Forget the trophy. Forget top 6. I'm actually suggesting that even top 8 would still be very difficult for him next season due to a numerous things such as his health, his alien antics with fans, the fact only one of his players (I don't count loans) have worked at the moment with a huge fee of 24m, his already demonstrated he'll throw away a cup by playing a weak team against a serious strong team away which he said he'll do it again, bad results due to bad decisions, appointing an extremely poor number 2 and may stick with next season etc.

Liverpool have something to get excited about. A manager who they're strongly connected to already has already turned them from a mess into a solid top 6 team again and that's without their star players that they had to rely on under Rafa.

These are managers who have connected at the right club and can get the right results. That's the kind of manager who we should be aiming for, not sticking by someone who hasn't even begun to walk yet.

I think you need to read my post again.

I find it absolutely bemusing that I can explicitly say "I don't think this is likely" and then have you come out with "what makes you think GH will turn us into a top 8 team?".

If you're looking for an argument over GH you're not gonna get one.

I'm shocked at all the non's 2 wins and a draw under Houllier this month and people still say no...Hmm I'm sure you must be voting on the whole season not on this month.

I voted no. And I voted no based on this month alone.

To suggest Houllier's remit only extends from the touchline from kick off to full-time is remarkably short-sighted.

Yes, he's ill. We all wish him well etc. But the facts of the matter are he appointed the backroom staff who aren't performing and therefore that effects the games whilst he's absent. There have been no sweeping changes to suggest that this is GM's Villa now - it's still Houllier calling all the shots basically, just in a diminished sense. Training will be the same, formations will be the same and he still has to take responsibility even when absent.

Put it this way; if I go off sick as some more evidence of my poor management comes to light do I escape all criticism because the 'cover' was in that day?! It's still my work fundamentally and everything that has happened in April, regardless of him being ill, is his responsibility.

If people can blame MON six months into the season how can you not blame Houllier two weeks after he goes off ill? And the last few games are still, ultimately, Houllier's responsibility - either through long term management failures or simply because he employed GM.

Cracking post my friend. A few others need to take note.

I think you need to read my post again.

I find it absolutely bemusing that I can explicitly say "I don't think this is likely" and then have you come out with "what makes you think GH will turn us into a top 8 team?".

If you're looking for an argument over GH you're not gonna get one.

Erm, I did read, especially the part where you said unlikely, that's why I gave you a fair realistic approach by saying if GH could finish top 8 without no trophies and went onto give my opinion on why he still couldn't hack it. If you're not willing to argue that, then that says all I need to know.

And PrideofBrum, you seem to bang on about form alot. If West Brom's form keeps up, they'll finish top 8.

Based on this month, with Houllier as manager - yes. We we're starting to look good. Then his heart problem.... In came McAllister.... Who gets a resounding "no"

As this is with Houllier as manager... Yes for this month.

If someone wins all their games in charge - good month.

If someone doesn't win any games in charge - bad month.

Well if that is the criteria then all we need do is look at the results and there is no point in this thread is there? In which case I may as well lock it now or by your definition we will just have everyone voting yes because Houllier won the two games he was in charge of.

Lets just ignore everything else, ignore his decisions within those games and ignore the performances within them.

As I say if the question is purely down to results this thread and any future threads like it are absolutely pointless.

Tbf, nothing of this was said during the last poll when there were a few that voted "yes". I voted "no" in that poll as I like many others couldn't see anything positive in it. But those who voted yes were questioned very much and we never saw any comments about locking the thread or that it was subjective or that results wasn't everything, etc. So, why can't a "no"-vote be questioned in this one?

I think his health scare has probably brought him some more goodwill, but the fact remains that this season under his management has been an utter disaster and he should be replaced as soon as the season is over.

If someone wins all their games in charge - good month.

If someone doesn't win any games in charge - bad month.

Well if that is the criteria then all we need do is look at the results and there is no point in this thread is there? In which case I may as well lock it now or by your definition we will just have everyone voting yes because Houllier won the two games he was in charge of.

Lets just ignore everything else, ignore his decisions within those games and ignore the performances within them.

As I say if the question is purely down to results this thread and any future threads like it are absolutely pointless.

Tbf, nothing of this was said during the last poll when there were a few that voted "yes". I voted "no" in that poll as I like many others couldn't see anything positive in it. But those who voted yes were questioned very much and we never saw any comments about locking the thread or that it was subjective or that results wasn't everything, etc. So, why can't a "no"-vote be questioned in this one?

Sure a vote can be questioned but people can't dictate the criteria by which others vote and I would have said the same last month in any thread such as this.

I think his health scare has probably brought him some more goodwill, but the fact remains that this season under his management has been an utter disaster and he should be replaced as soon as the season is over.
Completely agree, Risso. Let him live happily and healthily away from the pressures of management and away from the Villa.

Sure a vote can be questioned but people can't dictate the criteria by which others vote and I would have said the same last month in any thread such as this.
If you did I missed it and I appologise. The main concern for me was that there were loads of comment like this in the opposite direction as we'd lost and I couldn't see any response like this one then. But I sure as hell could've missed them. And I didn't mean to suggest that you don't allow people to have different opinions.

And I agree with Risso and Blandy about his future, although probably with a little different view on it.

Â