The Wire vs The Sopranos - Which is better?

paddy

Which is Better?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which is Better?

• The Sopranos
    • The Wire

Tony's heavy breathing annoyed me in Sopranos...and the amount of time with the Shrink was a bit boring.

Also what happened to her, with no retribution, really annoyed me.

That was odd admittedly Rob. The anticipation was unbearable waiting for 'T' castrate him or something, then... nothing. I was still convinced that story would get some closure right up until the final episode.

Incidentally, loved the ending :thumb:

How slow is the start of The Wire? I watched the first two episodes and in all honesty it didn't get me at all. In saying that I watched the first episode of The Sopranos, stopped halfway through and went on about my own business for about 6 months before watching a number of episodes..

How slow is the start of The Wire? I watched the first two episodes and in all honesty it didn't get me at all. In saying that I watched the first episode of The Sopranos, stopped halfway through and went on about my own business for about 6 months before watching a number of episodes..

It took a while to hook me, I can see how it doesn't hook some people, it does start pretty slow. I think it has to because it has intertwining narratives and quite complex story lines.

I think the reason for Dr Melfi refusing to seek retribution, via Tony's crew, was that she wanted to remain on the moral high ground, and not get sucked into that seedy Italian underworld, that deep down she despised.

As for the ending, well it was foreshadowed very early on and then reiterated later by Bobby Bacala on the fishing boat. The whole "You never see it coming " thing and "Everything goes black" .

This is also touched upon in the scene where Silvio is sat at the restaraunt table . (The gunshot induced deafness and being covered in blood before he even realised that the guy opposite had been whacked.)

If you rewatch the ending and pay attention to how Chase uses POV shots it's pretty clear what happens and for me is a stroke of genius. It probably isn't the ending the fans wanted, but for me, that was the point.

I think the reason for Dr Melfi refusing to seek retribution, via Tony's crew was that she wanted to remain on the moral high ground, and not get sucked into that seedy Italian underworld, that deep down she despised.

As for the ending, well it was foreshadowed very early on and then reiterated later by Bobby Bacala on the fishing boat. The whole "You never see it coming " thing and "everything goes black" .

This is also touched upon in the scene where Silvio is sat at the restaraunt table . The gunshot induced deafness and being covered in blood before he even realised that the guy opposite had been whacked.

If you rewatch the ending and pay attention to how Chase uses POV shots it's pretty clear what happens and for me is a stroke of genius. It probably isn't the ending the fans wanted but for me that was the point.

Another line people tend to forget, which I believe is crucial to the story, and what happened "after" the final scene is when Tony says "There's only two ways a guy like me ends up - in jail, or dead".

The idea he got off with the charges and continued his life like he previously had is nonsense.

I think the reason for Dr Melfi refusing to seek retribution, via Tony's crew was that she wanted to remain on the moral high ground, and not get sucked into that seedy Italian underworld, that deep down she despised.

As for the ending, well it was foreshadowed very early on and then reiterated later by Bobby Bacala on the fishing boat. The whole "You never see it coming " thing and "everything goes black" .

This is also touched upon in the scene where Silvio is sat at the restaraunt table . The gunshot induced deafness and being covered in blood before he even realised that the guy opposite had been whacked.

If you rewatch the ending and pay attention to how Chase uses POV shots it's pretty clear what happens and for me is a stroke of genius. It probably isn't the ending the fans wanted but for me that was the point.

Another line people tend to forget, which I believe is crucial to the story, and what happened "after" the final scene is when Tony says "There's only two ways a guy like me ends up - in jail, or dead".

The idea he got off with the charges and continued his life like he previously had is nonsense.

I agree, he got "whacked" in front of his family by the Members Only Jacket guy. Chase himself has said that everything you need to know is in the show and that there are no red herrings.

Yep, I believe that myself The inclusion of "Don't Stop Believing" was put in for a reason. Some poor fans still think he is alive because of that specific song being chosen as the last song played. As you say all the proof is hinted at quite strongly.

Sopranos was good fun, but The Wire is on a much higher level. In 20 years time, the Sopranos will seem dated and comical, but The Wire will age well, still be relevant, and remain a towering achievement in television history.

I agree, he got "whacked" in front of his family by the Members Only Jacket guy. Chase himself has said that everything you need to know is in the show and that there are no red herrings.

eh? There is no definitive answer, it's open to interpretation for a reason.

eh? There is no definitive answer, it's open to interpretation for a reason.

It really isn't , the clues are all there. As mentioned David Chase specifically said there are no red herrings and everything you need to know is in the show. Look closely at how important the POV shots are used in the final scene, note the importance of how the camera pays more attention to the MOJ guy than anyone else . Note the position of Tonys seat to the bathroom and the fact that if Meadow had been able to park first time then she would have been able to see Tony's murderer and give warning. At first it seems unimportant but her crap parking skills are very pertinent .

Explained in much more detail here

The Wire is about a lot more than the "cops and robbers" story element. It's a cold, hard look at America's failings in urban areas, the destruction of the "american dream", and what is essentially the abandonment of large groups of people by the "system".

It's probably most honest fictional portrayal of modern America ever created. It's "The Jungle" for the 21st century, and it is brutal. Simon has done a number of interviews and articles about the show, but this one stands out: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04172009/watch.html

Â