dudevillaisnice

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Koeman wasn't particularly good at Benfica, was a disaster at Valencia and had a disasterous start to his second season at AZ, so has this in his locker. I never thought he was as good as people were making out.

His record is pretty good overall tbh. I’d happily have him at Villa. 

6 hours ago, omariqy said:

Really not sure why they didn't break the bank for Benteke. He would've been perfect for them. 

We are thinking of the Benteke that played for us. He hasn't scored a goal this season.  If he cant do it for Palace why would he do it at Everton

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

I have no idea why they spent so much on Sigurdsson but then haven't set up around him.  They need to do that IMO - he's a quality player and a top signing but they're just letting him... drift out of games.  Completely bizarre.

Big problem I think with that is Rooney drifts off the front man and occupies the space Glyfi wants to be in...look at where Rooney picked up the ball and scored from yesterday. That was the space where Sigurdsson was in last year for Swansea.

Interesting who they get in as manager next. Short term fix just to keep them up or a long term appointment. It would have to be someone awful to actually relegate them whoever it is.

4 hours ago, villakram said:

Dyche would be a fool to go there. The very definition of a dead end job. He should be aiming for a shot at a CL club, doesn't have to be in blighty either, if he continues at his current trajectory with Burnley.

Everton are hardly some hopeless club. They've finished in top 7 in recent times (just last year) and first season under Martinez and let's not forget Moshiri is now calling the shots and he's invested far more in 18 months than Bill Kenwright did in 10 years.

This year is a write off but I think this is a good job for a Dyche or Eddie Howe to take on, neither are going to get a look in at any of the top 6 so Everton imo remains the best bet. Regularly qualify them for europe and try to win them a cup and that will get them in contention for top jobs.

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We are thinking of the Benteke that played for us. He hasn't scored a goal this season.  If he cant do it for Palace why would he do it at Everton

Actually I was thinking of the Benteke that scored 15 in 36 league games last season in a side far worse than Everton’s team this season. He would have been a very logical target in the summer and fitting replacement for Lukaku.

Palace have been horrible this season, I don’t for one minute think Benteke has declined since last season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Everton are hardly some hopeless club. They've finished in top 7 in recent times (just last year) and first season under Martinez and let's not forget Moshiri is now calling the shots and he's invested far more in 18 months than Bill Kenwright did in 10 years.

This year is a write off but I think this is a good job for a Dyche or Eddie Howe to take on, neither are going to get a look in at any of the top 6 so Everton imo remains the best bet. Regularly qualify them for europe and try to win them a cup and that will get them in contention for top jobs.

I don't mean that they are a hopeless club, but I see a pretty firm ceiling in front of them now. Howe and Dyche have both demonstrated burgeoning excellence and should be given a shot. It's not like picking experience is doing some magic job.

Italy/Germany/France/Holland and even Spain all appoint young managers on an upward curve to the top jobs, but not the precious premier league. Fools.

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Carragher laughed off the giggs link. He wouldn't last two minutes at Everton. 

Carragher is one of those people that thinks he's more intelligent than he actually is

All Giggs would have to do to last more than two minutes at Everton is show his dislike for Liverpool

Giggs would be shit though

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They should go for Benitez. That would be interesting 

It'd be hilarious, now he genuinely wouldn't last two minutes.

Benitez is totally overrated as a manager anyway but he'd constantly be paying his respects to Liverpool, he couldn't help himself

They don't call Everton fans bitter for no reason. I've known plenty of them support Man Utd when they are playing Liverpool.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Carragher is one of those people that thinks he's more intelligent than he actually is

All Giggs would have to do to last more than two minutes at Everton is show his dislike for Liverpool

Giggs would be shit though

It'd be hilarious, now he genuinely wouldn't last two minutes.

Benitez is totally overrated as a manager anyway but he'd constantly be paying his respects to Liverpool, he couldn't help himself

They don't call Everton fans bitter for no reason. I've known plenty of them support Man Utd when they are playing Liverpool.

I agree that Benitez would shoot himself in the foot at Everton regarding Liverpool, but I don't think he's overrated at all. Very good manager.

Only Niasse looks like he might score regular goals, which makes them a fairly unattractive proposition. Rooney could score more but won't be told or coached, and nobody else looks like reaching five for the season. Ironically, they'd probably be better off with a Pulis/Big Sam type (not them, but of that mould) until January, when they can panic-buy the striker they need. However, you can't appoint a manager for just a couple of months. 

The arrogance of former top players annoys me, just because they played at the elite level doesn’t mean they are entitled to manage there.

They should be filling to start where they are given an opportunity to learn. It would be in their own interests if they want to succeed as a manager, when they only want top jobs it makes me think it’s more about ego, money and their inability to let go of the dressing room.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The arrogance of former top players annoys me, just because they played at the elite level doesn’t mean they are entitled to manage there.

They should be filling to start where they are given an opportunity to learn. It would be in their own interests if they want to succeed as a manager, when they only want top jobs it makes me think it’s more about ego, money and their inability to let go of the dressing room.

From personal experience of dealing with them you are spot on. Jobs are given and expected based on what kind of personality they are in the dressing room and who their pals are. Rather than on their ability as managers/coaches. It's all about character rater than ability or a mix of both.

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

From personal experience of dealing with them you are spot on. Jobs are given and expected based on what kind of personality they are in the dressing room and who their pals are. Rather than on their ability as managers/coaches. It's all about character rater than ability or a mix of both.

I’m not surprised.

No ex player should be given a job in the PL as their first managerial position. None. To do so is reckless ownership, it’s mind blowing that it happens.

In what other business would that happen? And let’s not kid ourselves that PL clubs aren’t first and foremost businesses.

Its madness.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not surprised.

No ex player should be given a job in the PL as their first managerial position. None. To do so is reckless ownership, it’s mind blowing that it happens.

In what other business would that happen? And let’s not kid ourselves that PL clubs aren’t first and foremost businesses.

Its madness.

Just out of interest, how often does it happen, these days? Are there many examples of it in the last five years? 

Â