dudevillaisnice

I think the last Everton thread was closed because it got a bit.... heated...

But as we have a few Everton fans on here, and, at the risk of writing off Hull, they are realistically our main challengers to 5th spot in the league, I thought it might be time to discuss them again.

Considering their terrible start to the season, and the fact they are not playing particularly good football, they have had a series of good results and are now breathing right down our necks, after just picking up a point against Boro (not the best result for them I'm sure they feel as they were the home team.. but it's a point more than we managed...)

They have a decent keeper and a settled back four, with a decent midfield and 2 strikers who, if they can keep fit, are capable of scoring goals. Fallaini (sp?), although was an obvious panic buy is turning out to be a pretty decent signing for them aswell.

I'm glad our first game against them is away though.. their home form is certainly not as good as their away.. This could well become one of the most important games of our season.

If Citeh turn on the cheats for FM so to speak and spend big in Jan, they could well be our main challengers. Just can't see it from Everton this year, unless they squeak out the 1-0's like they did in their run for 4th a few season's ago.

unless they squeak out the 1-0's like they did in their run for 4th a few season's ago.

That's what worries me - that's exactly what they are doing.

They are playing some of the dullest football in the league. But they are getting the results and after looking like their could be out of the race for 5th with their disastrous start, they've got themselves back on track with some really good results.

You know what you get with Everton. Organised, functional, with the odd flashes of brilliance from Arteta.

They'll be there or thereabouts.

It's probably better for them if they do stay under the radar.

Pundits have us pretty much nailed on for 5th and a good shout for 4th, but that just means we are there to be shot at.

Plus, as good as we can be in beating the likes of the Arse, we are more than capable of losing to absolute dross like Newcastle and Boro.

Injuries to key players and transfers in Jan will probably be the decisive factor between us and the Toffees as to who finishes higher.

I think they're lacking something, they certainly are not playing to their potential. Cahill and Arteta havnt really hit form. Their stikers are lethal, Yakubu and Saha are both born goalscorers. Either of them can have a shit 90 minutes, and then score.

I think they'll run us close, but I think we're capable of beating them to 5th.

We are crap at the moment, crap. Our football lately has been absymal, yet were are picking up points, where at the start of the season playing good football we weren't. I'd rather we got results. Fellaini weren't a panic buy either, we had him watched for 2 years, and had bid twice for him earlier in the summer.

Hopefully the football will come with confidence but we have 2 tough games against Wigan and Spurs before a clash with you (on my birthday ;))

Artetasgirl, whats up with Evertons home attendances lately, only 31k for the last two home league games.

Mixture of things, poor performances, credit crunch, lack of away fans (Boro and Fulham together wouldn't of even filled half the lower tier of the away end!), not exactly high profile games and more recently theres been quite a few fans, quite a few of whom I know, who are refusing to go until Kenwright shifts.

I may be speaking out of turn, but I don't see Everton as a threat. Infact, I don't see anyone as a threat to us for 5th. We've improved enough that unless we suffer an unlucky run of injuries, we're out on our own.

Our battle is for 4th.

You sure? We have improved also, and we haven't hit anywhere near top gear yet... :winkold:

I think Everton are a big threat!

They have proved over the last few seasons that they are incredibly consistent and had they won today they would be right on top of us in the league. As AG said they are playing crap at the moment but they have some good players who will improve.

Glad they dropped some points today!

I may be speaking out of turn, but I don't see Everton as a threat. Infact, I don't see anyone as a threat to us for 5th. We've improved enough that unless we suffer an unlucky run of injuries, we're out on our own.

Our battle is for 4th.

You sure? We have improved also, and we haven't hit anywhere near top gear yet... :winkold:

I'm as sure as I can be. Although I'm of course open to the possibility that I could be wrong, I believe that in terms of quality and depth, confidence and momentum, were streaks ahead. Not to mention that as of right now were in a much better position to add to the squad in January if necessary.

I've been saying since day dot that we'll finish 4th, I've seen nothing yet to change my mind. Everton on the other hand won't be anywhere near IMO.

Everton don't have a lot going for them at the moment. A few journeymen backed up by a good creative midfielder and an excellent manager. Their strikeforce is unstable with the injuries to Saha and the itchy feet of Yakubu. I don't imagine they'll be much of a threat to be honest. But I'm sure other people see the situation differently.

Edited in light of Trim's reprimand

What's all this about?

Everton don't have a lot going for them at the moment. A few journeymen backed up by a good creative midfielder and an excellent manager. Their strikeforce is unstable with the injuries to Saha and the itchy feet of Yakubu. I don't imagine they'll be much of a threat to be honest. But I'm sure other people see the situation differently.

Would you enlighten me on who the journeymen are please? And the creative midfielder? Cos if your talking Arteta he has been pretty awful this season, so I assume your talking about someone else.... Saha has been quality (and hes staying fit!) and Yak has been in and out.

Edited in light of Trim's reprimand

I agree with you generally, think there are much bigger theats out there.

I believe that in terms of quality and depth, confidence and momentum, were streaks ahead.

Just spoke to a friend of mine, he is a Chelsea fan, so neutral (yes he was a fan before they were good!) he says at full strength Everton have more quality and depth, but at the moment Villa are miles ahead in confidence and momentum. From a neutral ;)

I believe that in terms of quality and depth, confidence and momentum, were streaks ahead.

Just spoke to a friend of mine, he is a Chelsea fan, so neutral (yes he was a fan before they were good!) he says at full strength Everton have more quality and depth, but at the moment Villa are miles ahead in confidence and momentum. From a neutral ;)

Your point?

I just spoke to a dirty bluenose who disagrees. He's not neutral at all.

Your point?

I just spoke to a dirty bluenose who disagrees. He's not neutral at all.

Just saying, I wasn't making a point at all. I just think we have more strength in depth than people give us credit for.

Â