dudevillaisnice

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

According to people I know at the club, circa 60k and they think they will.

In terms of level of support they remind me of us and I don't see them regularly filling a 60k stadium. Certainly if they are hovering between 6th and 10th as they seem to.

Over the last 10 years their average attendance would be around 36k.This season they are doing pretty well and it is averaging over 38k. Just 5 years ago though when they finished 10th they averaged just over 33k.

As we saw with us in the Mon years give us a whiff of doing well and we can average 40k+. I don't know if like us they can ever push up to 60k though unless they are competing for the title.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

That'll be another classic old ground consigned to to the history books and replaced with a soulless bowl 

I know what you mean, however I will not miss the shitty restricted view. It's horrendous at Goodison, you can sometimes see less than 50% of the pitch. That's ridiculous

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of level of support they remind me of us and I don't see them regularly filling a 60k stadium. Certainly if they are hovering between 6th and 10th as they seem to.

Over the last 10 years their average attendance would be around 36k.This season they are doing pretty well and it is averaging over 38k. Just 5 years ago though when they finished 10th they averaged just over 33k.

As we saw with us in the Mon years give us a whiff of doing well and we can average 40k+. I don't know if like us they can ever push up to 60k though unless they are competing for the title.

I think they have a larger consistent core support than we do but that is a different conversation.

During our spell of finishing 6th we were averaging 40k at one stage. The point is, and I was making this at the time, it could have been far higher.

In those seasons we could probably have achieved over 50k in 10 of the home games, probably over 55k in a few of them. 

A larger capacity gives you the space to capitalise and generate additional income, both from home supporters and if necessary larger away allocations.

Perhaps had we extended the stadium rather than lavish money on average players we just might have been able to become a little more self sufficient or if not a little more self supporting.

I'm afraid a 40k stadium just doesn't really cut it in the top half of the PL any more, certainly not commercially.

Then there are other factors like commercial revenues from sponsorship and hospitality, Goodison isn't geared up for either.

Then finanally you have player attraction, a new stadium with a larger capacity signals ambition. That is important for both trying to sign players and retain them. 

So personally I don't think it really matters if they can't average 60k, there is so much more to it than that.

@TrentVilla I can't disagree with much of what you say there mate. I suppose the exception to the a 40k stadium not cutting it anymore in the top half of the Prem is Chelsea who as far as I know have no plans to move or expand.

The only thing that worries me as a Villa fan with adding another 15k seats, and likewise with Everton, is on the games when we do get 35k or under you are left with 25k empty seats and it can then drag the whole atmosphere down when there are loads of empty seats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@TrentVilla I can't disagree with much of what you say there mate. I suppose the exception to the a 40k stadium not cutting it anymore in the top half of the Prem is Chelsea who as far as I know have no plans to move or expand.

The only thing that worries me as a Villa fan with adding another 15k seats, and likewise with Everton, is on the games when we do get 35k or under you are left with 25k empty seats and it can then drag the whole atmosphere down when there are loads of empty seats.

That's a valid point about having empty seats. For me if I was villa and we ever get to the stage where we are a premier league club competing, I think gradual stadium increases. For me I would increase capacity to about 48k see how we get on there. If the demand is there then push to 55k

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Pretty sure Chelsea are looking to build a new stadium or rather expand Stamford Bridge as their plans for a Battersea Power station stadium didn't come off and they are having a hard time finding land to build on.

Chelsea new stadium Q&A: As Roman Abramovich faces key planning meeting, here's all you need to know about proposed 60,000 ground

Chelsea's planning application is to be presented to Hammersmith and Fulham Council on Wednesday

The Premier League club are hoping their expansion of Stamford Bridge will get the green light

Chelsea are currently restricted by a capacity of 41,629 at Stamford Bridge but want 60,000

The changing face of London football: Arsenal and West Ham have moved to new stadiums in the last 10 years, with Tottenham and Chelsea set to follow

Chelsea expect the expansion of Stamford Bridge to pass a major hurdle on Wednesday night when their planning application is presented to Hammersmith and Fulham Council.

After years of wrangling with a move away, club chiefs found a solution to build a 60,000-seat stadium on their existing site - provided they get permission.

Three years away from SW6 beckon as Stamford Bridge is re-built in one of the most ambitious stadium projects the country has seen.

So, how did Chelsea get here, what are their plans and what comes next? Here, Sportsmail answers the key questions. 

Chelsea hope that the expansion of Stamford Bridge will pass a major hurdle on Wednesday night - here's how it will look

Chelsea  hope that the expansion of Stamford Bridge will pass a major hurdle on Wednesday night - here's how it will look

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4109034/Chelsea-new-stadium-Q-Roman-Abramovich-faces-key-planning-meeting-s-need-know-proposed-60-000-ground.html

It's from January so things might have changed since then mind.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If as a club you are genuinely ambitious then youu don't tend to worry about that.

Chelsea want to move and have been trying for years but they've a complicated situation as they don't own the pitch or the freehold for the ground.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

@sne Cheers for the info mate. If that is really how the Chelsea Stadium will look than that is a monstrosity. 

:thumb:

Not really fitting in with it's surroundings is it :D

• Like 1

Evertons ground has been too small for them for about 3 years now so I definitely think a step up is needed. They certainly have the fanbase to fill a 50k stadium like us but it's whether they fill it regular if they are having a bad season or two. I've heard it's a 60k stadium and if I'm honest I think that will take success to fill it but who knows. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2017 at 22:21, mikeyp102 said:

Fair play, even though I'm pretty sure Koeman won't be anywhere near the team when they move into it. With Liverpool being a small city I've still never understood why they couldn't be like the Milan clubs and ground share 

Just, no. Both clubs have big histories, full of pride and iconic stadiums to them. To replace that with something that is shared with them? No. 

On 24/03/2017 at 18:58, Xela said:

That'll be another classic old ground consigned to to the history books and replaced with a soulless bowl 

I doubt that. They deliberately have picked an architect who produces bespoke designs, individual to the organisation. The lead designer has been over from the States on numerous occasions, even way back to 2015 (pre-Moshiri) - he has also interacted with fans via social media regularly... he's basically said he wants to use Goodison's best points in his design and seems intent on steep, intimate seating. He's taking on board fan comments and Everton have stated there will likely be a consultation phase with fans based on what they want.

On 25/03/2017 at 07:38, TrentVilla said:

Yep exactly. Moshiri works for Usmanov, it's Usmanov's company who is sponsoring the training ground and it is somewhat unclear where Moshiri's money comes from other than Usmanov.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Usmanov's Arsenal shareholding especially should they drop out of the CL.

Well, Usmanov bought Moshiri's shares in Arsenal prior to him investing. Latest Forbes figures have Moshiri's worth circa 2.5 billion. (Up by around a billion from when he first invested...) Not much these days but he is also qualifield chartered accountant and worked high up in some big global corporations. He knows his stuff and has brought knowledgable people in to the club to help him. He knows lots of financial loopholes, etc. He now has multiple investments alongside Usmanov in big brands like Uber, Spotify and Airbnb. Also an investor in one of the biggest Steel producing firms in Russia - may help lower stadium costs :)  Usmanov may be involved indirectly but we will never know fully the extent until he leaves Arsenal. 

On 25/03/2017 at 07:25, Demitri_C said:

How big is the stadium going to be? Will they be able to fill a 60k stadium?

hopefully be better than that crappy stadium west ham are in

I think 55-60k. Hopefully 60. 

We had a record number of season ticket sales this season, we've sold out every league game home and away, and when renewals opened at the end of January, Everton opened up a waiting list for season tickets that has reached 8k long in that time...1/4 of our season ticket holders are u22 as well which bodes well for the future.  

There is a real buzz about the place at the moment. 60k is both achievable and imo realistic...32k season tickets this season + 8k waiting list (at present!), 4-5k corporate, 3k away fans then walk ups...

Pretty sure every new ground has seen a big spike in attendance at first, up to us to perform on the pitch to keep them coming back and that is Moshiri's aim. 

Chelsea's stadium was approved, it's got planning permission and it's ready to go - they've gone through the local process's and they've agreed with the strange groups that own different elements - the render there isn't the best, the finished design is unique and kinda lovely.

One thing on having a ground that isn't full and its affect on atmosphere's - we seem to be pretty much okay with a full section of the ground closed - Everton (or Villa) in a 60,000 capacity stadium that occasionally has 20,000 empty seats would need to be careful about how those seats are spread around the place, but there's no reason why that should mean the atmosphere can't be sustained.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Everton winger Aaron Lennon is receiving treatment for a stress-related illness, his representatives say.

Lennon last played for Everton on February 11, when he came off the bench at Middlesbrough for a 13th appearance of the season.

Ronald Koeman gave an update on the England international ahead of last month's game against Manchester United, saying he "was not in a physical way to be part of the team".

And following a newspaper report about Lennon's welfare on Tuesday night, a statement from his representatives read: "Aaron Lennon is currently receiving care and treatment for a stress-related illness.

Aaron Lennon ill

Very sad that.

Always remember how miserable he looked when he actually signed for Everton. Everyone was joking about it then but he's probably had these issues for a while and it's built up with him not playing much anymore.

Could be mixing him up with someone else but didn't he have gambling issues around the time he left Spurs?

Extremely sad and yes people mocked the picture when he signed. Had Sherwood had his way it would be yet another issue at Villa, it sounds good but it's a relief it isn't.

I don't want to speculate on what is wrong with Lennon but the reports about how he was detained are worrying.

There does seem to be a growing issue with mental health in sport.

Everton winger Aaron Lennon is receiving treatment for a stress-related illness after being detained under the Mental Health Act.

Lennon last played for Everton on February 11, when he came off the bench at Middlesbrough for a 13th appearance of the season.

Ronald Koeman gave an update on the England international ahead of last month's game against Manchester United, saying he "was not in a physical way to be part of the team".

And following a newspaper report about Lennon's welfare on Tuesday night, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have confirmed Lennon is receiving hospital care.

"Police were called at around 4.35pm on Sunday 30 April 2017 to reports of a concern for the welfare of a man on Eccles Old Road," read a statement from GMP.

"Officers attended and a 30-year-old man was detained under Section 136 of the Mental Health Act and was taken to hospital for assessment."

A statement from the player's representatives read: "Aaron Lennon is currently receiving care and treatment for a stress-related illness.

"The club is supporting him through this and his family has appealed for privacy at this time."

Sky Sports News HQ understands Lennon is presently being treated in hospital in north-west England

Click

I hope the guy is ok. Thankfully he is getting help before anything more sinister occurred. Wonder if this something similar to Ross McCormack is going through? Get well soon mate

Â