Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bent finishes for a "team", and he has always needed 4/5 chances to put one in the back of the net. As a "team" we need to increase the number of six yard box opportunities to enable Bent to do his part of the job.

if thats the case, he is not worth the money we paid, or a place in the England squad.

He needs to offer the team more as much as the team needs to offer him more

The point is Woody that if Bent gets no service then he's easily marked out of the game. If he gets regular supply then he becomes hard to mark because he makes intuitive runs into the danger areas.

If he gets a lot of service then he's almost impossible to mark. I'm a great believer in identifying your teams strengths and playing to them, rather than setting up to just stop the opposition playing.

Bent finishes for a "team", and he has always needed 4/5 chances to put one in the back of the net. As a "team" we need to increase the number of six yard box opportunities to enable Bent to do his part of the job.

if thats the case, he is not worth the money we paid, or a place in the England squad.

The point is Woody that if Bent gets no service then he's easily marked out of the game. If he gets regular supply then he becomes hard to mark because he makes intuitive runs into the danger areas.

If he gets a lot of service then he's almost impossible to mark. I'm a great believer in identifying your teams strengths and playing to them, rather than setting up to just stop the opposition playing.

I understand the point -

my point is that he is only easily marked when there is a lack of service because he allows that to happen. He becomes lazy and looks like hes not arsed. If the ball isnt coming to you, go and get it or at least attempt to. Just do something.

He isnt good enough to justify standing waiting for the ball. Not by a long way. Id let him off if he was Linekar, Solskjaer or Muller because Id be confident that they only needed 1 sniff. Bent needs 5 or 6 sniffs and we just havent got the players to create that for him.

Its unfortunate and frustrating but he needs to shoulder some of the blame too imo

I understand the point -

my point is that he is only easily marked when there is a lack of service because he allows that to happen. He becomes lazy and looks like hes not arsed. If the ball isnt coming to you, go and get it or at least attempt to. Just do something.

He isnt good enough to justify standing waiting for the ball. Not by a long way. Id let him off if he was Linekar, Solskjaer or Muller because Id be confident that they only needed 1 sniff. Bent needs 5 or 6 sniffs and we just havent got the players to create that for him.

Its unfortunate and frustrating but he needs to shoulder some of the blame too imo

You're right Woody and that's always been the criticism at every club he's played for. I'm of the opinion that Villa have to accept his shortcomings and play to his strengths because we need his goals.

I said a few months ago that this would happen, but I'll repeat my point again

Daren Bent is one of the best finishers we have had at the club for the last 20 or so years. He is basically a goal machine who will convert 7 or 8 out of ten chances given to him

He does noth else than that.

I said that we had taken his supply line away and it would not be long before fans would say he is poor, contributes nothing and should go. I said that his conversion rate would need to be 100% not 70 or 80% because of the limited chances he would get and inevitably so it proves to be.

One of the few remaining class players we have at the club and his time here is, imo, limited.

im sorry but cant agree. HE had limited service at Charlton and Sunderladn and scored goals

He is basically a goal machine who will convert 7 or 8 out of ten chances given to him

He certainly isnt running off that ratio this season Richard. Had a lot more than 10 chances created for him this season and only scored 5. Not good enough.

Daren Bent is one of the best finishers we have had at the club for the last 20 or so years. He is basically a goal machine who will convert 7 or 8 out of ten chances given to him

I said that we had taken his supply line away and it would not be long before fans would say he is poor, contributes nothing and should go. I said that his conversion rate would need to be 100% not 70 or 80% because of the limited chances he would get and inevitably so it proves to be.

One of the few remaining class players we have at the club and his time here is, imo, limited.

Exactly!

And I'll add this - people need to loDok at the Sunderland team he scored shit loads of goals in to see that there's no excuses why we shouldn't be creating more chances for him. McShite has the players at his disposal to have us supplying Bent - thus scoring more goals, but he's too concerned with not losing for this to happen.

it was depressing watching bents only supply line being all the 50 yard hoofs collins kept sending his way. we need someone like bannan playing behind him, someone who can spot his runs and deliver an accurate pass. we dont need heskey playing there whose only contribution is to randomly fall over.

He is basically a goal machine who will convert 7 or 8 out of ten chances given to him

he has always needed 4/5 chances to put one in the back of the net.
Well, we have a bit of a difference here, don't we? If his conversion ratio is 7 or 8 out of 10 shots, that s pretty good. If it's one out of 4 or 5 shots, he needs around 30-40 shots to get his 7 or 8 goals.

Which of those it is makes quite a difference to the argument.

I don't suppose anyone has the actual figures for his shot to conversion ratio?

Spot on.

Interesting article in the Guardian. Darren Bent this season has the fewest touches of any player in the Premier Leauge. More surprising perhaps is Gabriel Agbonlahor is also in the top 10 for least touches of the ball. More reason why Gabby should partner Bent, he is not right as an out and out supplying winger. Unless we invest properly in January, I can see Benty leaving. He will have no hope of making Euro 2012 if things carry on like this, and that is what sounds like his main aim.

Aston Villa's manager, Alex McLeish, has pinpointed the need to supply the England striker Darren Bent with better service if the club are to turn around their disappointing run this season.

Villa's 1-0 home defeat by Manchester United on Saturday has left the club with a record of P14 W3 D7 L4 this season –matching precisely that of Birmingham City last season, the team McLeish managed before switching to Villa after Blues were relegated.

McLeish said "I'm not a quitter" after Villa's latest setback when his side were booed off at Villa Park on Saturday and insisted he is focused on providing better service to Bent. The England forward has touched the ball on average only 24.6 times per game this season, a figure that makes him comfortably the Premier League player with the fewest touches this season.

Worryingly for McLeish, Bent's strike partner Gabriel Agbonlahor is also in the bottom 10 for fewest touches this season with an average of 39 per game but it is making more use of Bent that is at the forefront of the manager's plans.

"He does make great movement, it's just a pity that sometimes we don't have quite the quality to see the runs and his movement," said McLeish.

"It's not easy, I'm just juggling the balls and asking for players to give me outstanding performances to stay in this team. We're looking for horses for courses every week now rather than saying: ' I can't leave him out.'

"There's seven out of 10 but we're looking for nines, eights or nines, and any of the midfielders that are ready to do that will be in this team. We created 10 chances in the Norwich game and he [bent] got a couple of goals and could have had another couple so we are capable of doing it depending on our personnel.

"I've watched a couple of games from last season and Bent only had one chance in the Man City game, his debut, and scored so he was starved of service that night as well but the guy only needs one chance and he could have been rolled in by Emile [Heskey] and it may have been different.

"We've got to plug away. [Gabriel] Agbonlahor in the game last week had more efforts on goal than Bent but sometimes it will happen that way, we can't just rely on Bent to score us the goals. Gabby has been fantastic this season and we look for the kid to retain his consistency and to be an even bigger threat than he has been and obviously [Charles] N'Zogbia, guys like Mark Albrighton, who I thought did really well in the second half, to come to the fore also."

McLeish accepts Villa's form has not been good enough – the team were not only canned off at full-time on Saturday but left the field at half-time to a chorus of boos – but he is adamant that he will not be forced out by fan power.

"I'm not going to criticise the fans," he said. "You know how difficult it was for me coming here in the first place and I've just got to persevere. As I've told you guys, I'm not a quitter and I'll go as far as I can to get this club turned around. But you know where you have to improve the quality, we have to make sure we defend with concentration and we've got to be a threat in the last third."

Of the team's performance against the champions, he said: "We didn't pass it well, gave the ball away willy-nilly. I don't think we really believed in ourselves. Fans did not like it. I wasn't particularly keen on it either. I was in unison with the fans on that one and the second half was better and they went right to the very end which I would have demanded of every team I've coached or managed. We got that."

McLeish admitted he might need to ask the chairman, Randy Lerner, to make funds available to bolster his squad in January. "Yes, that will be a fact. But, as I said, we've still got to try and trade carefully. But if we need emergencies, we have to seriously consider that as a club."

McLeish has one prominent supporter in the Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, who gave him some advice after Saturday's match. "He just said: 'You've got to keep going,'" said McLeish. "He said a few other things which will remain private but he said they were sweating a bit at the death after our second half."

Meanwhile, Aston Villa say Charles N'Zogbia is in contention to play against Bolton on Saturday, after the Frenchman was omitted from Alex McLeish's squad for the weekend defeat by Manchester United on disciplinary grounds.

N'Zogbia was punished – also reportedly by way of a fine – after failing to report for treatment on an injury last week. Villa confirmed that he returned to training on Monday, and may now feature at Bolton.

McLeish has now sought to draw a line under the affair. Villa's manager said: "Charles has to take it on the chin and show us the great player he can be. The players know we have got club rules and we will adhere to them.

"There are no grudges. I just want to see the boy go to another level. I think he can improve on what he has done before. We are looking to guys like Charles to come to the fore. Charles has got to be receptive and realise I want to help him and every single player at this club."

N'Zogbia has also shown remorse. He said: "My mind is focused on preparing for the game on Saturday at Bolton and I will train hard, as normal.

"I have spoken to the manager, he has dealt with it and we have no problem. We are in this together, so we just move on. I will work hard to get back in the team. I want to show the fans of Aston Villa what I can do for them and for the team and that will be my objective on Saturday."

N'Zogbia, who arrived in the Midlands from Wigan Athletic in the summer, was infamously branded "Charles Insomnia" by then-Newcaste

Aston Villa must make better use of Darren Bent, says McLiesh: The Guardian

"The England forward has touched the ball on average only 24.6 times per game this season, a figure that makes him comfortably the Premier League player with the fewest touches this season. "

These negative stats are really starting to mount up now.

Just backs up everyones complaints on how turd we have actually been.

Really re-emphasises just how isolated Bent is and how poor we have been.

McLeishs' words about how Fergie said he was sweating it a bit just confirms what we all know.

ie- Fergie loves to patronize ppl & teams he beats easily and McLeish is easily impressed.

Spot on.

Yup.

"He does make great movement, it's just a pity that sometimes we don't have quite the quality to see the runs and his movement," said McLeish.

"It's not easy, I'm just juggling the balls and asking for players to give me outstanding performances to stay in this team. We're looking for horses for courses every week now rather than saying: ' I can't leave him out.'

1. WE DO HAVE THE QUALITY, you just send them out with such **** negative non-tactics!

2. Heskey, Hutton, Collins... not one "outstanding performance" this season so why keep playing them???

Â