Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

On 3/4/2016 at 17:48, gharperr said:

Read posts lol

But I have read the posts. None of what you have said makes any sense. It is not possible, in the English language, for the accolade 'Greatest Of All Time' to be handed over to somebody just because they've played well for the last few months. That's not what 'of all time' means. Yet this is exactly what you claim about Vardy. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2016 at 04:59, HanoiVillan said:

But I have read the posts. None of what you have said makes any sense. It is not possible, in the English language, for the accolade 'Greatest Of All Time' to be handed over to somebody just because they've played well for the last few months. That's not what 'of all time' means. Yet this is exactly what you claim about Vardy. 

almost as if slang means more than one meaning....who the fk would have thought that hanoi!?!? 

i await your posts everytime somebody says LOL to ask them if theyre literally laughing out loud. 

still waiting other posters as to why i chat shit...fan forums are lolsometimes

Edited by gharperr

Does anybody apart from you use this slang though?

Look, you're right - I'm a crotchety old fuddy-duddy English teacher who thinks words have meanings. But I say this out of respect for you: you seem like somebody who knows a lot about football, especially elite European competition. A hell of a lot more than me anyway! The last time I watched a Champions League game was the Man U Chelsea final when Anelka missed a penalty. Actually, that's not true, I watched the final last year, but I was drunk and dozed through some of it. I remember Juve lost - I'm not sure who they lost to without checking, but I feel it might have been Barcelona?

You get the point I'm sure - you know more about this stuff than me, so I'm actually interested in your opinions (I might learn something!) but they're usually cloaked in such impenetrable gobbledygook that I have difficulty following them. 

EDIT: Not that you have to change on my account, go ahead and do as you please, I'm just providing some 'customer feedback' here. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

yeh. plenty people use GOAT as slang lol...just not on this forum

villachris already explained how he said #100 seed in tennis was GOAT vs #20 seed and he won. its slang. (i dont know exact tennis tankings that he said..but it was similar effect)

again...its usually means people over over perform current ability expectation 

Edited by gharperr

13 minutes ago, gharperr said:

yeh. plenty people use GOAT as slang lol...just not on this forum

villachris already explained how he said #100 seed in tennis was GOAT vs #20 seed and he won. its slang. (i dont know exact tennis tankings that he said..but it was similar effect)

again...its usually means people over over perform current ability expectation 

To be fair, this forum is pretty much the only contact I have with 'yoof' slang, so it's no surprise I'm not aware of it then. 

I don't really understand the comment about tennis? VillaChris said somebody who was ranked #100 was GOAT when they played someone ranked #20? Because the #100 ranked person won? Am I on the right lines?

I have at least got as far as understanding that 'LOL' doesn't actually involve laughing though, I will say that. 

right...#20 seed. beats #100 seed ALOT right? So if #100 seed is winning recent games and crushing and beating #20 seed...hes over performing expectation right?? (because 20 beats 100 more times than not)...same concept applies to football...say marhez or vardy at the moment are over performining expectation from start of the league...the slang on a lot of places...is to call them GOAT... (obv vardy never performs this well usually over 1 season....and even though marhez looks legit...he def is over performing what people think about him at the start of season)

ill say again..still waiting for people to say why im chatting shit about why poachers/target men cant make it towards top teams...that includes people who like their post..so you zatman (you always dodge posts all the time..so i expect nothing different here)

Edited by gharperr

Okay, got it!

Though I still say 'LOL' makes more sense than 'GOAT'. 'LOL' came about with the rise of instant messaging. Lots of people don't laugh at jokes when they read them online, when they would laugh at them if the person told them that joke face to face, so 'LOL' really made sense as long as you treated it as 'I would be laughing out loud if you said to my face what you just said via message'. 

I don't think 'GOAT' makes the same kind of intuitive sense.

Maybe we should talk about Darren Bent though, before any mods notice this conversation? What was the last year you would have to go back to to find a time when Darren Bent was a GOAT?

Edited by HanoiVillan

ok lets talk about darren bent and why players like him cant make it at top teams anymore ;)...shock redknapp couldnt make it with bent/defoe to make top 4 and now look where them players/manager are :D!

darrent bent was always good enough to make it at low non serious possession side where they can counter attack and wingers supply (which **** up press) which means lower league oppo...but he got redic lazy and couldnt finish the chances he was supposed to finish (the times at villa)....these type of players are always valuable for them teams because obviously they dont have the quality to  pass/move and move up the pitch to keep possession/press so quality of scoring chances is higher for them is to cross...compared to good players..where higher scoring chances is from pass/move and shoot from 5 yards out. (which is why klopp players when out wide (with benteke playing)...always cut in to keep possession, even though he doesnt have the pure quality in his plop team atm... trying to change within)

Edited by gharperr

Â