Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I too believe that Lambert may be telling porkies when it comes to this 'clause' relating to fees payable to Sunderland.

"Have there been any enquiries for Bent? No. Has he asked to be put on the transfer list? No' date='" said Lambert. "Is there a clause? That's not true. I'm not sure where that came from."[/quote']

He gives a straight bat answer to the first 2 questions, then elaborates on the third. I'm no psychologist, but that's the kind of thing I do when making things up.

Yes people in football never lie to the media.

Well, of course they do from time to time. So yes, it can be a lie. But nevertheless, people to tend to think that a truth they don't like must be a lie. Even if there's no reason for them to lie.

• Like 1

This is all about Maths and the potential savings in fees (£3m) and 2 years of salary £8m

So another £11m saved by Randy

£11m saved by Randy? How do you know Lambert will not be given the funds to bring in more players in January? We have a striker on 80k/week (give or take), which is contributing to crippling our wage structure, and he is not giving our manager what he feels is needed within the team. Compare that to someone like Benteke. A striker scouted by Lambert and his team, who is a snip at £7m and, I imagine, is on a lot less per week in wages that Bent.

I suppose the difference is you're assuming Lerner probably won't reinvest the money from any potential sale and I'm assuming he will.

I haven't seen anything reputable on Sunderland denying the clause yet, though I'm not sure I'd be convinced by it even if I did, because Lambert's denial didn't convince me.

Why would Lambert put up with it? Perhaps because he's accepted Bent has to go for financial reasons and is happy enough to spend whatever money he can get on a replacement.

I think dropping Bent from the squad when he got injured rather than keeping him on the bench was also a good move from the club from a PR point of view. If Bent comes off the bench and scores, suddenly you've got a bit of a headache with the fans if you're trying to sell him. This way, he doesn't get any chance at all to improve his reputation

Why do people think Lambert would sign up to this, or put up with it, and then help cover it up?

Maybe he has been promised a certain amount to strenghten in January. If there is a clause then maybe whatever we have to pay to Sunderland will come out of whatt he has in Jan to strenghthen???

Also some people have said why stop at 47 games, maybe Lambert is thinking if I can only use him twice more whats the point we may as well get used to him not playing, I suppose if he stays on 47 games and we have a bit on an injury crisis at least we can use him twice more. Its all speculation.

The whole thing is very odd, I cant imagine Lambert would leave Bent out of the squad for football reasons being as we struggle for goals, I imagine our transfer movement in January will tell us more.

I have posted this in another thread but proberly more suitable to this one.

Why the hell in the last few weeks have we had this 'has been' dream team formed by some posters opinions of all these over rated high earning older generation of high wage players that should be signed by Villa?

Lescott, Parker, Dawson, Adam, Berbatov, Dempsey, Downing, Barton, Hargreaves to name a few - all are over the age of 27 all are on 70k+ plus. We have just recovered from this period of disaster that caused alot of crap that has taken nearly 3 years to clear up!

I do not believe any of these type of players are now on the list of building materials needed of what this club is trying to build.

Gone are the days of signing 'proven premiership experience on high wages who are half the time out injured or not performing' on 60k+ a week wages. They simple do not offer us anything for the long term anymore and it is just a short term fix to cure what would be an on going headache.

The average age of our starting XI being 23 and soon to be on average 30k a week wages to then compare that to the average age and wages of all these who have left the club and will be leaving the club between June 2012 tll June 2013 definately gives an indication of whats going on here.

Why pay the above high prices on short term headaches when you can buy better quality for half the money that on average work twice as hard!

Considering the contracts left on most of them I would say quite a bit of money could be freed up in wages and built up in transfer fees considering most if not all of these players will leave come June.

• Dunne, Warnock, Makoun, Lichaj & I think Delfouneso aswell all have 7 months left.
  • Albrighton, Hutton & Ireland have 19 months left.
  • Bent & Delph have 31 months left.
  • NZogbia & Given have 43 months left.

Some are on below 60K some are on more than 60k a week so lets say for arguments sake they are all on average on 62k a week - 4 weeks in a month thats 240k each x 12 month = 2.9m a year each player. x by 10 players thats a nice whopping 29m roughly in wages a year just on these 10 players in there remaining contract periods - half of which are doing **** all for this club!

If all the above players mentioned leave this club between now and June we will be saving roughly 60m+ in wages based on the lengths of there contracts based on a 62k a week wage.

We should no problem also raise atleast 20-24m by the time they have all been sold in transfer fees.

By then Paul Lambert should have the foundations in place and ready to add to our squad after this player transistion with more quality at half the cost & wages arriving again to replace the players departing plus the big influx of money next season I think it is essential we finnish as high as we can and continue to build the team from top to bottom as Lambert is doing.

Personally I reckon Lamberts telling the truth.

As for DB I see the situation like this:

A - DB was the big dog! Almost guaranteed first team football based on his goal scoring record.

B - He started the season playing rubbish! Doing very little and being annoymous most of the time!

C - Benteke comes in and has been unplayable.

D - We have been playing with one upfront when Bent is out of the team. This is working for us!

E - Bent's been carrying a knock for most of the season so far.

F - Bent is throwing toys out of pram as he is no longer an automatic choice!

So Bent has two choices stop sulking, work hard and wait for his chance or hand in a transfer request.

I won't blame Lambert because the man is right in my opinion. You pick a team based on what you believe will get you results. When Bent was in the team we created nothing, so having Bent upfront when there is nothing for him to put away is pointless! Gabby and Benteke create havoc! Gabby's pace, directness and workrate are a constant menace playing as a wing striker not to mention he is strong as well. Benteke's strength, link up play, touch plus a bit of pace make him a real handful. He is reminicent of Drogba and Adebeyor in terms of not just his strength and aerial prowess but his touch and ability fo find his team mates most of the time. Bent is a clear second choice right now behind Benteke and if Benteke was ruled out of a match Bent might start, but there is also the temptation to put Gabby as the lone striker as he is more adept in the role.

The players we have and the system we play makes it difficult to find a place in the first team for Bent. Now if we are losing and are commiting bodies forward, Bent would be the perfect player to bring on, His best role in THIS team is super sub really! Now if we had a physically impossing athlete, with great passing prowess in midfield, two really creative, skillful wide men and a player adept at cutting the opposition open playing in the hole, DB would be a revelation, but for us right now he is a luxury!

Houilliers vison was Downing and Gabby wide with Young in the hole and a very promising looking Albrighton as back up to supply DB. Unfortunately Young and Downing left, Albrighton has not fulfilled his promise and HWSNBN spunked 10 million on the flop name N'Zogbia.

Our front 3 or Benteke, Gabby and Weimann are the primary source of creativity. Holmann, workman like but not particularly creative. Albrighton is hard working and when in his game puts in some good wing play, but is not creative, all we have is Ireland who has so far only ever shown us glimpses. Having Bent is like having a gas guzzling american muscle car when we can't afford to put petrol in it! End result it stays in the garage!

There are only 3 teams in the premier league that could incorporate bent, Chelsea (thanks to Mata, Hazard and Oscar), Liverpool (thanks to Suarez, Sterling -massive talent-, and Gerrard) and Man utd (take your pick!). Oh and maybe swansea. Of those teams only Liverpool are a realistic possibliity right now and they can't afford him! So unless we are happy to loan Bent to Liverpool or QPR are willing to take a punt Bent won't be going anywhere!

• Like 1

Are we ignoring that Sunderland have "apparently" denied the existence of the clause?

All part of an elaborate cover up. Fans simply don't get the truth. Why do you think Lerner no longer visits B6 games. He sits in the US where he's safe

This probably belongs in the conspiracy thread

Why do people think Lambert would sign up to this, or put up with it, and then help cover it up?

Because he doesn't rate bent as highly as Benteke and would like to sell him for extra funds.

I don't think it's a terrible thing, I just don't buy it that bent isn't even making the bench for footballing reasons.

If bent is moved on and lambert gets extra money to spend then no problem.

Games played

Christian Benteke - 11

Gabby Agbonlahor - 11

Andi Weimann - 10

Darren Bent - 9

Minutes on the pitch

Gabby Agbonlahor - 822

Christian Benteke - 796

Darren Bent - 590

Andi Weimann - 582

Goals

Christian Benteke - 3

Darren Bent -2

Andi Weimann - 2

Gabby Agbonlahor - 1

Shots

Christian Benteke - 22 - 11 on target

Darren Bent - 14 shots - 6 on target

Andi Weimann - 13 shots - 8 on target

Gabby Agbonlahor - 6 shots - 2 on target

Total passes

Christian Bentekje - 322

Gabby Agbonlahor - 196

Darren Bent - 125

Andi Weimann - 140

Passing accuracy

Gabby Agbonlahor - 80%

Andi Weimann - 75%

Darren Bent - 67%

Christian Benteke - 67%

Shows the others are more effective than him this season.

All part of an elaborate cover up. Fans simply don't get the truth. Why do you think Lerner no longer visits B6 games. He sits in the US where he's safe

It's almost as if you're being sarcastic in order to argue the other side.

Where's that picture? You know, the one of Heath Ledger with green hair and a painted on grin?

An elaborate cover up? That's pretty funny. Well done.

Personally I reckon Lamberts telling the truth.

As for DB I see the situation like this:

A - DB was the big dog! Almost guaranteed first team football based on his goal scoring record.

B - He started the season playing rubbish! Doing very little and being annoymous most of the time!

C - Benteke comes in and has been unplayable.

D - We have been playing with one upfront when Bent is out of the team. This is working for us!

E - Bent's been carrying a knock for most of the season so far.

F - Bent is throwing toys out of pram as he is no longer an automatic choice!

So Bent has two choices stop sulking, work hard and wait for his chance or hand in a transfer request.

I won't blame Lambert because the man is right in my opinion. You pick a team based on what you believe will get you results. When Bent was in the team we created nothing, so having Bent upfront when there is nothing for him to put away is pointless! Gabby and Benteke create havoc! Gabby's pace, directness and workrate are a constant menace playing as a wing striker not to mention he is strong as well. Benteke's strength, link up play, touch plus a bit of pace make him a real handful. He is reminicent of Drogba and Adebeyor in terms of not just his strength and aerial prowess but his touch and ability fo find his team mates most of the time. Bent is a clear second choice right now behind Benteke and if Benteke was ruled out of a match Bent might start, but there is also the temptation to put Gabby as the lone striker as he is more adept in the role.

The players we have and the system we play makes it difficult to find a place in the first team for Bent. Now if we are losing and are commiting bodies forward, Bent would be the perfect player to bring on, His best role in THIS team is super sub really! Now if we had a physically impossing athlete, with great passing prowess in midfield, two really creative, skillful wide men and a player adept at cutting the opposition open playing in the hole, DB would be a revelation, but for us right now he is a luxury!

Houilliers vison was Downing and Gabby wide with Young in the hole and a very promising looking Albrighton as back up to supply DB. Unfortunately Young and Downing left, Albrighton has not fulfilled his promise and HWSNBN spunked 10 million on the flop name N'Zogbia.

Our front 3 or Benteke, Gabby and Weimann are the primary source of creativity. Holmann, workman like but not particularly creative. Albrighton is hard working and when in his game puts in some good wing play, but is not creative, all we have is Ireland who has so far only ever shown us glimpses. Having Bent is like having a gas guzzling american muscle car when we can't afford to put petrol in it! End result it stays in the garage!

There are only 3 teams in the premier league that could incorporate bent, Chelsea (thanks to Mata, Hazard and Oscar), Liverpool (thanks to Suarez, Sterling -massive talent-, and Gerrard) and Man utd (take your pick!). Oh and maybe swansea. Of those teams only Liverpool are a realistic possibliity right now and they can't afford him! So unless we are happy to loan Bent to Liverpool or QPR are willing to take a punt Bent won't be going anywhere!

Agree with all of your post Philosopher - except Bent has more than two options. More than likely he'll huff and puff and try and force a move without requesting a transfer as it only costs him his loyalty money. The player will win 9 times out of 10 in these situations - it's up to Villa to simply get as much cash as possible for him. It's now that we really need the likes of a Levy type character at the club.

• Like 1

Â