Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Bent just doesn't suit our current style of play and tactics

I'm sure we have got a Plan B, but it would be a luxury for us to keep a £24m striker (or a £12m striker?) on the bench to throw on when needed

I think we all know deep down that Bent is on his way in January. I'd imagine that we do not want him injured before that

This article hits the nail on the head

http://www.astonvill...ill-be-leaving/

Did you write that 'VillaCas?' Come on, own up? ;)

May well be the business model going forward

Or stagnating CI?

Morpheus, my view is let's just get through this season and survive, then we can move on to Lerner who is clearly setting us up to be an album filler type club he can milk for £50m a year for the next 10 years.

Let's deal with that come May 2013.

To be fair to lambert he's made a decision and he's got the balls to stick with it. Because at the end of the day if the worst happens and we do go down Lambert is the man who dropped and sold one of the best goal scorers in the league. Luckily for him I think he'll put the money to good use so this won't happen.

Agreed CI. I think everyone realizes that we are in for a struggle this season and expectation levels are realistically low. I'm not sure yet what exactly Lerner's long term plan is for the club but we are certainly in for a bumpy ride.

I still do not see Lerner pocketing 50m a year, CI, that seems outrageous considering our current financial state and all; however, maybe I do not know nearly enough about new revenue from Sky and so forth. In terms of a price for when Lerner sells us I reckon he could make some money considering he bought it pretty cheaply...but anywars I'll stop becuase this isn't about Bent :offtopic:

I know no one believes me but we did try and sell Bent last January. So this has been rumbling on for a while now. Why? I am not so sure.

Interesting! I do see a lot of credibility to it, simply because he's our most saleable asset, and if any manager wants to build his own team he needs funds.

How did you hear we tried to sell his last year?

Credible? Not if you are really into asset play.

If we wanted to sell Darren Bent to get the money we would have played him and let him score lots of goals like he always do, they the value would stay competitive and we could have a bidding war. He is our best striker and only real gem, so that would make us score more goals and win more football matches (at least in theory).

How to lower his reasonable price? By letting a 12-year old from Chesterfield take his place on the bench, after ousting Bent to the stands and let the manager insult everyone's intelligence by answering like a child at the press conference later the same evening.

No matter what is going on regarding Bent, the club and/or the manager is dealing very poorly with this situation in terms of respect towards the fans.

Blatantly a case of money going to Sunderland if he registers another appearance for us.

Not sure where we go with this as a club, but if its a couple of million pound we're talking then I say leave him out.

I trust Lambert in January to go and get a few more good, willing players for the club so Bents sale could help with this.

right.... i'll throw in my thoughts on this again, having just caught up on the last 20 pages.

first, i presume that bent is off in january, although i am not sure what the reason is - 50 game add-on fee, PL doesn't like him, bent doesn't want to play... could be any of them.

i think that PL's approach with the press is to insinuate, without directly saying so, that the reason DB is not in the matchday squad is down to his application in training being insufficient. i don't draw any conclusions from this - he may be right, or it may be that he is being sold for one of the first two reasons, but it makes no sense for PL to bring the vitriol of the fans down on him and / or the club, by directly saying so.

if there was no intention to sell bent in january - his place would be on the bench right now...

but, if the club intend to keep bent, and assuming that he is now fit, then PL needs to sit down with him (if he hasn't already) and set out the parameters on which he would stay at the club and how PL plans to play him - 'clear the air' talks if you will.... at that point, both PL and bent can figure out whether or not this works for them and move on, one way or the other.

my thought on whether PL thinks this is possible, is that if the structure is a big focal point CF like benteke, with support from say gabby and weimann (or new purchases in January) then bent is not a like-for-like fit for any of those three. bringing him on for benteke means that we lose the ability to play it to a big man who can hold the ball up and lay it off to players coming through.

as such, what i can see happening is selling bent and replacing him with a large young striker currently playing in europe, who will be far closer to a like to like swap for benteke when he comes off / is injured / gets suspended...

a couple of other more general thoughts:

• PL finds himself now in a difficult position with dealing with bent - if he plays DB9 or puts him on the bench, the whole game becomes about him, which I am sure PL believes is entirely unfair to the rest of the squad. he may also be seen as backing down on a stance that he has taken and i'm sure the daily mail will delight in playing that up as a moral victory for bent...
  • harry redknapp's article a few pages back where he tried to apologise for the treatment of bent in the spurs days was, for me, very telling... harry made a stupid comment that he shouldn't have made... however, that was it - bent decided that statement made his position at the club untenable and was out of there almost immediately. in the words of harry: "I like Darren, I have no problems with him. I just made a comment that maybe I shouldn’t have. It was difficult, he didn’t like that and within no time he decided he wanted to go.” this isn't the first time this has happened in bent's career....

so, i guess in conclusion, i am seeing nothing that suggests to me that bent is staying after january... i think he will be replaced by a young striker that can act as a target man, that is doing well in his own european league, and that will work his socks off for the team. the residual money will be used to buy a winger to fill the role currently being filled by andi weimann - that will give us a few more options up front for the rest of the season.

however, if that's decided and agreed by both bent and lambert, i'd put bent right back on the bench - we really really need him for now when things aren't going right, like the first hour against reading on tuesday.

and another thing, as far as him going to QPR - paying in excess of GBP10m for a 28 year old striker is absolutely not tony fernandes modus operandi, in football or in his other businesses....

much as it makes sense and harry would love it, i just don't see it happening...

its important to remember that for all people think money is being thrown at qpr, TF has less net worth than randy.

further, in his core businesses, he has far more at stake, and far greater needs for capital... i suspect he is already realising that owning a premier league football club is a massive folly - to take another highly paid footballer on an expensive long term contract, with little resale value is not something that i think will appeal to him...

and another thing, as far as him going to QPR - paying in excess of GBP10m for a 28 year old striker is absolutely not tony fernandes modus operandi, in football or in his other businesses....

much as it makes sense and harry would love it, i just don't see it happening...

its important to remember that for all people think money is being thrown at qpr, TF has less net worth than randy.

further, in his core businesses, he has far more at stake, and far greater needs for capital... i suspect he is already realising that owning a premier league football club is a massive folly - to take another highly paid footballer on an expensive long term contract, with little resale value is not something that i think will appeal to him...

QPR bought a 31 year old in Bobby Zamora for 4-7m. So I think it quite possible they are willing to buy a 28 year old proven PL goalscorer for 10-12m, especially if they are in the relegation zone.

Â