Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

In short:

He wouldn't be first name on the teamsheet at a top club because despite being prolific he's considered to be a limited player

He's an expensive player

The teams that could afford him would unlikely see him as decent value for money because of his age.

He wants to play games. He didn't like being rotated/backup at Spurs.

He is one of the most important players at Villa. I think he likes that.

He plays lots of games at Villa. I think he likes that.

He's getting the opportunity to play for England whilst at Villa, I think he likes this.

I do think he is ambitious and could be tempted by a big enough offer.

I think the only club who would be truly willing to pay Bent's fee are Liverpool.

As soon as we get this season out of the way Villa will be back on the up.
Let's hope you're correct! Either way, I admire your optimism, however, you should know that VillaTalk will attempt to smash the sh!te out of it! :winkold:

Right on cue...

If he wants to be challenging for fifth/sixth place (as Villa will be next year)
Haha, what? 1.gif

:hooray:

Thinking we'll be challenging for 5th/6th next season isn't optimism, it's downright fantasy. I'm an optimistic person myself (although I'm not optimistic about this manager) but even I accept that unless we get a better manager in and spend big, we'll be nowhere near to challenging for 5th/6th.

Go back a year.. Houghton had been sacked whilst doing a decent job. Pardew was hardly the fan favourite to take the job. They sold their main man for £35m, and barely spent a penny of it. I wonder what the reaction to a Newcastle fan at that time suggesting they may be fighting for 5th/6th this season would've been. And what're they doing now?

Not saying I think we'll do the same, I don't. But strange things happen in football.

Go back a year.. Houghton had been sacked whilst doing a decent job. Pardew was hardly the fan favourite to take the job. They sold their main man for £35m, and barely spent a penny of it. I wonder what the reaction to a Newcastle fan at that time suggesting they may be fighting for 5th/6th this season would've been. And what're they doing now?

Not saying I think we'll do the same, I don't. But strange things happen in football.

Yeah but Pardew is on a completely different level to McLeish.

Thinking we'll be challenging for 5th/6th next season isn't optimism, it's downright fantasy. I'm an optimistic person myself (although I'm not optimistic about this manager) but even I accept that unless we get a better manager in and spend big, we'll be nowhere near to challenging for 5th/6th.

Have faith Mantis!

You used to be such a cheerful fellow :winkold: Now you sound like my Grandad (no offence)

Have faith Mantis!

You used to be such a cheerful fellow :winkold: Now you sound like my Grandad (no offence)

Yeah well that's how little faith I have in McLeish. I was willing to give him a chance after I got over the frustration at him being appointed but since that Spurs game I lost a lot of confidence in him and he hasn't really done much to win it back. His track record in the Premier League doesn't make for good reading either.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Before this season Pardew was hardly considered a top manager. He failed at West Ham, Charlton and Southampton before getting the Newcastle job because no one else would touch it. Quite a similar level to McLeish I'd say. Although McLeish has won a trophy, Pardew has not.

Up until this season NO ONE on this board would have considered Alan Pardew to be a 'different level' to AM! Everyone would have thought that they were BOTH shit!

I don't see a lot of people praising Mcleish, I see a lot of people absolutely slating him and then others defending him somewhat. I don't think I've seen anyone stating that they're happy with him as manager. That seems to be a major problem on this board. People seem to think in extremes. If you defend Mcleish against some of the stupid and immature things said about him (like calling him Ginger C*****) or even suggest he might, just might have done something positive, people seem to think you're in love with him and that you think he's the best manager since Ron Saunders. It's never that black and white I'm afraid chaps.

Pardew is currently 5th in the table sitting above Liverpool and Arsenal.

McLeish is currently 12th in the table sitting below Norwich and Stoke.

People seem to be giving McLeish alot of praises lately. Hilarious.

and when the position was vacant someone mentioned Pardew to which 99.9% of this website told that person they were completely mental for that suggestion.

and when the position was vacant someone mentioned Pardew to which 99.9% of this website told that person they were completely mental for that suggestion.

My point exactly.

Pardew has had 3/4's of a good season this year. Let's see where they finish and what they do next year especially when the big boys come knocking for their better players in the summer?

I don't like AM or want him as our manager but I am willing to give credit where it's due when our team puts in a decent performance or he signs a decent player. If the boot is on the other foot and we go out and set up and perform like we did at Spurs or Swansea then I will critisize. Does this make me fickle, no IMO, I am just providing comment on what is seen on the pitch.

no it's not fickle but some people seem to completely avoid the second half performance at QPR which is our best half since MoN left IMO. I haven't seen us do that even under the french owl.

The main thing is that we continue to pick up points and get safe then just throw the kids in who need a make or break few games.

if they make it they ARE first team and if they don't then we sell them.

I expect our first squad to include

Albrighton

Clark

Bannan

Herd

Delph

Gardner

As much as I like Delfouneso perhaps we have enough strikers for the moment and Weimann may need another season?

That should mean even with petrov departing and Cuellar (dont want him to go would rather collins left) we have those replaced.

If we sell warnock we need a LB and another RB and a real solid DM.

I think that is all good.

My point exactly.

Pardew has had 3/4's of a good season this year. Let's see where they finish and what they do next year especially when the big boys come knocking for their better players in the summer?

I don't like AM or want him as our manager but I am willing to give credit where it's due when our team puts in a decent performance or he signs a decent player. If the boot is on the other foot and we go out and set up and perform like we did at Spurs or Swansea then I will critisize. Does this make me fickle, no IMO, I am just providing comment on what is seen on the pitch.

Agreed.

Â