Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I think Bent has a knack for scoring opportunist goals and, with his strike ratio, will ultimately have proved a worthwhile buy. And lets face it, where would we be without the goals he's scored? Creeks and paddles springs to mind.

A comment I did find interesting though, listening to the commentary the other day, came from Tony Morley who criticized DB for not sticking his head in where it hurts. There was a chance and he chose not to take it. He did'nt outright call him a bottler, but he remarked how you would never have seen Andy Gray or Withe (I think) ever do the same......which tbh I have to agree with.

but you wouldnt have seen gary shaw stick his head in where it hurts.

i can genuinley understand and even hoped he would make a challenge, but he isnt that sort of player, what is the point in him going for 5 50/50 balls per game and getting injured every other game?

those players who go for anything and everything are people like heskey, they dont get many goals, and the reason for that is that they have expended so much on trying to win every 50/50 that they have **** all else to offer.

30 years ago when a 'war horse' such as andy gray or peter with would play with a small nippy forward and there was generally at least 1 winger who who slam the ball in from the angles 5 times per game. it worked because most teams did it.

nowdays lok at most of the best forwards in the premier league, how many of those are players who go in for each 50/50?

possibly rooney, who tends to get sent off / booked/ subbed after he has made his 3rd or 4th 50/50 as it normally means he is getting frustrated.

van persie? not a challenger, he may throw the odd elbow or stick out the odd foot but is not a throw you head in where it hurts player

nor aguero

ba ? nope, dzeko ? nope

i would say the 'top player who plays like this is.... andy carol.

football has moved on where forcing the ball over the line will normally result in a free kick to the defending team.

so while we can all look back on the days of gary thompson, cyril regis, withe, gray, mcinally

the ones who have scored the most per game are platt, shaw, yorke, skillful players who didnt throw themselves at everything.

i have not checked any stats for this its just my thoughts. but while giving 100% physically in each game makes players a fans favourite, nowdays it is more than just graft, there is also guile.

I'm backing him to score 2 tonight. How anyone can slag him off is completely bizarre to me
Yeah but he aint a hard worker innit? What we need is a good old fashioned British striker who can put his body about. Who cares about the fact that he scores a goal every other game? If you don't put the effort in you're worthless innit?

;)

he scores 1 in 2, what more can people expect from him is beyond me. do they want 1 in 1? he'd be playing for United or Barcelona ffs.

We need to ensure he keeps scoring and show him and the fans in the summer we plan to get some decent players in.

he scores 1 in 2, what more can people expect from him is beyond me. do they want 1 in 1? he'd be playing for United or Barcelona ffs.

We need to ensure he keeps scoring and show him and the fans in the summer we plan to get some decent players in.

People expect what hes currently delivering. Goals and playing well for the team. Well thats what I expect.

He wasnt doing that earlier in the season when his goal scoring record was NOT 1 in 2

Â