Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

To be fair some of the balls he had to deal with up to him today were awful.

They were, but he has to make an effort to turn them into good balls surely. Bannans cross in the last minute is a prime example. Shit cross launched into the box that the keeper gathers comfortably unchallenged.

Not saying he wouldnt have gathered it comfortably had Bent (about 3 yards away) challenged it, but you just never know. Especially in the last minute. Just go for it.

His goal against Wolves showed what can happen when you just give that little bit extra.

:|

That cross in the last minute was about 4 feet too high for him. He could've been 7 foot and he never would've reached it.

It really was a great goal he scored. Number 9s should never be allowed in their own penalty area at the best of times, his tackle yesterday was an utter nightmare. To be fair it was a collective brainfart and despite the complete misery I feel today I think I'll forgive him. Did someone let the England batting coach take our half-time team talk btw?

They were, but he has to make an effort to turn them into good balls surely. Bannans cross in the last minute is a prime example. Shit cross launched into the box that the keeper gathers comfortably unchallenged.

Not saying he wouldnt have gathered it comfortably had Bent (about 3 yards away) challenged it, but you just never know. Especially in the last minute. Just go for it.

His goal against Wolves showed what can happen when you just give that little bit extra.

That cross in the last minute was about 4 feet too high for him. He could've been 7 foot and he never would've reached it.

So.........

apply some pressure on the keeper at least. We all know what can happen in the last minute with Arsenal keepers. 99% likely nothing would happen if Bent applied pressure but thats better than 100% likely nothing would happen if he didnt apply pressure.

Same with the one in the first half and the cross from petrov in the 2nd. Dstinct lack of effort to get to the ball. Especially the one in the first

So.........

apply some pressure on the keeper at least. We all know what can happen in the last minute with Arsenal keepers. 99% likely nothing would happen if Bent applied pressure but thats better than 100% likely nothing would happen if he didnt apply pressure.

Same with the one in the first half and the cross from petrov in the 2nd. Dstinct lack of effort to get to the ball. Especially the one in the first

Nobody's perfect.

Why are you so harsh on him? I mean, he's clearly been putting the effort in recently and he's scored 3 goals in his last 3 games.

if our defence/midfield werent so crap he wouldn't have needed to track back in the first place

No, if he had made a better initial challenge for the ball he wouldnt have needed to track back because the run would have never started or if it had it wouldnt have had the same momentum.

so you are saying that our strike force should have the ability of a defender then?

So.........

Nobody's perfect.

Why are you so harsh on him? I mean, he's clearly been putting the effort in recently and he's scored 3 goals in his last 3 games.

Im not harsh on him. I praise every good thing he does.

He cost 24m (with add ons) and is on 70k a week and I expect more.

if our defence/midfield werent so crap he wouldn't have needed to track back in the first place

No, if he had made a better initial challenge for the ball he wouldnt have needed to track back because the run would have never started or if it had it wouldnt have had the same momentum.

so you are saying that our strike force should have the ability of a defender then?

Not sure how you have got to that but no.

Our strike force should show more effort challenging for the ball. Watch the goal See how easily Bent lets him have the ball. You can almost see him think - shit, i need to get back to make up for that.

So.........

Nobody's perfect.

For £18m, I think scoring a goal every other game is pretty damn good. He could score a hat-trick and you'd still find something to criticise him on.

So.........

Nobody's perfect.

For £18m, I think scoring a goal every other game is pretty damn good. He could score a hat-trick and you'd still find something to criticise him on.

No i woudnt. Show me the point where I critcised his Chelsea/Everton and Wolves games?

And if he hadnt have been so stupid yesterday I probably wouldnt have highlighted him yesterday. See my post admitting he actually delivered yesterday what Ive always asked/expected of him - a goal.

I think both our opinions have merit. Thats shown by the difference in attitude displayed by both of us on here from week to week. Only difference is, your attitude when he hasnt done so well is to go missing :winkold:

bent is not a target man, never has been never will be, while i admit it can be frustrating when he doesnt seem to challenge for a header in the last minute , on the keeper, it isnt his game.

it would be the same as expecting messi to go in on 50/50% 2 footed challenges against players and complaining that he pulls out or tries to skip over the challenge.

it has been a long long time since we have had that sort of instinctive striker, why would we play it like wwe do to heskey, bent wont fight for the ball and fight it out with defenders, he uses his brain and body and moves on instinct to where he thinks the ball will land. think gary shaw but with less skill but more instinctive movement

he is good at what he does and he will always look shit if the ball is lumped up to him to battle against 2 centre halves.

feed it in to him, slam it in from the wings and you will normally get a return, lump it and as mentioned, it is as if we are playing with 10 men.

bent does what it says on the tin, it is up to the manager to get the team playing to our strengths, not to use 1 basic tactic and wonder why lumping it up to a top finisher doesnt result in lots of goals and lots of points.

if we had a solid defence, had 2 ball winners in the middle and 2 floating midfielders such as ireland and nzog or alby and gabby and bent, you would probably see far more goals and probably far more points as the ball winners in the middle would be playing it on the ground keeping it simple for the clever players to see the movement and make the passes.

Darren Bent is by far and away the best goalscoring centre forward I have seen at villa park since I have been attending games and that goes back to the 87-88 season.

Its typical villa to get different pieces of the Jigsaw at different times. Under MON we had Milner, Downing and Young and just needed a goalscorer, we now have one of the best strikers in the premier league but no longer have Milner,Downing or Young. Only my beloved Aston Villa could pull that one off. Thats why supporting them is such a love hate relationship :lol:

Darren Bent is quality end of discussion 8)

I think Bent has a knack for scoring opportunist goals and, with his strike ratio, will ultimately have proved a worthwhile buy. And lets face it, where would we be without the goals he's scored? Creeks and paddles springs to mind.

A comment I did find interesting though, listening to the commentary the other day, came from Tony Morley who criticized DB for not sticking his head in where it hurts. There was a chance and he chose not to take it. He did'nt outright call him a bottler, but he remarked how you would never have seen Andy Gray or Withe (I think) ever do the same......which tbh I have to agree with.

Â