Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Go back a few pages and people are saying we should sell him because he doesn't fit into Mcleish's style of play :crylaugh: :bonk:

Go back a few pages and people are saying we should sack Mcliesh because hes managed to make Darren Bent not score :crylaugh: :bonk:

I was certainly impressed at how he went for the ball leading up to the penalty incident - not really very Bent-like at all!

I wonder if having Robbie Keane in the squad may have perked Bent up a bit.

A bit of competition and a new companion who knows where the goal is and lives to score.

Let's hope it gets better still, because Bent has been a bit useless so far in many games this season.

Outstanding for the goal today but thats where it stops.

Watch the 3rd goal at the start where Koscielny (spelling) beats him to the ball. If he makes more effort to move the the ball then koscielny doesnt get an easy gathering which gives him the momentum to partake on the run - and we all know how that ended. :bang: - schoolboy stuff - really was.

That said, he gets his goal (which Ive always said is all he needs in a game to please me). He just doesnt need to ruin it with gifting them with a penalty

I thought he did enough to get the ball without conceding the foul - referee was very keen to give it. Alas, it was a tackle he had no right in making. His finish today was excellent. Could have scored earlier in the half but didn't want to get flattened by Fabianski.

Bent is a good goal scored and that is it. You have a player like this in your team when you have another 9 out field players that can do the rest and give him service. If we had Bent when we had Young, Downing, Milner, Barry etc in the team then he would have been priceless. At the moment although he must still play he and the team does suffer for the fact we need him to do do so much more than score goals.

I thought he did enough to get the ball without conceding the foul - referee was very keen to give it. Alas, it was a tackle he had no right in making. His finish today was excellent. Could have scored earlier in the half but didn't want to get flattened by Fabianski.

On replay, its a stonewall pen.

In realtime I thought it was harsh, but I just thought why would you do that? Even if Cuellar wasnt there it would be a daft challenge to make.

Just dont give the ref the option.

I wonder is it worth being a man down every game to get a goal from him every other game. When Bent isn't scoring he might as well not be on the pitch. That's why he'll never play for a team that's bigger or better than us. At the start of the second half when the pressure was on and every clearance went his way, instead of doing his upmost to get to the ball or at least foul his marker while trying to get to the ball he made no effort.

I wonder is it worth being a man down every game to get a goal from him every other game. When Bent isn't scoring he might as well not be on the pitch. That's why he'll never play for a team that's bigger or better than us. At the start of the second half when the pressure was on and every clearance went his way, instead of doing his upmost to get to the ball or at least foul his marker while trying to get to the ball he made no effort.

Good point. But on the other hand I think having a goal scorer is one of the small positives we can take from our squad.

I don't agree with this, goal scorers are priceless to top teams and in the right team with the right players around him it wouldn't matter if he did 'nothing'. But then again i don't care if he doesn't play for a team bigger than us, if we didn't have him this season then we'd be in the bottom 3.

he scored a good goal today and conceeded a penalty filling in at right back. He should have stayed up the pitch and not tracked back that far to tackle. Track back and pressurise but if Hutton can't be arsed to do his job then Bent should just let him go in the box.

To be fair some of the balls he had to deal with up to him today were awful.

They were, but he has to make an effort to turn them into good balls surely. Bannans cross in the last minute is a prime example. Shit cross launched into the box that the keeper gathers comfortably unchallenged.

Not saying he wouldnt have gathered it comfortably had Bent (about 3 yards away) challenged it, but you just never know. Especially in the last minute. Just go for it.

His goal against Wolves showed what can happen when you just give that little bit extra.

he scored a good goal today and conceeded a penalty filling in at right back. He should have stayed up the pitch and not tracked back that far to tackle. Track back and pressurise but if Hutton can't be arsed to do his job then Bent should just let him go in the box.

and here is the problem. one week folks are moaning all he does is stand up top and add nothing but goals. this week folks are moaning when he does try and do 'his bit' for the team

if our defence/midfield werent so crap he wouldn't have needed to track back in the first place

if our defence/midfield werent so crap he wouldn't have needed to track back in the first place

No, if he had made a better initial challenge for the ball he wouldnt have needed to track back because the run would have never started or if it had it wouldnt have had the same momentum.

Â