Fernando Torres

maqroll

As was said earlier, Torres at his peak was exceptional for Liverpool. It is like he lost it overnight.

Or his peak at Liverpool was the anomaly.

People always say Torres has never returned to form.

I think this is his form. The Liverpool spell was the exception to the rule.

Plenty of people predicted him to flop at Liverpool because he wasn't THAT good at Atletico

• Like 1

As was said earlier, Torres at his peak was exceptional for Liverpool. It is like he lost it overnight.

Plenty of people predicted him to flop at Liverpool because he wasn't THAT good at Atletico

Exactly this.

The period were Torres was best striker in the Prem is completely out of sync with his career before that. He joined Liverpool with a record of a good, not great, striker. He's dropped further since then but he shouldn't have been expected to achieve that form indefinitely. It was a completely out of character period of success.

think he is gone and as said the Liverpool form just seems a bit of a blip, he has only once ever got more than 20 league goals in a season and his 168 goals in 436 league  games is very respectable but not of a world beater

Torres was in a bad run of form when he joined Chelsea and had been for a good 6 months which made the fee they paid for him ridiculous. Didn't it take him 9 games to score for Chelsea?

Exactly this.

The period were Torres was best striker in the Prem is completely out of sync with his career before that. He joined Liverpool with a record of a good, not great, striker. He's dropped further since then but he shouldn't have been expected to achieve that form indefinitely. It was a completely out of character period of success.

He was excellent at Athletico, he scored goals and lead the line like an absolute champ as a teenager.

I think you are being a bit harsh there.

I will say though, I don't think he ever done it for Spain, despite his decent goal return.

I will say though, I don't think he ever done it for Spain, despite his decent goal return.

You can't judge a player based on his goal return in international football. 80% of the games in international football aren't competitive. Just look at Peter Crouch's goal scoring record for England.

It seems as though Torres Liverpool spell was a blip. He was never a player who contributed anything in open play, just a finsher. Once he lost his confidence (which seems to have been very fragile) he lost the only thing he had and had nothing to fall back on. Always be wary of "goalscorers" who don't take penalties...it's a sign they they don't have mental strength (IMO). Andy 'Andrew' Cole being one of the few execptions.

Edited by villa89

Clearly he was a flash in the pan, won nothing really, apart from these minor honours...

Club

Atlético Madrid

Segunda División: 2001–02[198]

Chelsea

FA Cup: 2011–12[198]

UEFA Champions League: 2011–12[198]

UEFA Europa League: 2012–13[198]

International

Spain U16

UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship: 2001[198]

Spain U19

UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship: 2002[198]

Spain

UEFA European Football Championship: 2008, 2012[198]

FIFA World Cup: 2010[198]

FIFA Confederations Cup: Third place 2009,[198] Runner-up 2013[198]

Individual

UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship Player of the Tournament: 2001

UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship top scorer: 2001

UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship Player of the Tournament: 2002[198]

UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship top scorer: 2002

Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2007–08, 2008–09

Premier League Player of the Month: February 2008, September 2009

Premier League Goal of the Month: April 2009,[199] March 2010

Euro 2008 Final Man of the match (vs Germany)

UEFA Euro Team of the Tournament: 2008

UEFA Team of the Year: 2008

FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2008, 2009

ESM Team of the Year: 2007–08

FIFA World Player of the Year Third place: 2008

Ballon d'Or Third place: 2008

FIFA Confederations Cup Silver Shoe: 2009

FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament: 2009[200]

Marca Leyenda award: 2012

UEFA Euro Golden Boot: 2012[198]

FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Shoe: 2013

FIFA Confederations Cup Team of the Tournament: 2013[201]

He scored the winning goal in the final of Euro 2008 too. He did have a period of a couple of years where he was exceptional but the decline has been ridiculous in its nature.

Exactly this.

He was excellent at Athletico, he scored goals and lead the line like an absolute champ as a teenager.

I think you are being a bit harsh there.

I didn't say he wasn't good.

I said he wasn't THAT good, ie as good as his Liverpool form.

By all accounts it was a surprise just how good he performed at Liverpool.

Â