Fernando Torres

maqroll

The article was clearly suggesting that Torres might be burnt or burning out which sounds daft at his age but then when you think about it both Owen and Fowler were past their best by his age now due to injuries and being over played. Its ironic that all three played for Liverpool and in all 3 cases Liverpool depended upon them far too heavily and rushed them back from injuries time and time again in a way that the likes of Utd wouldn't have done.

Yeah, I think the comparison with Owen is very valid. And Fowler too, although Robbie had a bit of drink issue as well which didn't help matters.

I love the guy, unbelievable footballer when on form. He is one of my favourite footballers to watch in the league. I dont get why people are happy that he is not playing well?

I love it when anyone from any other club plays poorly....especially ones who ditch their previous club during a little rough patch.

This. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't play for Villa, so he's a word removed.

This. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't play for Villa, so he's a word removed.

No offence intended Mike and i usually respect your viewpoint as its usually well thought out and genuine, but what the feck are you on about?

How old are you again? :|

The view point you've desplayed got left when i left high school. Each to their own and all.

Just going by Wikipedia's stats:

Fernando Torres has played -

402 games at club level (249 for Atletico Madrid, 142 for Liverpool and 11 for Chelsea)

112 games at international level (82 full caps, 30 caps at youth level, U21, U18 etc)

514 games and he turned 27 less than a month ago.

Darren Bent is almost the same age as Torres (Bent is five weeks older) and he has played:

371 club games

32 at International level (9 full caps, 23 at youth level)

403 games in total.

Didier Drogba also celebrated his birthday in March, he turned 33 and is almost six years to the day older than Torres:

477 games at club level (300 of them for Chelsea!)

73 full international caps. He didnt make his international debut until he was 24, but I cant find any stats for his youth international appearances. I would assume there werent very many due to the structure of Ivorian football, but I might be mistaken.

550 games in total.

Good work Rev those look similar to those in the article.

So there is 36 games in it and an age difference of 6 years.

I should have probably stated as well the article in The Times not only gave game totals but also gave minutes played which is where the real contrast appeared.

I seem to recall the stats showing that Drogba have played far less full games than Torres and that the later had actually played more football.

Interesting stats there.

If you also factor in that he's had the pressure and burden of being the " main man " pretty much since his career began ( unlike drogba who was a late developer ) and has been rushed back from injuries time and time again, it's not unfeasible that it could be another Fowler/Owen scenario with him.

I'm not completely writing him off just yet but the start of next season after a full preseason will be the acid test IMO

I think Chelsea have taken one hell of a gamble.

Abramovich went over Mourinho's head when he wasted £30m on Shevchenko. He's done this again with Torres. Chelsea's plan of being self-sufficient after five years is never going to happen. I'm loving them and Citeh's struggles at the moment.

• 7 months later...

Doesn't look any better this season does he? I think Torres is never going to be the player he was. 35 games now for Chelsea, 5 goals. And he's mostly been shit. He's also got only 4 in 20 for Spain over the last two years.

Burnt out at 27? It's certainly a huge fall from grace from a guy who scored 72 goals in 116 games in his first three seasons at Liverpool.

He doesn't even look good anymore. He used to be lethal. I remember that horrible snowy game at VP where he did nothing for 90 minutes, then a late sniff at goal and he put it away. Now he takes far too long over everything and can't score.

He used to be lethal. I remember that horrible snowy game at VP where he did nothing for 90 minutes, then a late sniff at goal and he put it away.

Ugh. That game was painfully disappointing. Not quite as bad as that draw Stoke pulled back the season before, but still kinda hurts, even in memory.

I dislike Chelsea, but it's a real shame Torres has seemingly lost his touch so dramatically, he was one of the best out-and-out strikers I think I'd ever seen for those two or three seasons. I remember one finish in particular against Blackburn (I think?) that was just outrageous, like a half-volley on the bounce after chesting down a long ball, but across his body and over the keeper from an almost silly angle.

If he's fit, it's got to be mental....just a complete collapse of self belief....stunning, really, considering what he did at Liverpool. He looked like he was gonna go on to break all kinds of records.

He looked o.k for a bit this season and then got sent off against Swansea, since that he's been really really bad.

Just think he's lost a bit of desire aswell, very much like Angel was in his last 18 months with us.

Interesting point about the games played bit on the last page, anyone know how many games Gabby has played in his career, must be over 200 already?

Looked good in flashes this season. My belief is that Chelsea dont play to his stregnths, the slow build up doesnt suit him, he's an instinctive striker, the patient approach that Chelsea adopt doesnt suit him.

He'd already gone off the boil for Liverpool well before they sold him - and they built the team around him and his strengths.

Looked good in flashes this season. My belief is that Chelsea dont play to his stregnths, the slow build up doesnt suit him, he's an instinctive striker, the patient approach that Chelsea adopt doesnt suit him.

He'd already gone off the boil for Liverpool well before they sold him - and they built the team around him and his strengths.

He still scored 9 in 23 games before the January window! I think Liverpool handled him very poorly in terms of rushing him back from injuries. The second he was able to run, they put him in the team, i personally dont think he was ever 100% fit in his last 6 months at Liverpool.

Like you say, they built a team around him and look what he did...65 in 102 league games. As i say, Chelsea's tactics dont suit his style of play. Stick him in the Arsenal team where they play fast attacking football and he would score goals. Like when he was at Liverpool, Gerrard would pick the ball up on the half way line and he was immediatly looking for the run of Torres...8/9 times out of 10 he would find it and look what happened.

He plays on the shoulder of the last defender, Chelsea dont look to release players early, they tend to build up play slowly working their way towards the edge of the box. Instead of playing 2 or 3 passes and slipping the ball through, they're happy to keep possession for 2 or 3 minutes.

I find it sad to see Torres like this. He was the best striker in the world when at Liverpool IMO and someone i always loved to watch. Hopefully Hopefully he gets back to his best.

Same here. Between 2007 and 2010 he was the best striker on the planet.

Â