Fernando Torres

maqroll

Actually, looking at the table now, Liverpool are only 8 points off 4th place....with Torres in their side and scoring, they could easily be within a shot....

Actually, looking at the table now, Liverpool are only 8 points off 4th place....with Torres in their side and scoring, they could easily be within a shot....

with torres in their side they'd still be floating around in the bottom half of the table.

Smacks of Shevchenko. I'm not sure the manager was the one who made the decision on buying him. Afterall, any manager worth his salt would not be starting Torres in form that he is in at the moment, I think Anchelotti feels pressured into playing him. He doesn't seem to fit their system very well, they need a target man at the pinnacle of their attack for their system to be effective (ala Drogba!). It's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but something doesn't seem right about the whole Torres affair to me.

There are only 18 points left to play for. They would have to hope that both Spurs and Manchester City collapse spectacularly while going on a great run of form themselves. Yeah, they beat Man City on Monday but they lost to West Brom last week. Liverpool are Jekyll and Hyde at best at the moment.

Liverpool will finish 6th this season and play no European football at all next year. It wouldnt surprise me if Reina decides to leave in the summer too.

If Torres was in their side they probably wouldn't be where they are now. He's been terrible.

I actually think he was pretty loyal to them anyway. If Arsenal didn't finish Top 4 this year, would anyone begrudge some of their top players leaving for CL football?

Fabregas/ Van Persie/ etc playing in the Europa League? I can't see it.

It wouldnt surprise me if Reina decides to leave in the summer too.

I know a lot of Dippers fans who are convinced that this will happen, probably to Athletico Madrid,

*cough*Man Utd*cough*

*and i shall laugh my hairy bollocks off when it does! :lol:

It wouldnt surprise me if Reina decides to leave in the summer too.

I know a lot of Dippers fans who are convinced that this will happen, probably to Athletico Madrid,

Arsenal should make an offer in my opinion. Get a world class keeper (who has another ten seasons of football in him) at the club and they might have a team with a back four that trusts their keeper for the first time in five years.

It's all well Wenger wheeling out yet another goalie from the reserves and promising the fans that he will be great one day (It's Szczesny this year, despite his gaffe in the league cup final, and it wasnt that long ago that Wenger was telling everybody that Flappyhandski was going to be the next Gordon Banks) but why not just make a massive statement of intent and get somebody in who is going to improve the team instantly?

I know Arsenal wont because Wenger has these ridiculous principles of trying to win trophies with kids, but how many players from these league cup teams have broken through? Half of them are Lee Hendrie types who look amazing at 20 years of age but havent progressed at all by the time they are 23/24. If success is about finding the right blend of youth and experience then it's generally a good idea to have the experience running through the spine of your team and a great goalkeeper is very much part of that spine.

Arsenal should buy Reina. They are one of a very small number of clubs who need a goalkeeper and are in a position to sign him (Manchester United are another, but Liverpool dont sell players to Manchester United) so I think he might be quite keen to go. If Wenger has money to spend then he should spend it instead of missing out on the title again. You could argue they would be top this year with a decent goalkeeper in place.

/off topic.

didnt wilson say arsenal had offered big bucks for him last summer? if kroenke or whatever his name is wants to show he's serious they could make a huge bid for him

as for torres, never liked him personally, saw him a few times for AM and thought he was a whiney kid who spent half his time on the floor before smashing one in, i was actually pleasantly surprised by how much of that he seemingly cut out of his game at liverpool, i think he'll come good still, but then no doubt get injured, chelsea must have been crazy to spend the cash on him

Reina is a world class keeper, probably best in the Premiership for me.

Anyway with Torres, it is kinda funny, just so much money and such lack of impact. I do hope he comes good next year though, I bet it ain't nice on a personal level how bad he's been and having to play in front of the watching world as he fails every time, whatever money involved, I bet he feels pretty down.

He should come, shouldn't he?

He doesn't look properly fit to me, his acceleration used to be frightening but not he looks very very sluggish.

Exceptional player on his day but he hasn't been good for the best part of a year. I'll reserve judgement for now on wether he'll get back to his peak next season.

Reina is one of the best keepers around IMO.

Anyway, I kinda feel sorry for Torres. I hope Carroll fails miserably though!

There was an article in The Times at the start of the season talking about just how much football Torres had played for what is a relatively young age, I've no chance of finding the article now sadly but it was an interesting read. At the time it was illustrating how at that time Torres had played quite a lot more football than Drogba who is 5 or 6 years older than he is.

The article was clearly suggesting that Torres might be burnt or burning out which sounds daft at his age but then when you think about it both Owen and Fowler were past their best by his age now due to injuries and being over played. Its ironic that all three played for Liverpool and in all 3 cases Liverpool depended upon them far too heavily and rushed them back from injuries time and time again in a way that the likes of Utd wouldn't have done.

Everyone said Torres was out of form because he had a sulk on at Liverpool but since moving to Chelsea he hasn't looked any better, in fact he has looked worse.

I agree with those who say a summer off and a good pre-season will help him no end but there is a distinct possibility that at a relatively young age Torres has already passed his best.

There was an article in The Times at the start of the season talking about just how much football Torres had played for what is a relatively young age, I've no chance of finding the article now sadly but it was an interesting read. At the time it was illustrating how at that time Torres had played quite a lot more football than Drogba who is 5 or 6 years older than he is.

The article was clearly suggesting that Torres might be burnt or burning out which sounds daft at his age but then when you think about it both Owen and Fowler were past their best by his age now due to injuries and being over played. Its ironic that all three played for Liverpool and in all 3 cases Liverpool depended upon them far too heavily and rushed them back from injuries time and time again in a way that the likes of Utd wouldn't have done.

Everyone said Torres was out of form because he had a sulk on at Liverpool but since moving to Chelsea he hasn't looked any better, in fact he has looked worse.

I agree with those who say a summer off and a good pre-season will help him no end but there is a distinct possibility that at a relatively young age Torres has already passed his best.

I, i remember that.

Something like he had played the same amount of games when he was 24/25 than Drogba had at the age of 31?

Must not be fit, its painful to watch him running through clue each time he sets off to sprint.

If he is not careful he'll be as quick as Gareth Barry soon.

Just going by Wikipedia's stats:

Fernando Torres has played -

402 games at club level (249 for Atletico Madrid, 142 for Liverpool and 11 for Chelsea)

112 games at international level (82 full caps, 30 caps at youth level, U21, U18 etc)

514 games and he turned 27 less than a month ago.

Darren Bent is almost the same age as Torres (Bent is five weeks older) and he has played:

371 club games

32 at International level (9 full caps, 23 at youth level)

403 games in total.

Didier Drogba also celebrated his birthday in March, he turned 33 and is almost six years to the day older than Torres:

477 games at club level (300 of them for Chelsea!)

73 full international caps. He didnt make his international debut until he was 24, but I cant find any stats for his youth international appearances. I would assume there werent very many due to the structure of Ivorian football, but I might be mistaken.

550 games in total.

Â