World Cup 2014 - Brazil

Tayls

Hi all,

Me and my buddy had a man night last night and we have agreed that we will definitely be going to the Brazilian world cup. He went to the world cup last year and I didnt, mainly because of my fear of going to Africa - I know a couple of people who have been and said it's the most amazing place which I'm sure it is if you travel around sensibly. I'm still a little bit of a girl though and do have some concerns about going to Brazil. Is anyone else going or has anyone been to Brazil before?! Can you share your experiences etc? Although we will be going to watch some football we do intend to 'travel' around the country, seeing the Amazon and as many cities as possible. Anybody got anything?

are you still going?

are there any deals inlcuding holiday + match tickets?

USA should qualify, so I think I'll be going. It will be amazing, as long as they get their act together and complete the stadiums and required infrastructure on time. I have a couple of Brazilian friends who live down there now, so I'll be able to flop for free.

Felicidade!

Hi all,

Me and my buddy had a man night last night and we have agreed that we will definitely be going to the Brazilian world cup. He went to the world cup last year and I didnt, mainly because of my fear of going to Africa - I know a couple of people who have been and said it's the most amazing place which I'm sure it is if you travel around sensibly. I'm still a little bit of a girl though and do have some concerns about going to Brazil. Is anyone else going or has anyone been to Brazil before?! Can you share your experiences etc? Although we will be going to watch some football we do intend to 'travel' around the country, seeing the Amazon and as many cities as possible. Anybody got anything?

are you still going?

I plan to, but not really considered looking at details as yet. Might start in a month or so. You looking to go too? Tonyh29 probs knows a thing or two about heading over there etc. Edited by Tayls

Maqroll, do you reside in the USA? How much roughly would a flight to Rio be? Because it is not that far, well compared to the UK anyway.

Yes, I live in Massachusetts. Because it'll be winter in Brazil for the WC, airfare will be lower. Still, I'd expect to pay at least $800 RT.

Maqroll, do you reside in the USA? How much roughly would a flight to Rio be? Because it is not that far, well compared to the UK anyway.

Yes, I live in Massachusetts. Because it'll be winter in Brazil for the WC, airfare will be lower. Still, I'd expect to pay at least $800 RT.

Well in northern Brazil it is summer. That is still a bit more then I thought. I would like to go to Brazil for the world cup, but with flights, hotels, travel when you get there, ticket prices etc etc I think you would need at least £3, 000. Money I don't currently have.

Well in northern Brazil it is summer. That is still a bit more then I thought. I would like to go to Brazil for the world cup, but with flights, hotels, travel when you get there, ticket prices etc etc I think you would need at least £3, 000. Money I don't currently have.

True, but most of the host cities will be in the southern 3rd of the country. And because it'll be summer for Europe and North America, airfare to the southern hemisphere always drops. Start saving!

Edited by maqroll

hard to plan for this until they announce where the teams will be staying / playing isn't it ?

Or even if England qualify!  :P

Anyhow, flights from Boston typically only go to Rio or Sao Paulo, I imagine it's the same from the UK.

Hi all,

are you still going?

I plan to, but not really considered looking at details as yet. Might start in a month or so. You looking to go too? Tonyh29 probs knows a thing or two about heading over there etc.
Yh I'm defo goin gonna try and get it booked and paid off ASAP

Dads mate spose to be buying house over there so if he does I have free accommodation

Want to go to at least 1 match

Thomson have packages 13 nights + 3 England group games for £4,500

Edited by dakid007

True, but most of the host cities will be in the southern 3rd of the country. And because it'll be summer for Europe and North America, airfare to the southern hemisphere always drops. Start saving!

But surely with the world cup being on the prices to Brazil will be hiked back up again.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah airlines will hike the prices. e.g i was looking for flights to stockholm when ireland play there and usually 40 euros e/w and was 470 euros back before Christmas.

this is for a qualifier so can imagine price jump for world cup think airlines did similar for Euros

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Brazil in 2011,

Started in Rio for 5 days and then travelled round a bit. Went to Florianopolis (definitely worth the visit if you have the time). Then to Chapeco, nothing to do there lol Went all the way down to Porto Alegre but again not much to do. Although i did get interviewed for a Gremio radio station the local football team which was cool. Then headed of to iguacu - well worth the trip i reckon. Finally up and around Belo Horizonte but if youre not into cultural stuff (Im not tbh) then again possibly an avoidable place.

Rio itself though is ok if you dont go off the beaten track. I stayed around my hotel most of the time and tried to look as little as a tourist as possible. I think its getting much much safer. Im also planning on trying to get to the World Cup but moneys gonna be the thing that stops me

Edited by BennettVilla

• 3 weeks later...

My uncle went to sau paulo the other week along with 4 other representatives of jcb, they were over their to speak with a company jcb was hoping to land a contract with which in the end was succesful, anyway they were put up in a swanky hotel and everything seemed fine until the 2nd night, my uncle was getting ready to go and see a concert and had a knock on his hotel door, he answered it and standing their was some mad man with a machete, he went to attack my uncle and after a breif struggle my uncle managed to trap this lunatics arm in the door and proceded to slam the door on his arm until the man gave up and made a run for it, my uncle who was badly shaken phoned reception and told them what had happend and to his surprise reception did not seem alarmed or shocked and casualy sent someone up to see what had gone on, apparantly this happens all the time and tourists and holiday makers are targeted a lot by the crazy locals, I'm sure its not always like that but just a word of warning, my uncle could not rest or settle for the rest of his stay especially at night when he was in bed, crazy!!

My uncle went to sau paulo the other week along with 4 other representatives of jcb, they were over their to speak with a company jcb was hoping to land a contract with which in the end was succesful, anyway they were put up in a swanky hotel and everything seemed fine until the 2nd night, my uncle was getting ready to go and see a concert and had a knock on his hotel door, he answered it and standing their was some mad man with a machete, he went to attack my uncle and after a breif struggle my uncle managed to trap this lunatics arm in the door and proceded to slam the door on his arm until the man gave up and made a run for it, my uncle who was badly shaken phoned reception and told them what had happend and to his surprise reception did not seem alarmed or shocked and casualy sent someone up to see what had gone on, apparantly this happens all the time and tourists and holiday makers are targeted a lot by the crazy locals, I'm sure its not always like that but just a word of warning, my uncle could not rest or settle for the rest of his stay especially at night when he was in bed, crazy!!

I've been to SP several times and this isn't a common occurrence, and any decent hotel (I suspect that this was), would be alarmed. Security levels on SP hotels are pretty damn high, especially the good ones.

But the moral of this story is never open your hotel room door to any uninvited visitor, always call down to reception to check, wherever you are in the world.

Went to Brazil in 2011,

Started in Rio for 5 days and then travelled round a bit. Went to Florianopolis (definitely worth the visit if you have the time). Then to Chapeco, nothing to do there lol Went all the way down to Porto Alegre but again not much to do. Although i did get interviewed for a Gremio radio station the local football team which was cool. Then headed of to iguacu - well worth the trip i reckon. Finally up and around Belo Horizonte but if youre not into cultural stuff (Im not tbh) then again possibly an avoidable place.

Rio itself though is ok if you dont go off the beaten track. I stayed around my hotel most of the time and tried to look as little as a tourist as possible. I think its getting much much safer. Im also planning on trying to get to the World Cup but moneys gonna be the thing that stops me

Floripa is beautiful, but a bit off the beaten track for a European visitor-plenty of better beach towns in other parts of the world. I always think that it is a bit like a Brazilian Santa Monica.

Chapeco is a pretty much one horse town - you really must have had a reason to be there (like me). I've had a few laughs in the bar at the Bertaso though!

I was in Porto Alegre once, but don't really remember it. I was in Iguassu January, but no time to take the helicopter flight over the falls :(

Rio I have never been to in all the years that I have been going to Brazil. I need to become a tourist some time :)

• 10 months later...

Anyone planning a trip out here?

Booked my flights and got myself a quarter final ticket in rio. That's it so far.

Wow, how much did it cost u? Pm if don't wanna share on here

Flights were about £1200 got a good deal cause thats premium economy direct to rio. The quarter final ticket was free from a brazilian supplier of mine that they were given by the brazilian export office. That includes Hotel for 2 nights in rio so should be good! Also got CRO v MEX + ITA v CRC + GER v GHA and there all in the north within a few days of each other so im being told there is some nice beach resorts up there which im saving for. Ive budgeted £10k for the whole trip and saved a fair bit up till now

We've started to book up all our bits and bobs for it now.

Tickets we've got are eng vs uruguay & eng vs costa Rica + next game if they qualifiy but we also have belgium vs russia & france vs equador

We fly to Rio and then straight onto SP, then after the england game we are off up to the Itataiai National Park for a couple of days before travelling back to rio for the beligum vs russia game.  After the beligum game we are flying up to Belo Hoizonte for a few nights before heading back to Rio for the France game.  We are then hanging round rio for a few days hoping england come 2nd so we can see that game their before finishing off at Paraty for a bit of a beech holiday

• Like 1

Â