Crysis 2

Chindie

Got to admit, im enjoying it more than i thought i would as its so refreshing to play an intelligent shooter rather than the corridor shooters that plague the market.

Ive got it on ps3 and while im impressed that they have got it running in a playable state im still left disappointed slightly by the graphics, at times it looks amazing but then at others it just looks so 'meh', some of the textures are jarringly low res. While some of the effects - water, lighting, particles floating around etc are stunning, shame its such a mixed bag.

Gameplay always comes first and luckily, its a great game, but when the main selling point and focus of all the hype is its graphics, you cant help but nitpick.

The PS3 version is very much the red headed stepchild in all of this though. Sony still have the problem that almost everybody who makes games in the west grew up coding for PC and that the 360 is basically a dx9 PC. Its easy to get the best out of the Xbox despite the PS3 having more raw power. I don't think there is any debate that the best looking PS3 games are prettier than the best looking 360 games, but multi format stuff usually looks better on the Microsoft machine.

Got to agree, killzone 2/3 and uncharted 2 are better looking, but even on ps3 crysis 2 is no slouch, just not as good as promised. I think the frame rate is another thing the 360 version exceeds at aswell. Still, quality game regardless of which platform you get it on but yeah, its clear that each version is different.

The best thing about crysis is the way the difficult ramps up, I started off thinking "wtf? This is veteran?" just johnny ramboing most of it, but then you start getting more and more situations where you have no choice but to stealth and work more tactically. I'm at the point know where I genuinely fear when my energy is running out and there's a big **** alien guy breathing down my neck ready to spot me the second I unstealth. It's like I'm in a constant quest to find cover and anything but a perfect kill will bring a legion of aliens down on you.

Being able to return to missions after the game is done, with all the attachments and augments you opened on your main playthrough is a great feature.

Makes the early levels a helluva lot more fun than they were even the first time.

I'm now going achievement hunting.

I found the graphic detail hindered the game play. When you play Crysis for a few hours and then go back to COD... you will kinda get what i mean. Not saying Crysis is a bad game, it looks extremely nice but is so jerky. COD is so much smoother, and as a pure multiiplayer gamer this is a major blow for Crysis.

Playing Crysis on Xbox feels like playing CS on a shite PC. But then COD feels like playing CS on a new and better PC.

But i guess the problem with todays market is that everygame gets compared with COD. Though... it's been quite a long time since a game has come out to compare it too so in that chain of thought, i'm glad it was released.

Having had another crack at the multi, it improves immeasurably with mates playing. The really frantic death/kill rate and odd random deaths become less galling and more outright funny.

Oh man, it really did hint at being a bit of a let down (in comparison to Crysis graphics) when people were discussing frame rate differences on various machines a month before its release.

Is the AI as dumb as people are making our or does it improve throughout the game?

Hopefully it will come down hugely in price and I can grab a bargain in the next few weeks....kinda glad it wasn't absolutely incredible, I want to lose my life and finances to Duke or Portal 2 :)

The frame rate isn't that big of a deal. A good PC runs it better than either of the consoles with regards frame rate and graphical quality but my experience with the 360 version is that while the frame rate isn't CoD style smooth as a babys arse (exceptionally few games are tbf), it rarely drops to the point it genuinely affects your ability to play, and it stays fairly stable throughout the game, I only noticed a couple of moments where it dropped a little. If you're used to COD, you'll notice it but you'll get used to it quick enough.

The AI bizarrely switches between a bit dumb and decent. A number of times I've seen it get stuck in areas or run around in circles so to speak but a few other times they've been quite good at seeking me out whilst cloaked and also searching for cover. It's the not the best AI on earth, nor is the worst imo.

I'm playing the single player at the moment and was really enjoying it until I had to start fighting the Seph more. I preferred when it was just the CELL soldiers.

Don't know how far through i'am, but i've just been washed up by a flood and i'm now working with old squad members from the start of the campaign on the sub.

The Ceph are definitely less fun to fight than the CELL soldiers. The inescapble feeling I had with them was they were there just to absorb bullets - they appear to take slightly too many hits to die, even the bottom rank of them just keeps taking bullets unless you nail the vulnerable areas they have. And then the game takes away that vulnerability and you're left just emptying magazines into them. You can get round that by sticking to stealth kills but towards the end it becomes less viable to stealth an entire group.

This does have the offshoot of forcing you to think a lot more about the later encounters to be fair however.

PC - it's the best iteration of it for sure. Best graphics, no doubt high res textures out sooner or later, best frame rate. It's been designed to be more playable on more systems so if you could handle Crysis, you'll handle the sequel easy enough. It runs fairly well on even middle of the road computers now.

The PS3 version is the runt of the litter, only coming up well in some of the effects. Still a great looking game, but the 360 and PC versions are greater.

Although.......ive just played the bit on the bridge at night time (just before you blow the metalife building up before the central station bit) where its all kicking off with tracers and alien artillery shells lighting up the surroundings and it looks stunning! I actually stopped to watch the two sides bomb and shoot shit out of each other. PS3 btw.

Few posts back i said i wasnt that convinced by the graphics but when its at night it looks amazing.

I'm right at the end of the single player now, but i don't know whether i can be bothered to finish it off, it's all got a bit boring now. Some of theceph you fight towards the end are like bullet sponges and take ages to take down, and i'm not talking about the heavies either, just the normal ones.

I've come across lots of AI bugs aswell, soldiers moon walking, getting stuck on things etc.

Killzone 3 is better than this for me.

Â