James Collins

AngelGabriel

9 hours ago, BOF said:

My abiding memory of Collins' first stint here was his enthusiasm to over-commit and rush out to meet the attacker in no man's land, leaving the space behind him exposed and prone to either the killer pass or space to run into if he's beaten in the resulting one on one.  He probably won't do as much of that this time around both because he's older and hopefully because he has learned not to.

Its also a shitter league than Premier League so you can get away with some of them errors down here

16 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'm pretty sure Bruce thought that French center back was in the bag. Sending Elphick on loan with only 1 center back (Bruce saw Axel as a right back) was absolutely insane. 

Having Collins as an option is a lot better imo than forcing Hutton or Bree at center back. 

Well Bruce mentioned in an interview around February time that Jedinaks future was as centre back due to his ageing legs, so in his crazy mind he had Jedinak and Chester as the main two, and a few who could cover CB if need be (Tuanzebe, Bree, Hutton). Think thats why we saw them all being tried out in a makeshift 3 at the back during preseason every game. 

• Like 1

Would rather see DS bringing through one of the younger CBs which he might well do looking at the Boro squad so I’m a bit confused on the JC signing especially the way Villa are now playing out from the back.

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Would rather see DS bringing through one of the younger CBs which he might well do looking at the Boro squad so I’m a bit confused on the JC signing especially the way Villa are now playing out from the back.

I assume we have somebody lined up for January so just a stop gap experienced pro especially with a lot of games this month

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, striker said:

This is a 5 week deal, that tells you something!

On 20/09/2018 at 18:01, Demitri_C said:

Probably worth its own thread now. Apaprently on trail for two weeks being widely reported.

Collins was decent for us at premier league level. 35 though. Could be a good stop gap until janaury.

Makes me wonder why we didn't keep samba though as he was 32 and wasn't too bad.

penny for my thoughts too.

4 hours ago, Junxs said:

Well Bruce mentioned in an interview around February time that Jedinaks future was as centre back due to his ageing legs, so in his crazy mind he had Jedinak and Chester as the main two, and a few who could cover CB if need be (Tuanzebe, Bree, Hutton). Think thats why we saw them all being tried out in a makeshift 3 at the back during preseason every game. 

I really don't get this notion, that centre backs don't have to have legs, If that's what SB was saying.

• Balls over the top have to be recovered, pace is key
  • In order to be compact as a rectangle shape, when the forwards break the defence should come with them to keep our shape and deny space, if the opposition turn the ball over and counter....that requires centre backs with pace.

Its not a position we can put players out to graze....I accept experience is key, but I think pace is important too....there are exceptions as always, but if you can read the game like Macca, pace might not be quite as important.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, villarocker said:

That's folicilist! 

Grab the pitchforks my bald brothers and all round to villalad21's house....

On Collins, if he's trained well enough then a free way to get some cover in before Jan is a no brainer. He's neve been a world beater and he's at the end of his career but for a while he gave us some good service. With the first choice pair we lack something in the air, which is a strength of his, possibly something Tuanzebe will improve on, but as for right now that's something he can help us with. Not sure how much he'll play but at least we can name a CB on the bench now, which might make our selections look less suicidally attacking ;)

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I really don't get this notion, that centre backs don't have to have legs, If thats what SB was saying.

• In order to be compact as a rectangle, when the forwards break the defence should come with them to keep our shape and deny space, if the opposition turn the ball over and counter....that requires centre backs with pace.

Its not a position we can put players out to graze....I accept experience is key, but I think pace is important too....there are exceptions as always, but if you can read the game like Macca, pace might not be quite as important.

Yeah, I agree.. but remember we were very defensively set up under Bruce where the defensive line wasn't very high - that nullified the balls over the top.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I really don't get this notion, that centre backs don't have to have legs, If that's what SB was saying.

• In order to be compact as a rectangle shape, when the forwards break the defence should come with them to keep our shape and deny space, if the opposition turn the ball over and counter....that requires centre backs with pace.

Play a high line with slow CBs and you're asking for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Junxs said:

Yeah, I agree.. but remember we were very defensively set up under Bruce where the defensive line wasn't very high - that nullified the balls over the top.

Totally stand on the 18 yard line with the midfield 5 yards in front and you don't need pace ;)

• Haha 1

I'm guessing Collins should now be fit enough to come straight into the team / matchday squad as he's been training for a while with us. Wouldn't make sense to give him a contract otherwise, especially if its only 5 weeks.

Might see him straight into the team today to give Chester the rest he needs as its obvious he's playing through the injury barrier. 

• Like 1

Very shrewd deal, Collins will be goin out to prove himself every game, showing that he’s still good enough for this league. If he performs well I’ve no doubt we’ll extend the deal till the end of the season. If he doesn’t we don’t. 

• Like 1

Â