James Collins

AngelGabriel

• 2 weeks later...

He was our second best player on Saturaday. He won everything. His distribution was pretty poor, but if he defends well I dont really care. He's better and more consistent than Dunne anyway, who struggled with Zamora.

He is a big bloke, and I do think he's good in the air. I doubt he's really young enough to change his playing style, but if only he could play a bit more like the great Martin Laursen (sigh...).

Still, as others have said, he was very good when he first joined, then seemed to go off the boil under GH. Maybe an ex central defender like Alec McLeish will be able to get the best out of him. I do believe that at his best he's an excellent player.

Similar to Given our James is. I know a West Ham fan who said this to me the day we signed him.

"When he plays, he's a warrior, you'll love him - problem is - he won't play that often !"

and he was right wasn't he.

He is a big bloke, and I do think he's good in the air. I doubt he's really young enough to change his playing style, but if only he could play a bit more like the great Martin Laursen (sigh...).

Still, as others have said, he was very good when he first joined, then seemed to go off the boil under GH. Maybe an ex central defender like Alec McLeish will be able to get the best out of him. I do believe that at his best he's an excellent player.

To be fair to Collins ALL the defenders went off the boil under Houllier. That's what led to the barney at the team day, they were unhappy with the defensive training, and you could see why, while other area of Villas game improved, the defending didn't really. The fact McAllister said they wouldn't improve the the defence till the summer angered me.

A good player with some problems with timing and ball distribution. And injuries here and there, never consistency.

Which unfortunately, makes him a mediocre player all in all. He can win all the headers and tackles in a game, before

rushing in like a madman creating a dangerous free-kick for the other team outside the box.

I thought Collins was tremendous when he first arrived, he seemed to win everything in the air, especially vs. City at Villa Park, it was like his head was a magnet or something. Definitely went off the boil during Houllier's reign as previously mentioned, but who didn't? Very much needs the discipline I'm sure McLeish is going to instill in the team.

I think he is an asset and although potentially not "best" suited to be along side Dunne (and vice versa), they can make it work as proven by the season before last.

He's definitely very passionate as well, he always seems to crop up during goal celebrations with a stupid grin on his face.

To be fair to Collins ALL the defenders went off the boil under Houllier. That's what led to the barney at the team day, they were unhappy with the defensive training, and you could see why, while other area of Villas game improved, the defending didn't really. The fact McAllister said they wouldn't improve the the defence till the summer angered me.

Kindof agree, but I can't help thinking that professional players probably have a tendency to think of training as very much secondary to their natural abilities. So I'm not convinced that the barney was about training, but who knows for sure. What is certain is that we were useless defending set pieces last season, when we'd been solid the season before, for whatever reason. I remember every corner being heart-in-mouth time last season. If Big Eck can sort that out it'll be half his job done.

Similar to Given our James is. I know a West Ham fan who said this to me the day we signed him.

"When he plays, he's a warrior, you'll love him - problem is - he won't play that often !"

and he was right wasn't he.

Not really, he played 30 games for us in his first season and 25 last season so he hasn't been as injury prone as at West Ham.

Has his uses in games where teams use the high ball but gets dragged out of position too often for me.

He was our second best player on Saturaday. He won everything. His distribution was pretty poor, but if he defends well I dont really care. He's better and more consistent than Dunne anyway, who struggled with Zamora.

Aye.

he got RBD out of Jail a few times on saturday.

Played really well, got stuck in well, kept the defensive shape and led by example.

If we keep him fit and get him a decent CH partner (Clark) we'll be fine this season at the back ...

When he plays, he's a warrior, you'll love him - problem is - he won't play that often !"

and he was right wasn't he

no he has played many games and been a liability in many of them. Dont love him, wouldnt question his commitment he is just not talented

Got the physical attributes needed and can't fault his commitment. However, he lacks positional discipline and comes charging out for balls he can't win far too often, both in the air and on the ground.

Got to be a nightmare to play beside.

Â