Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some cracking managers out there and Houllier will easily be replaced with better. Moyes and Coyle would come to Villa I've no doubts. Coyle does have an allegiance to Bolton but he knows as well as he has done this season is about as good as he can ever do there and he'd jump at the chance of a move to us. One things for sure if we don't take him someone else will. Moyes will be looking for a new challenge and I see no reason why that shouldn't be with us. Then there is the likes of Lambert and Grayson up and coming hungry young managers who look to have something special about them.

We are very fortunate in that the squad contains a lot of ability and there will be plenty of managers looking in form the outside with envy thinking I'd love to work with that squad. This club is a massive opportunity for the right manager to do something really special and plenty of managers would love to work at such a big club, with the basis of an excellent squad, under a great chairman with such passionate supporters. The fact Houllier as **** up such a good opportunity is unbelievable but I'm hopeful we'll get it right this time and given the choices I'm confident we will.

MON doesn't suit Spurs one bit. Attacking football (even if it still comes down to Hoof to Crouch - its still much more attacking and free flowing - though they could benefit from a tighter defence.) They are tight with wages and all the control goes to the Board, not the manager.

I think, realistically Moyes will only go to one of four Clubs IF/when he leaves Everton.

Celtic

Villa

Spurs

Bolton (if they lose Coyle).

Could've maybe been a shout for Newcastle but would be in very much the same situation as he is at Everton but very little of the job security that he has at Everton.

Spurs, is most likely if he can take not having any money till the end of the Euro's, when no doubt Harry becomes England Manager.

I'm torn between us and Celtic for second as (I dont follow Scottish Football one bit) but aren't Celtic doing rather well at the moment, unless their manager is a bastard (likely) I can't see them changing manager)

Then Us, we are similar squads maybe a Sideways Step for him, maybe a bit of an upward step in terms of the fact we'd give him more money.

Bolton, think he would suit the club, definitely a sideways step but again maybe a bit more money - but the squad isnt as good imo, Coyle done a great job with his Clangers - but would need to fit in straight away and then go about upgrading the squad.

Many Everton fans are saying he is Manchester bound but can't see it until he has won something, he's been very up and down in the league and cant see either Manchester side taking a punt on him for a while yet.

Laudrup would be good but dont think he would come. Often has talks break down with bigger clubs (which I can only presume is to do with money). He was 1st choice for Athletic Madrid before Flores but talks broke down and h instead took over of Mallorca. And is very much a Journeyman in management, only seems to sign 1 or 2 year deals and tries to get clauses put in whereby he can leave if a Spanish Club come in for him.

lexi just said laudrups record so no thanks, another houllier..

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion.

Laudrup is closer to the start of his managerial career. It wouldn't surprise me if this is GH's last gig in football management. He was virtually semi retired when we hired him.

Not sure of those stats either, for one thing: I'm pretty certain Laudrup (who has been with Mallorca since the start of the season) has managed them for more than 5 games.

Also: Even if that win ratio was close to accurate for Getafe, that's pretty good for a team that is one of the minnows of Spanish football - particularly back then.

I can only trust the judgement of my own eyes but when I was in Barcelona in 2008 I wanted to take in a match and watched the Barca/ Getafe match. Thought it would be a nice, easy fixture - and plenty of goals. Henry, Messi and all the rest of it in the Barca line up. Yet Getafe were the better side in a 0-0 draw. Was a decent contest too, it's not as if Getafe killed the game and set up for a point.

And as Jonsop mentions, he got Getafe to the UEFA QF's that year. So combined with his earlier trophy laden sting at Brondby - and the fact that he's still only 46- I wouldn't be against the idea. FWIW I think we'll go for a British manager next time though. Hughes or Moyes would be my bet.

MON doesn't suit Spurs one bit. Attacking football (even if it still comes down to Hoof to Crouch - its still much more attacking and free flowing - though they could benefit from a tighter defence.) They are tight with wages and all the control goes to the Board, not the manager.

I think, realistically Moyes will only go to one of four Clubs IF/when he leaves Everton.

Celtic

Villa

Spurs

Bolton (if they lose Coyle).

Could've maybe been a shout for Newcastle but would be in very much the same situation as he is at Everton but very little of the job security that he has at Everton.

Spurs, is most likely if he can take not having any money till the end of the Euro's, when no doubt Harry becomes England Manager.

I'm torn between us and Celtic for second as (I dont follow Scottish Football one bit) but aren't Celtic doing rather well at the moment, unless their manager is a bastard (likely) I can't see them changing manager)

Then Us, we are similar squads maybe a Sideways Step for him, maybe a bit of an upward step in terms of the fact we'd give him more money.

Bolton, think he would suit the club, definitely a sideways step but again maybe a bit more money - but the squad isnt as good imo, Coyle done a great job with his Clangers - but would need to fit in straight away and then go about upgrading the squad.

Many Everton fans are saying he is Manchester bound but can't see it until he has won something, he's been very up and down in the league and cant see either Manchester side taking a punt on him for a while yet.

Couldn't see MON at Spurzzz either. What a comedown that would be for them.

Think the next gig he gets in football will be somewhere like QPR if they come up - say if Warnock has a 'mare in the first half of the season and they bring him in around Christmas. Would suit him down to the ground, he could make out his side were underdogs whilst lavishing millions in transfer fees and wages.

Don't think any of the top clubs will go anywhere near him.

Moyes might well consider his future, but I'll be absolutely amazed if Bolton form any part of that future. I'd say that's pretty harsh on Everton too, suggesting a move from them to Bolton would be a sideways step.

I think it's a risk taking anyone from outside the Premiership, unless is Jose Mourinho!! I'd prefer us to go for a well established manager who is already plying his trade there. That means Hughes, Moyes, Coyle. I'd only go for a foreigner if we absolutely cannot get one of those.

K Mac till end of season and then we have all summer to go out and get a top manager. Moyes or Coyle please.

we might as well consider ourselves relegated if we get k mac, the guy was absolutely out of his depth. some really poor performances under him, and very inexperienced. even thoguh houlliers a flop, at least he is experienced and hopefully can steer us clear and then do the rignt thing and resign in the summer

like i said, offer Fat Sam 2 or 3 million to get us to safety, i think he'd be more than willing to take the challange on. If we stay up then look to bring in the right man during the summer. I'd like to see us go for someone like Lambert myself.

like i said, offer Fat Sam 2 or 3 million to get us to safety, i think he'd be more than willing to take the challange on. If we stay up then look to bring in the right man during the summer. I'd like to see us go for someone like Lambert myself.

as was said many times no manager would ever take that job unless was desperate like Iain Dowie

I like to hear of one instance where a manager with as big a profile as Big Sam has taken a job on that basis. It has never happened, it won't ever happen. Regardless of the money (which I don't imagine he's short of) it would be seen as an insult, and rightly so.

It would have worked if we did it as soon as he got sacked from Blackburn, managers often sign a 'till the end of the season' contract, Hodgson, Kean (before he was offered perm), Dalglish and I think somebody else? Maybe Pardew? have all done it this year.

But anyway, if we were sacking Houllier before the end of th season, we'd have done it by now.

It would have worked if we did it as soon as he got sacked from Blackburn, managers often sign a 'till the end of the season' contract, Hodgson, Kean (before he was offered perm), Dalglish and I think somebody else? Maybe Pardew? have all done it this year.

But anyway, if we were sacking Houllier before the end of th season, we'd have done it by now.

Wait till we've been beaten by Everton.

Wait till we've been beaten by Everton.

And if we beat Everton?