Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The appointment of MON was pretty exceptional - I can only recall the appointment of Graham Taylor almost 20 years earlier creating such a buzz. But blokes likes Little, Gregory came in pretty low key and did not to badly........anyway I reckon GH is staying so we can put this on hold......until around November !

Everton might be paupers compared to Chelsea's princes but David Moyes would not swap places with Carlo Ancelotti.

He would not mind the unlimited money he has burning a hole in his back pocket during every transfer window but Moyes has the one thing Ancelotti does not: stability.

He insists that having a board who can back you is a huge weight lifted from his shoulders.

The Chelsea boss is expected to get the axe from Roman Ambramovich next week for failing to deliver Premier League and Champions League glory.

And although Everton are skint in comparison to the Londoners, Moyes is counting his blessings at the environment in which he is allowed to operate.

He said: "Mountains of cash and instability are not something I have had in my managerial career.

"Everton is the opposite. It is really well run. We don't have bundles of cash we try and make the best of what we have, but we have got stability.

"The situation I am in at the moment is a good one.

"I have a really good chairman and I am at a really good club. I can control the club to an extent and, though I don't like quoting him all the time, it is one of sir Alex's comments that a manager has to be allowed to control a club and in the main I do.

"I don't have the funds but we have tried to keep a stable club."

Moyes has once again been linked to the Aston Villa hotseat because Gerard Houllier's heart scare means his time as boss at Villa Park could soon be up.

But Moyes ruled himself out and reckons it is wrong to discuss leaving Goodison Park while Houllier is unwell.

He added: "I know nothing about it and they have a really good manager in place who unfortunately is ill at the moment.

"The last thing he needs to hear is someone talking about his job but I'm not interested in it, so that answers it."

The Mirror

I think it is pretty safe to say that David Moyes will not be our manager next season, unless he makes a complete U-turn on his last quote "The last thing he needs to hear is someone talking about his job but I'm not interested in it, so that answers it." Stranger things have happened but Moyes seems a man who is very true to his word, and I would be very surprised now if come August he is the man taking our club forward. We shall see.

So its Hughes now as the favourite then, with Rafa close behind. But, please, please for the love of god........NOT MCCLAREN!!! I know he won't have any problems adobting the brummie accent because he seems to pick up dialect wherever he is; but come on...do we really want to go dutch with this newly adopted german pronunciation umbrella'd man!!! NO!!

Ha well I don't care how he sounds, I just think he's a bit of a rubbish manager. Well, not rubbish but not the kind of person I'd be happy to see manage our club. There are better candidates in my opinion, bit of a shame for Moyes to rule himself out of the running though. Now if McClaren could kindly follow suit, I'd sleep easier.

If GH was to retire then maybe Moyes would have a different opinion, he is from the old school and like he said GH is unwell he does not want to hear other Managers saying "i want your job"

It should not be GH purely based on his health. This season has been the worst I can remember and it's because of the complete instability in the management of our club and under GH we will always have this hanging over us.

RL needs to cut his losses and let GH go regardless of his medical recommendation.

Just seems odd that on one hand we have the General saying that the club will not let the events of this season happen again and then on the other we read that not only is the manager likely to remain but also that GMAC believes that we only need 2 or 3 players to compete next season.

So is it the management team or the players fault because at the minute there is a clear message that it is neither.

Let's hope that this is just being used to deflect attention away from GH, A. Young and the rest of the squad before the end of the season tomorrow.

GH OUT - Nice guy I'm sure, but too much of a risk given the season we've had.

Surprised that Klinsmann hasn't been suggested. While I'm keen to keep Houlier and allow him a full pre-season (if his health is up to it), I'd be excited by Klinsmann. I think he would build on the 'footballing philosophy' that Houlier is trying to instil and would no doubt attract some big names. Bit left-field but you never know.

I would be 100% happy with Houllier having another season IF he was 100% physically up to it - but the fact that he can't even come to watch the game from the stands tomorrow in what is effectively a nothing game, suggests he isn't up to it. Moyes appears to have ruled himself out, so I would be happy with either McClaren, Hughes, Benitez or Lambert.

Moyes has predictably drifted like the Kon Tiki to 4/1 with Skybet. Interestingly Mark Hughes is now odds on with both Skybet and Chandler. Now both firms were going around 7/1 about a week ago and I would say Hughes has been lined up.

If GH was to retire then maybe Moyes would have a different opinion, he is from the old school and like he said GH is unwell he does not want to hear other Managers saying "i want your job"

This is how I read it. Moyes has not ruled himself out of the Villa manager's job at all, just ruled it out while Houllier is still there. Which is a very respectable and professional statement. We can also deliver the same stability to a successful manager as Everton. Watch this space...