Tips on making offers on a house

Genie

a lot of the strategies depends upon the area you are buying in, how desirable the house is, and how much you really want the house.

i bought my house a few months ago, it went on the market on friday, i viewed it on monday (for 5 mins), offered just below asking price on monday evening, rejected straight away, offered asking price straight away conditional on them not letting anyone else view it. They rejected that saying that they were going to see the people already booked to view it. Tues evening they rang & accepted my offer.

my sister-in-law is currently trying to buy a house - twice she has offered asking price on different houses and has lost out because someone offered more.

last week she offered asking price on another house, and was told if they offered 5% above the asking price, then they would take it off the market. She did so, and offer is now accepted.

• 4 months later...

Bump! Just starting to look at houses...first time buyer. Think we're at an advantage as we don't have to sell to buy and can close quickly as mortgage is already in place plus 25% deposit. The problem I'm finding is that whatever your budget is, you're always sacrificing something and always want a bit more house or a bit better location. Any tips for a first time buyer?? Thanks!

depends on the area, a nice house in a nice area will still be snapped up at asking price.

an average house in a nice area, you can go 10% lower.

a crap house in a crap area, you can go 25% lower.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips guys. We've found one that we like and want to make an offer, but there is a problem. Before they will communicate the offer to the owner the estate agent wants us to come to their office and provide them with: ID, Bank info to prove we are in work and our earnings, an official letter from mortgage lender with approval AND bank details showing that we have the deposit money in our account. All of this before being "allowed" to make our offer.

Is this standard or is the estate agent taking the Michael? I've already provided them with a letter from our financial advisor with approval from a mortgage lender and asking any estate agent to ask the advisor any additional questions, should they be necessary. The agent insists that we must physically go to the office with all of this info, or our offer can't be communicated to the seller.

Really strange or standard procedure here? Some buyers market!!

• 2 months later...

Bump

Does anyone live in/near Moseley? Looking at a house there tomorrow just East of the High Street a few blocks south of St Mary's row. I looked at some crime stats and it doesn't look too safe. Commute to city centre seems to be 30mins max by bus. Anyone wanna chime in? Thanks

Â