Weekend in Berlin or Edinburgh?

brommy

I'm considering a weekend away with the wife to Berlin (17th wedding anniversary). There's a decent deal on flights and hotel which is well rated and located centrally on the west side. Even after researching on Tripadvisor and searching for opinions on my beloved VT, I still can't make my mind up. So I'm after some direct opinions, hopefully from those who have been there in the last decade. Some facts particular to my proposed trip to consider:

End of June (think it might be a gay parade weekend though :| )

Business class flights, 2 nights in a 4 star hotel (including 2 x breakfasts, 1 x lunch, 1 x 3 course evening meal) for 2 people = £500

Would like to see a few tourist sites but ultimately want to enjoy the hotel room as just as much :winkold:

Because much of the food is included I think the total cost will be around £600.

Should I go for it OR save around £300 and spend one night up in Edinburgh (good hotel and food/drink will cost a fair bit but we do get free train travel).

Advice and comments, please!

Why are you going Business class? Stay in economy and just spend that money on something else.

It's a deal I've been offered, only £20 (per person each way) above the economy price. For that we get to chill out in the private lounges at Heathrow and Berlin (free food and drink), get a bigger seat/more space on the flight, a decent hot meal and free drinks on the flight and get priority luggage check in and collection. Normally £135 extra per person each way and therefore not something I'd consider but this deal seems worth it to me. :)

Berlin all the way.

One - nil to Berlin, so far!

Any tips on things to see or do?

Typical costs for a large beer?

Is there much English spoken anywhere or should I take a phrase book? :oops:

Typical weather in late June?

I've never been, but out of the two, I'd definitely go there.

I've been to Hamburg, and they were really good with speaking English. And I'd say the weather would be very similar to ours.

I've never been, but out of the two, I'd definitely go there.

I've been to Hamburg, and they were really good with speaking English. And I'd say the weather would be very similar to ours.

8)

Weather to be between 15C and 25C, with sun, cloud or rain then?! :lol:

i actually wasnt overly fussed with berlin, had been to barcelona shortly before and found it an eerily quiet city, no hustle and bustle until you got to somewhere like potsdamer platz (which was amazing) or the reichstag

checkpoint charlie was the best thing there IMO some of the museums were disappointing, obviously the nazi stuff is a bit brief and the russian stuff is everywhere but in a couple i went in it was seemingly a wall of german but only half of that in english meant that because im actually interested in all of it i didnt learn that much new i didnt find a museum that id say is half as good as the national history museum

best thing that happened when i was there - having dinner on unter den linten or whatever its called and cops came from absolutely everywhere, hundreds of them, limo pulls up and out steps the president of senegal (i asked) then all the cops went, was one of the strangest things ive ever seen

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely Berlin! Absolutely love the place. And I wouldn´t constrain myself just to the west-side of city. Personally I like the eastern part a lot more interesting. The area around Alexander platz, for example Hackescher Markt is full of nice restaurants and shops. For cheap beer and great döner kebab head to Kreuzberg or Neukölln. Berlin´s a wonderful city full of history and something for everyone.

I will be in Berlin all next week :-) wunderbar

Agree with villafann the east side of the city is certainly the best and most interesting

Do you get a senior citizens discount for the sex museum ? :-)

I'm going to Berlin on a Stag Do in July.

Where's the best place to go for cheap beer and (cheap) women?

East side in Mitte is the best, IMO for bars.

For the women I would not know :wink:

Â