Houllier - Stay or Go

pacbuddies

Should Houllier be our manager or not?  

1. 1. Should Houllier be our manager or not?

• He should go now
    • He should go at the end of the season
    • He should stay and be our manager next season

we are pushing the ball around better in area's that are not hurting the opposition.

In the business area's of the the pitch i.e The Box

we are conceding goals like they are going out of fashion and at the other end we are missing chances like a naive fool.

There is no cutting edge in the team or any kind of urgency.

Make him director of football and deal with transfers and bring in a young up and coming manager.

I assumed the original noses comment was aimed at people who wanted Houllier to stay.

For what it's worth, i haven't seen anyone who wants Houllier to stay calling someone who is unhappy a nose.

I'd be interested to see if you had any links to back that up.

There's loads, feel free to use your search function at the top of the page

I'm not searching around to try and back up claims by someone else, I was just curious as I haven't seen anyone calling people bluenoses for wanting Houllier out.

But thanks for the patronising advice, i could practically feel you ruffling my hair as you said it.

we are pushing the ball around better in area's that are not hurting the opposition.

we are conceding goal like they are going out of fashion and at the other end we are missing chances like a naive fool.

There is no cuuting edge in the team or any kind of ungency.

Make him director of football and deal with transfers and bring in a young up and coming manager.

sort of agree

tho a manager for us doesn't have to be young - far from it - id rather us have a manager with bit of experience tbh. But one thing they have to have is some form of **** energy and enthusasim.

They don't have to bleed claret & blue or jump around on touchline like O'Neill but they have to have drive and some form of energy and drive -even if its only for their ego . Something of which i stuggle to believe Houllier has...at least now.

The truth is, if we would have won today which we should have there would not be such a reaction. It would have papered over a lot of cracks.

The FA cup team selection was disrespectful to put it lightly, however I will stand by the opinion that todays defeat is not Houlliers fault. What has to be taken into consideration by the board is that the form is a disgrace. Ok we have had injuries, but the squad at his disposal is very much top 6 standard and should be doing better.

We are in a terrible position and the players as well as the manager need to make sure they give us something to cheer about in what has been a write off season.

A lot of things Houllier has done are wrong, and he will continue to make mistakes, but he is trying to adopt a different philosphy at villa. We have a right to voice our opinions to the board and the manager but I believe Houllier will be here next season unless we are relegated.

This post is not to stick up for Houllier, as I have said he has made almost unforgivable mistakes but we need to stay behind him as it only affects the team if we start getting on his back!

But our form over the last few games has been top 6 form. GH is beginning to turn it around.

One win in five? :lol: Have you ever considered a career on stage? You made me laugh...

We won the 2 games previous to those 5 and we were very unlucky not to win today.

We've just put together 2 of our best performance of the season back to back...if we'd have won today, which we would have done 8/10 with the chances we had, then we'd be 9th...2 points off 8th. Would people be moaning then???

They would wouldn't they :lol:

we are conceding goal like they are going out of fashion and at the other end we are missing chances like a naive fool.

We have got a cutting edge though. 6 goals in the last 2 games and 13 in the last 6.

There's plenty of urgency.

The truth is, if we would have won today which we should have there would not be such a reaction. It would have papered over a lot of cracks.

The FA cup team selection was disrespectful to put it lightly, however I will stand by the opinion that todays defeat is not Houlliers fault. What has to be taken into consideration by the board is that the form is a disgrace. Ok we have had injuries, but the squad at his disposal is very much top 6 standard and should be doing better.

We are in a terrible position and the players as well as the manager need to make sure they give us something to cheer about in what has been a write off season.

A lot of things Houllier has done are wrong, and he will continue to make mistakes, but he is trying to adopt a different philosphy at villa. We have a right to voice our opinions to the board and the manager but I believe Houllier will be here next season unless we are relegated.

This post is not to stick up for Houllier, as I have said he has made almost unforgivable mistakes but we need to stay behind him as it only affects the team if we start getting on his back!

But our form over the last few games has been top 6 form. GH is beginning to turn it around.

One win in five? :lol: Have you ever considered a career on stage? You made me laugh...

We won the 2 games previous to those 5 and we were very unlucky not to win today.

We've just put together 2 of our best performance of the season back to back...if we'd have won today, which we would have done 8/10 with the chances we had, then we'd be 9th...2 points off 8th. Would people be moaning then???

Well yeah, I don't think everyone would be worshiping Houllier in awe if he brought us the mighty 9th place?

We have got a cutting edge though. 6 goals in the last 2 games and 13 in the last 6.

its all a bit que sera sera.....we are conceding goals at will almost every sortie the opposition mount.

I don't call that showing urgency or agression.

There is a soft underbelly in this team IMO.

You're seriously basing an arguement on "if" :shock: :lol:

We're closer to 18th (relegation) than 9th, cover that one up.

We're not closer to 18th, we're closer to 9th.

I'm not basing an argument on if, I'm basing it on us playing very well and being unlucky...today was one of those days, everyone has them. We're playing better, the players actually look like they want to play for Houllier now and they're getting used to the playing style. I think things are looking good for this club.

Get this season out the way and we can have a good go at it next time round. Next season is the time to judge Houllier and before anyone says we havent stayed up yet, I really doubt the likes of Blackpool, Blackburn and Wigan, amongst others, will be above come the end of the season.

Well yeah, I don't think everyone would be worshiping Houllier in awe if he brought us the mighty 9th place?

Shortsighted.

Sorry, when did the form table take into account "ifs" and "maybe's" ?? The fact is, form guides are usually taken from the last five games and we've won ONE of them.

As for putting two of our best performances in back to back, I take it you weren't at Man City then? :? Joker!

its all a bit que sera sera.....we are conceding goals at will almost every sortie the opposition mount.

I don't call that showing urgency or agression.

There is a soft underbelly in this team IMO.

The defence has been poor, but you can't question the urgency of the rest of the team based on the last 7 or 8 league games. On the whole I'd say our attack is better than our defence is bad (if that makes sense), so we should be more than alright for the rest of the season. We'll have a couple of CB's to sign before next season though IMO.

If a certain Ashley Young had scored his penalty today (or better yet let someone more likely to score take it) then this thread would be very different.

Personally, I think performances (in the league) are improving and so are results. Ok, today's result isn't an example of that but, and correct me if I'm wrong, we were 6th in the form table going into today. Yeh, that's where we should be all season, fair enough, but it shows things were improving from where they were a couple of months ago.

I also think we're playing a better style of football than we used to. It's a lot more fluent and more centred around passing rather than direct "passing" (aka hoofs)

The defence is a bit of a shambles, but even that was improving before today. Hopefully today can be put down to the injuries in defence, and apart from Nathan Baker missing two headers from corners I don't think the defence did too badly today considering who it comprised of, it's just that those errors cost us big time.

Things ARE improving. I know that's hard to see for the people who see everything as black and white. "We lost today therefore nothing positive can be taken from the game. It doesn't matter that it was a mugging and we actually were by far the better team and should have had the game wrapped up after 70 minutes, we lost therefore we played shite". We failed to take our chances, which is a worry. But that wasn't down to tactics today. It wasn't down to Houllier having the wrong players playing up front and on the wings, it was down to not having our day in front of goal and paying for it with defensive errors.

The manager has to, and does, take the blame for some things, but when his team create 7 or 8 great chances and his strikers fluff them, can he take the blame for that? I'm sure one of the proud Houllier out gang will tell me he can, but in my opinion he can't.

Am I perfectly happy with Houllier? of course not, none of us are.

Do I want him sacked? No I don't.

Why? Because I've seen signs of improvement. I've seen the club playing more attractive football, I've seen some good signings come through the doors, and I can see a small light at the end of the tunnel. yeh, maybe someone else could do it better, and wouldn't have had this season of bottom half of the table to adjust. But whilst I can see signs of improvement I'm willing to give Houllier a bit more time.

Ultimately it's about results. I wrote this season off a long time ago as time to adjust. If we start next season the way we've been going this season, results wise, then I'll be all aboard the Houllier out bandwagon, because by then he'll have had his chances.

But until then I remain optimistic that houllier can do something here. How much that "something" is, remains to be seen. I might be wrong, but that's my opinion and my justification.

I eagerly await the ridiculing I'm bound to receive from the usual suspects for daring to elaborate on reasons why Houllier isn't terrible.

I assumed the original noses comment was aimed at people who wanted Houllier to stay.

For what it's worth, i haven't seen anyone who wants Houllier to stay calling someone who is unhappy a nose.

I'm not searching around to try and back up claims by someone else, I was just curious as I haven't seen anyone calling people bluenoses for wanting Houllier out.

But thanks for the patronising advice, i could practically feel you ruffling my hair as you said it.

Well don't ask a patronising question in the first place and you won't get a patronising response will you?

Do you really think people "bookmark" quotes to back up a point they might be making on Villa Talk in the future? :lol: Get a grip man.

You're seriously basing an arguement on "if" :shock: :lol:

We're closer to 18th (relegation) than 9th, cover that one up.

We're not closer to 18th, we're closer to 9th.

13th-9th=3 points

18th-13th=3 points + two games in hand....

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Sorry, when did the form table take into account "ifs" and "maybe's" ?? The fact is, form guides are usually taken from the last five games and we've won ONE of them.

As for putting two of our best performances in back to back, I take it you weren't at Man City then? :? Joker!

My mistake I meant the last 2 league games...don't really think that makes me a joker.

I wasn't going on the 'form table' and who said anything about the 'form table' taking into account ifs and maybe's? I was going on our last 7 league games.

Well don't ask a patronising question in the first place and you won't get a patronising response will you?

Do you really think people "bookmark" quotes to back up a point they might be making on Villa Talk in the future? :lol: Get a grip man.

What's patronising about asking out of curiosity whether you had any links to the comments because I hadn't seen any of them?

If a certain Ashley Young had scored his penalty today (or better yet let someone more likely to score take it) then this thread would be very different.

If the Lino had spotted the ball had gone out there would have been no pen.

If sturridge had took his chance in the 1st half things could have been worse

There are always ifs in the majority of games. If unfortunatley doesn't give you any points.