Houllier - Stay or Go

pacbuddies

Should Houllier be our manager or not?  

1. 1. Should Houllier be our manager or not?

• He should go now
    • He should go at the end of the season
    • He should stay and be our manager next season

I'd be quite happy with Fat Sam. I reckon he'd do well at a decent sized club, plus he knows how to organise a defence. And as you say, Sam would never have done so badly with our squad as Monsieur Foot-in-Mouth has done.

Never fat Sam, even the thought is laughable, if we were to get rid of the manager, with the players we have at our disposal, we are just starting too IMO anyway play good football, on the deck, decent movement and creating chances. If we were to let Houllier go, I'd rather someone come in and try to carry on the same philosophy but sort out defensive players/system. I'd rather finish 16th under Houllier for next 3 seasons (this counts as 1) than finish 8th-11th under Sam for 2 seasons after this.

2 years under Sam, we'd see a bunch of pretty average, physical, big, grafters who are extremely competitive, firstly we are better than that. We are a team with good players capable of playing football and winning and IF Houllier is in charge next season and doesn't do that, he will definitely be wanted out by surely 95% of fans as the only thing some fans are calling for is time, a pre-season, a summer to build a team, system and club.

At least under Houllier, if he was to leave end of the season, during his time here, we've actually signed some very good players, the youth players have developed and going forward and keeping possesion, we look a lot better than we have at any point in recent times. Biggest problem is the defence but that doesn't mean we need to bring in some defensive minded manager who has never got a team playing more than 5 passes in his whole career.

Not just the playing side but the club need to move forward and think

about the future, appointing Big Sam for me would just be so pointless it's beyond belief and anyone who entertains the idea is just extremely unambitious or mental.

Stay. Wolves are in for a world of pain.

Wolves will be full of confidence after today's result, while Villa will be feeling like their manager has no confidence in them....

Didn't know you were within the squad and know what they are all thinking.

Certainly didn't play like a team short of confidence vs Bolton.

I'm the team palm reader...

What I've done is speculate, a fairly popular pastime here on VillaTalk...

Here is how I've formed my opinion based on pure conjecture:

Wolves had a very encouraging match against Spurs yesterday, while we blew a lead against mediocre opposition with 15 minutes to play just a couple of days after our manager said he didn't think we were good enough to beat Manchester City even if we were at full strength.

Simple enough, eh?

Of course, I could be totally wrong. But what's the fun of withholding an opinion on an open fan forum?

:D

We could winning the champions league and prem by then.

Bet he'd have no problem taking the credit for that...

Bet a lot on here would have no problem taking that credit away from ihim.

"We were up against a poor Barcelona side in the final".

What if he finishes higher in his first season than MON? Niether had much of a preseason and both want/ed to stamp there own style of play on the team. Houllier is probably not use to so many kick-and-rush cloggers in a squad.

where did we finish 12th?

What if he finishes higher in his first season than MON? Niether had much of a preseason and both want/ed to stamp there own style of play on the team. Houllier is probably not use to so many kick-and-rush cloggers in a squad.

11th

11th

One also inherited a squad that had just finished 6th/challenged for 4th until the 37th game of last season. The other inherited a squad that finished 16th.

It's not a fair comparison as has been pointed out many time. MON had a much worse squad to start with. A much lower quality of players overall, and probably not ones that would automatically play to the style he wanted either. Ged took over a squad that had finished top 6 for three seasons in a row. He had some problems with injuries, and the fact that Milner had left, which I'll give him a little bit of leeway for, but it was still a much much better situation than the one MON had walked into initially.

Keep him, doing OK with what he has. At times we look fantastic but the stupid mistakes in defence and missing penalties ffs are not doing us any favours. Darren Bent in a 1 on 1 would be odds on to score but didn't happen for us on Saturday.

These are things that a manager can't do much about. If they can then why did Man Utd lose even with the best manager on the planet to absolute laughable errors ? Player can cost 1 pound or 50 million but they will always mess up.

Talk of getting rid is laughable, the big picture is harder to get a grip on I understand this and people take time to get it I suppose.

What if he finishes higher in his first season than MON? Niether had much of a preseason and both want/ed to stamp there own style of play on the team.

MON took us from 16th to 11th in his first season, so a gain of 5 places.

Houllier has taken us from a solid 6th position team to xx?

and that in a league this year, which has a lot of poor poor teams, and that finishing 6th/7th should be pretty simple. Even from our current position, i would be very angry if Houllier can't get us into 7th.

Keep him, doing OK with what he has. At times we look fantastic but the stupid mistakes in defence and missing penalties ffs are not doing us any favours. Darren Bent in a 1 on 1 would be odds on to score but didn't happen for us on Saturday.

These are things that a manager can't do much about. If they can then why did Man Utd lose even with the best manager on the planet to absolute laughable errors ? Player can cost 1 pound or 50 million but they will always mess up.

Talk of getting rid is laughable, the big picture is harder to get a grip on I understand this and people take time to get it I suppose.

Comparing us with Man U is silly. They mad key mistakes in this one game. Maybe a couple of others through the season. That's fair enough, these things happen.

Our team are making these kind of individual mistakes almost every game. That's a little bit different, and a little bit more worrying. And if you don't want to blame the manager for that then I'm really not sure what the point of having a manager even is.

He should stay. Signs of improvement are still being seen and this season was always going to be a transition.

But he does need to improve and really didn't do himself any favours with the FA Cup mess. Needs to be more careful what he says to the press as well.

We are playing the best football we have seen at Villa Park in years.

4 succesful passes on the trot yet wiggy??

I know the results arnt going for us at the minute, but you have to admit the football being played is much better than the route one stuff under MON?

4 succesful passes on the trot yet wiggy??

I know the results arnt going for us at the minute, but you have to admit the football being played is much better than the route one stuff under MON?

The only games Ive had chance to see recently were Man City at Home, and Man City Away. Although, my dad has said recently we do look very good on match of the day.

I kind of see and read about the vision - just bored with this season. Im coming down for the Newcastle game so will get a good look then.

Really :o Matter of opinion I guess. What can't be argued is we are playing the most unproductive football in terms of results that we have seen in years.

As Bickster said previously if we had judges on the touchline giving out marks for artistic merit we might be doing slightly better. Fortunately we don't though.