Houllier - Stay or Go

pacbuddies

Should Houllier be our manager or not?  

1. 1. Should Houllier be our manager or not?

• He should go now
    • He should go at the end of the season
    • He should stay and be our manager next season

Stay, but only till we're safe.

His record with the players we have is beyond appalling, especially defensively, no number of "different" style excuses is going to change that. He is not the man to take us forward.

Until Wednesday I would have said stay but I can't condone not sending out his best team to try in the FA Cup. I think he has got us playing a style of attacking football that may pay dividends long term but the shocking demise of our defending over a relatively short period of time is too big a worry and it doesn't appear to be turning around. I have no faith in Gary McAllister either. Stay until the end of the season and then please go. He is not the man for Aston Villa Football Club IMO.

Go. I'd rather it was now, as whoever came in to coach our defence for the rest of the season clearly couldn't do any worse, and maybe just a quick change would give the team a bit of a lift.

It isn't going to happen though. I think relegation might be the only thing that would get rid of him, and even then it would be by mutual consent.

I'll ive him until the end of the season but no longer. He's not good enough a manager to take us forward and too old now to leave a positive lasting legacy. I think the board made a huge mistake by appointing him but probably can't afford to sack him.

Either way, the situation is **** up! I can't think of a manager who has ever made me feel as apathetic towards Villa as this clown. Perhaps O'Leary came close, but he was'nt backed like this guy and had far more poorer players at his disposal. He's had a huge wedge of funds to spend and inherited a very good squad (with perhaps a few crap players, but you get that everywhere). I want to know how he has managed to make such good players look utterly shit. And the defending! My god, all a team has to do is punt the ball into the box and we look terrified.

To be honest can't see anything getting worse if the club did decide to cut their losses, I reckon it would probably lift a very dark cloud around the club.

Can't the mods add a poll to this? Three options needed IMO:

1) Stay

2) Go now

3) Go at the end of the season

I asked for a poll at the start of the thread and again since.

I'm far from happy but it would be pointless sacking him right now. There's 9 games left, if we got rid of him now then it would probably be Gordon Cowans and Kevin Mac in charge until the end of the season. What's the point in that?

As the thread originator I will say Go now. GC & KM can see us through to the end of the season and then we can appoint. There are other managers that know how to play football the right way and could get us to defend properly and who would not throw a cup match.

I think it all comes down to how much money Randy will be giving the manager. If it is Houllier and he is trusted to make the right signings (as he should do and has proven he can do) I think he should stay. Like Ireland said, a player is convinved to come here for the manager, he wanted to play for MON (yes i know his quote was inaccurate). Do we want to be in a position where Makoun (and Bent, but much less so) cant perform in the role for another manager?

If Houllier is given the funds to sign a squad that will revolve around Houlliers men (aslong as they are much more adaptable to new management than MON's men, who quite clearly could only play to a 6th standard under MON) then i think he should stay, he wont be here for years and years hence why they should be adaptable. One thing for sure is that Youth are willing to perform for him. When i think about our best performers this season as a whole, I think of Clark, Walker, Albrighton, Bannan in places, NRC (who fell out with the last management), Makoun, Bent and Downing (who was injured too much to be playing well last season) and more recently, Delph. As a whole, this shows me that Youth can perform well under Houllier and that the players he brings in will perform well for him too. If he can replicate this over the summer. He SHOULD stay. Bring in some decent french players and some more continental players and i'll be ecstatic.

---------------------------------------Mandanda (lol)

Walker---StrongDef(Sakho-type player)---Clark---Taiwo/Tabanou/M'Bengue

----------------------------------Makoun---Sissoko

Albrighton------------------Hazard-type/Young/Bannan-------------------Downing

------------------------------------------Bent

Bench: Guzan, Dunne, Baker, Slim Gabby, Winger, Delph, NRC

Squad: Herd, Hogg, Fonz, Fofana, Weimann, Cuellar, Siegriest, Lichaj

(With Fofana, Herd, Baker, Fonz and a few others being under 21 that would give us a 24 man squad with around 10 brought through the club and loads being trained by English clubs before the age of 21) I would then set about replacing Dunne, Cuellar, Lichaj, Hogg, Guzan NEXT summer.

Can fully see us challenging where we should be again with a more than respectable English balance in the squad where we could be proud of ourselves for being throughly British but also have enough International flair to be competetive wages/talent wise. By late next season/Early 2012/13 we would be able to compete again properly.

I'd be more worried about going down with KMac in charge than I would with sticking with Houllier.
KMac left us in 8th place.

Your post might as well have read

I'd be more worried about going down with Myra in charge than I would with sticking with Houllier.

it makes no sense either way.