Houllier - Stay or Go

pacbuddies

Should Houllier be our manager or not?  

1. 1. Should Houllier be our manager or not?

• He should go now
    • He should go at the end of the season
    • He should stay and be our manager next season

To be fair, in terms of passing the ball and movement, we are playing much better football as in football how it's best played but that doesn't make for most effective all the time. Blackburn at home was honestly the best I've seen us play, second half especially in a very long time.

Just defensively what needs to be sorted out.

We are playing the best football we have seen at Villa Park in years.

Really :o Matter of opinion I guess. What can't be argued is we are playing the most unproductive football in terms of results that we have seen in years.

As Bickster said previously if we had judges on the touchline giving out marks for artistic merit we might be doing slightly better. Fortunately we don't though.

Unfortunately i think you ment bud.

Yes the results are shite and this season is a right-off, but there are signs of promise there to show we are going in the right direction. On another note, we have had more injuries this season than in the past couple of seasons.

To be fair, in terms of passing the ball and movement, we are playing much better football as in football how it's best played but that doesn't make for most effective all the time. Blackburn at home was honestly the best I've seen us play, second half especially in a very long time.

Just defensively what needs to be sorted out.

Agree, blackburn was a joy to watch 2nd half.

We've improved our overall defending and having been opened up often lately, apart from the United game, the last 7 games...couple deflected goals from long range and then mainly, the rest are all from set-peices., it's letting us down, it needs to be sorted and once it is sorted, we'll be okay.

Passing the ball about better doesn't necessarily mean it's more attractive to watch. It can in fact be incredibly frustrating to watch us pass backwards and forwards and not pass with more attacking intent. I remember watching his Liverpool side. As a nuetral, for the most part, they weren't exactlty exciting to watch, despite passing the ball to death. I fear we are going down a similar route.

But we aren't Liverpool, especially recently, we've looked very good going forward, Bolton and Blackburn, we could of scored 5/6 comfortably in either game. I liked O'Neill as a manager but the football we played, while effective which is vital of course was horrible to watch.

But we aren't Liverpool, especially recently, we've looked very good going forward, Bolton and Blackburn, we could have scored 5/6 comfortably in either game. I liked O'Neill as a manager but the football we played, while effective which is vital of course was horrible to watch.

That's why I said 'for the most part'. There were times when that old Liverpool side did the same, but they weren't the norm, and they haven't been the norm for us either.

(Incidentally, I liked O'Neill, but the style of football was my major gripe too. Just because we've now changed that style, doesn't mean I have to like whatever we've changed it too.)

Well I do think it's improved from an attacking sense, Young is getting between the lines more often, Bent's movement is causing problems to defences, Reo-Coker's passing has come on leaps and bounds, usually partnered by someone who can find passes like Makoun/Delph etc..Downing and Albrighton look in great form. We've just started to really play some good stuff lately and I hope it continues, just with added defensive steel.

What if he finishes higher in his first season than MON? Niether had much of a preseason and both want/ed to stamp there own style of play on the team. Houllier is probably not use to so many kick-and-rush cloggers in a squad.

It's not a fair comparison as has been pointed out many time. MON had a much worse squad to start with. A much lower quality of players overall, and probably not ones that would automatically play to the style he wanted either. Ged took over a squad that had finished top 6 for three seasons in a row. He had some problems with injuries, and the fact that Milner had left, which I'll give him a little bit of leeway for, but it was still a much much better situation than the one MON had walked into initially.

MON was given no restrictions in the transfer market, Houllier had to get rid of players before he could bring anyone in due to MON putting average players on huge wages for many years.

Most were unfit when he took over too.

MON was given no restrictions in the transfer market, Houllier had to get rid of players before he could bring anyone in due to MON putting average players on huge wages for many years.

Exactly how many players did Houllier "get rid of" before he splashed £6m on Makoun and £24 million on Bent?

Exactly how many players did Houllier "get rid of" before he splashed £6m on Makoun and £24 million on Bent?

Sidwell and Carew would have shifted over 100k from the wage bill, which I'm sure covers Bent and Makoun's wages.

It was actually 5 million Euros on Makoun. To be fair to Houllier he has been effective thus far at getting rid of some of the chaff.

To be fair to Houllier he has been effective thus far at getting rid of some of the chaff.

Trouble is he is failing to get the anything like the best out of the wheat. :winkold:

Well, I was at least trying to put some balance to the argument. :)

sidwell

carew

davies

ireland

all out and off the wage bill in january freeing up £800k per month