Houllier - Stay or Go

pacbuddies

Should Houllier be our manager or not?  

1. 1. Should Houllier be our manager or not?

• He should go now
    • He should go at the end of the season
    • He should stay and be our manager next season

Sunday 9:49 pm and 57/42%. C'mon guys, I want 60 before midnight.

I bet Houllier would like 60 before midnight too.

I bet he had his wine and white bred and he'is in bed already. I hope. Bodymoor Heath at 9:00 AM tomorrow - a lot of defensive work to be done.

This is a misleading poll as people are voting for him to stay despite wanting him to go in the summer I suspect.

Personally I think he should GO whenever, be it now or in May. Go now and maybe we'll get the mini-honeymoon boost new managers get, go May and new manager gets full pre-season.

Either way Houllier should be nowhere near this club come June. Regardless of settling in etc etc, no manager should take a team from 6th to borderline relegation in 6months. Forget all the other stupid things and that is the bottom line for me. Stand still, maybe, fall back a little, perhaps, plummet - unacceptable. All his other indiscretions just add fuel to a very big bonfire.

Not joking, I would take any other Premiership manager over him and a lot of them would be far from desirable but everyone is better than having this clueless old man throwing in the towel - or even worse actually trying and still being useless!

Managers are supposed to start well then tail off - he's not even had that!

I might even consider DOL over him... well, maybe not but at least he had the good start!!

Nope. But quite a discollected rant to a post basically agreeing with your dubious supposition.

Does that mean that you agree or disagree?

I think it means you either didn't read or understand the post. The words "You would hope so." would indicate agreement, but your reponse offers only bafflement.

Considering my state of mind at the moment (and in general) I think your posts are like what Churchill said about Russia. And comical too. But I'm a lazy reader and understanding never was my thing. Forget those last words.

"Houllier out" clan OUT!

I am surprised that he has received the amount of backing he has after two defeats on the bounce. It would be interesting to see what the results would be like after a victory.

I voted for him to stay for the following reasons:

1. He has signed good players in the transfer window.

2. He has good conections in world football.

3. We are playing good football.

4. Lack of realistic alternatives.

My reservations are:

1. He seems to have a great knack of upsetting people such as Carew, Warnock, Ireland, the fans, Bruce and Hollaway.

2. He has had most of the season to sort out our defending at set pieces and has not managed to do it.

Good post.

Only Houllier pissing off the likes of Carew, Warnock, Ireland, Bruce and Holloway is a positive for me.

Pissing off the fans he can do without. His job is hard enough as it is. I think he learnt from his Liverpool love-in. I only hope he learned from the Man Citeh debacle too.

Certainly defending is a big issue, though 3 kids and a RB out of position is always going to produce questionable results. It needs to be sorted as a priority. Leaving it till the off-season is a risk, imo.

As for whether he should stay or go - definitely stay.

And he hits me again, behind my back.
poetry in motion

poetry in motion never stopping to explore the bleeding

never stopping to look at the reasoning

bowing down in front of the black

as another blade strikes into the back

waiting for good days

for splendour return

I wrote this in another thread earlier, but it kinda fits here so I will copy/paste.

For some reason I still dont think we are too far away. I really like the attacking quartet of Bent, Albrighton, Young and Downing. People on the internet seem to have kittens when they switch, but it does bring goals. Downing was on the right when he scored last week, he was on the right again when Albrighton scored this week. Stuart Downing has been our best player this season in my opinion.

Darren Bent seems to be exactly what we expected, a player who is very much like Andy Cole, he misses a few but his movement is exceptional and he always gets in positions to get chances or which creates space for others. He must be a nightmare to play against and he will score 20 goals next season in my opinion.

Ashley Young is doing well despite the dizzy expectations on him, he creates a lot of chances and chips in with his fair share of goals. Before yesterday his record from 12 yards was very good, he just got outsmarted by a goalkeeper who clearly did his homework and the lesson learned will be to add a bit more variety to his spot kicks.

To those who think Young should be out on the left wing all the time, when he plays regularly there he is identified as our main threat and doubled up on which sees his threat nullified. I dont think he will ever recapture the form of his first 12 months at the club, that that is due to him not being an unknown quantity any more. He tore teams to shreds because they made no plans to deal with him, so he has been a victim of his own success so to speak. At least when he is in the middle he can go either way instead of being shepherded down the line every time he gets the ball.

The glaring problems are at the back, particularly defending set pieces. @OptaJoe(premier league stat man on Twitter) said that we had conceded 13 goals from corners in the league this season following Bolton's first goal, which was a league high. Their second goal made it 14, and Manchester City in the week made it at least 15. I cant remember every other goal we have conceded in cup competitions (which Opta dont keep a record of) but we have to be approaching 20 goals conceded this season from corner kicks. This is clearly unacceptable, and it is something that should be easily dealt with on the training ground. Why isnt this happening? Other teams have to be aware of this, I assume managers and coaches have access to stats on everything (I certainly would make sure I did if I were a manager) and seeing just how many goals the Villa concede from corner kicks means that teams will start targeting that as a clear weakness. I'll bet you Wolves will be doing extra training from corners for the week before we play them. We should be doing that too. If we dont have the right coaching staff in to organise that then we should be looking and employing somebody. We have plenty of time between games to get this sorted out and it needs doing ASAP.

What does this have to do with Houlliers position? Well, I like his basic philosophy and I am prepared to give him more time. I do wonder about his constant PR gaffes though, does it mean he doesn't take the job seriously? The time he took in even getting here and the fact that he asked the French FA to consider granting him sabattical leave. The Anfield debacle. The lack of effort at Manchester City and his post game comments (he would have been strung up if that were a league game) all give the impression that Houllier doesn't give a ****. But again, I do like his basic philosophy of how the game should be played. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now, but boy is he on thin ice.

I wrote this in another thread earlier, but it kinda fits here so I will copy/paste.

For some reason I still dont think we are too far away. I really like the attacking quartet of Bent, Albrighton, Young and Downing. People on the internet seem to have kittens when they switch, but it does bring goals. Downing was on the right when he scored last week, he was on the right again when Albrighton scored this week. Stuart Downing has been our best player this season in my opinion.

Darren Bent seems to be exactly what we expected, a player who is very much like Andy Cole, he misses a few but his movement is exceptional and he always gets in positions to get chances or which creates space for others. He must be a nightmare to play against and he will score 20 goals next season in my opinion.

Ashley Young is doing well despite the dizzy expectations on him, he creates a lot of chances and chips in with his fair share of goals. Before yesterday his record from 12 yards was very good, he just got outsmarted by a goalkeeper who clearly did his homework and the lesson learned will be to add a bit more variety to his spot kicks.

To those who think Young should be out on the left wing all the time, when he plays regularly there he is identified as our main threat and doubled up on which sees his threat nullified. I dont think he will ever recapture the form of his first 12 months at the club, that that is due to him not being an unknown quantity any more. He tore teams to shreds because they made no plans to deal with him, so he has been a victim of his own success so to speak. At least when he is in the middle he can go either way instead of being shepherded down the line every time he gets the ball.

The glaring problems are at the back, particularly defending set pieces. @OptaJoe(premier league stat man on Twitter) said that we had conceded 13 goals from corners in the league this season following Bolton's first goal, which was a league high. Their second goal made it 14, and Manchester City in the week made it at least 15. I cant remember every other goal we have conceded in cup competitions (which Opta dont keep a record of) but we have to be approaching 20 goals conceded this season from corner kicks. This is clearly unacceptable, and it is something that should be easily dealt with on the training ground. Why isnt this happening? Other teams have to be aware of this, I assume managers and coaches have access to stats on everything (I certainly would make sure I did if I were a manager) and seeing just how many goals the Villa concede from corner kicks means that teams will start targeting that as a clear weakness. I'll bet you Wolves will be doing extra training from corners for the week before we play them. We should be doing that too. If we dont have the right coaching staff in to organise that then we should be looking and employing somebody. We have plenty of time between games to get this sorted out and it needs doing ASAP.

What does this have to do with Houlliers position? Well, I like his basic philosophy and I am prepared to give him more time. I do wonder about his constant PR gaffes though, does it mean he doesn't take the job seriously? The time he took in even getting here and the fact that he asked the French FA to consider granting him sabattical leave. The Anfield debacle. The lack of effort at Manchester City and his post game comments (he would have been strung up if that were a league game) all give the impression that Houllier doesn't give a ****. But again, I do like his basic philosophy of how the game should be played. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now, but boy is he on thin ice.

May as well close the thread now as far as I'm concerned. That's the perfect reasoned comment.

Good post, he is flawed but overall he is pointing us in the right direction.

I think a major factor in next season is that he will have his preseason. Fitness has been an issue this season, the extra workload to improve fitness caused injuries but our players weren't fit enough at the start of this season. That is inexcusable imo.

On the corners, it is clearly a problem but against Bolton it looked like a lack of desire from our players to win the ball that really cost us. I do not know how defending corners is coached but if players are not willing to go through the opposition to get the ball then that is a worry.