Defensive nightmares all season!

danceoftheshamen

So at the time of writing we are about to face an in form Bolton side on their own patch with major defensive problems. Dunne now injured by all accounts for a month, Collins injured, Cuellar injured, Luke Young suffering some severe personal issue's, Warnock apparantly just rebelling against all things Villa ditto Beye! Well thats basically our entire defence from last season injured or wanting out?!

Never have i experienced a season so littered with injuries to key players at key times.. I mean we are entering a critical & very difficult run of games against teams in & around us in the relegation scrap ... with no defence!! :shock:

So with Dunne out for a month, Cuellar a week or 2 away & Collins touch & go by all accounts i am starting to get a touch concerned as this is coinciding with the run of games which were supposed to shoot us up the table... Not forgetting the last 2 games being against Liverpool & Arsenal away this really is a make or break situation for Aston Villa FC.

Lets just hope we have found our scoring boots after the Blackburn game as i fear we are going to need them!

What personal issues is L. Young suffering from? I thought he was out because of a hip injury

I'm sure it was reported as Paternity Leave on Wednesday, although I may have confused it with someone else.

Paternity leave is a euphemism for what? Do Premier league footballers really take paternity leave in the middle of the season - using the oracle of google all I could find was rooney being rested for a game and them calling it paternity leave.

So there we go!.. Yet another load of goals against (now after Bolton game) which was sadly very very predictable.. Even scoring 2 not enough & that makes it 6 goals against in 2 games.. Shocking! Worst defence i can ever remember in over 30 years

We can't defend at all can we.

If by some miracle we manage to win a header in the box, we can't win the 2nd ball. I know some will harp on about it all being Houllier, but if our defenders can't do what is generally considered their main job, there's not much he can really do about it.

It's absolutely shamefull.. All the focus will be on Ash missing a penalty today & indeed in our current position we really can ill afford missing penalties but even so had we been able to defend properly we would have still at least gotten a point today... Most likely all 3.. The problem is rife.. 2 goals per game against all flippin season is disgraceful.. For me we simply have to put Cuellar back in (When he's fit) as we simply concede less with him in... As it is even if we are 3-0 up (not that we ever are) i would still be petrified of losing the game as our defence is so poor.

Disgraceful performance collectively at the back. Its infuriating and confusing however, because I would say that individually L.Young and Walker had decent games. Baker got found out at left back for me and his future lies at centre half, I actually thought Clark looked very weak and shaky today which is not what we've come to expect from him. The decision to not go after a new left back after the Warnock debacle is turning out to be one of Houllier's biggest faults of the year. We have been a bit unlucky with injury this year but it has not been a great year anyway for any of Friedel, Collins, Dunne or Cuellar. ASSUMING WE STAY UP, pre-season has got to be about getting a solid goal keeper and defence combination that will turn in week after week performances next year.

Ash didn't fancy the penalty and what was wrong with Bent today? After scoring a routine early chance I expected a couple possibly a hat-trick but he looked so nervous and indifferent in front of goal. Another really hurtful result for the boys and it will take a big big effort to beat Wolves now.

Right cant we request special permission to sign a defender? Most other teams wouldnt look to their youth prospects at times like this. With Dunne, Cuellar, Collins and by all accounts Beye and Warnock out. Can we not ask the FA special permission to sign a defender? Even on loan as a backup would be fine as they will come looking to prove something. A real bastard of a defender, tall strong and doesnt give a **** about getting stuck in. just does it. Would be perfect to fit along side Clark for atleast the next month.

Â