Alan Hutton

Rich_D

He will be picked so people can get extra midfielder/striker points.

How would that work?

Pay less of your budget for a cheap defender who you know isn't going to play hence you don't lose any points; then you have a bigger budget to spend on better midfielders/strikers who will pick you up more points.

Hutton is more expensive than players like Edna or Williams, who also aren't likely to play ...

The thing is they are in the squad, and may play some part. Hutton wont.

He gets a lot of stick but I have to say I think off the pitch he's handled himself well.

Hasn't complained or moaned about the situation in the press and seems to just be getting on with the situation he finds himself in.

I think Hutton is a good example of the hypocrisy when it comes to loyalty in football. If you're a good player fans, managers and owners expect you to be loyal to the club, if you're shit they'll do everything they can to make you take a pay cut and move elsewhere.

I think Hutton is a good example of the hypocrisy when it comes to loyalty in football. If you're a good player fans, managers and owners expect you to be loyal to the club, if you're shit they'll do everything they can to make you take a pay cut and move elsewhere.

Definitely.

Loyalty between players and fans only goes in 1 direction.

The player is expected to be loyal to the club and fans even if the club performs poorly.

If it's the player performing poorly however there is no loyalty shown back to them from the club and fans.

Lambert might just want players to have wages that represent their value to the club.

Hutton's going to be on higher wages than Lichaj, but Lambert might class Lichaj higher up in the pecking order for rightbacks.

I don't agree with axing Hutton from first team training. He hasn't done anything unprofessional. He's out of the plans, fine, but he's still a senior player and still being paid and should at least be treated with dignity. Chelsea are doing the same thing to Malouda. We talk about players being unprofessional when they strike and refuse to play in order to expedite a move. But we don't criticise a club for doing the club equivalent of that when they want the player to move? Nah, I don't like it. Villa have not behaved properly here and a part of me would side with Hutton in the event that we needed to call on him and he was to tell them where to stick it.

Maybe that's why other teams stayed away from Hutton and Warnock because they were put to practice with the reserves.

That would be Villa cutting off their nose to spite their face. Making a move more difficult for a player that they specifically want moved on. I think other teams didn't move for them simply because they were on too high wages. Again, Villa's fault.

I just can't understand why these players wont contemplate a wage cut to get a move and get their career back on track.

I appreciate they have a short career and a wage cut when you have a contract is always going to hurt, but they must be enormously wealthy and, even on much reduced wages, would remain so.

Surely it would be better for their general happiness and well being to be a few quid poorer but playing regularly at a club where they are wanted. How demoralising must it feel passing time by in the reserves, knowing they are not wanted and wont play?

Take a cut and move on or watch your career waste away? I know what I'd do.

I don't agree with axing Hutton from first team training. He hasn't done anything unprofessional. He's out of the plans, fine, but he's still a senior player and still being paid and should at least be treated with dignity. Chelsea are doing the same thing to Malouda. We talk about players being unprofessional when they strike and refuse to play in order to expedite a move. But we don't criticise a club for doing the club equivalent of that when they want the player to move? Nah, I don't like it. Villa have not behaved properly here and a part of me would side with Hutton in the event that we needed to call on him and he was to tell them where to stick it.
Isn't it that they're trying to get him to submit a transfer request?

As I understand it, if he did that the club would no longer need to find a buyer to match his current salary or continue to pay the difference.

Seeing as he's not good enough and his wages are high, I don't think it's all that unreasonable to try to force him out if he won't leave on his own. Not great if you're AH, but Villa aren't supposed to be a charity.

And that justifies what they're at?

They were more than happy to give him that contract. We would expect a player to honour it. I don't see why it's acceptable for a club to shit on a player if it's not OK for a player to shit on the club. If OTOH it is OK for a player to strike and throw the dummy and act the arsehole, then I take it all back and Villa can go wild on his well-behaved ass.

And that justifies what they're at?

They were more than happy to give him that contract. We would expect a player to honour it. I don't see why it's acceptable for a club to shit on a player if it's not OK for a player to shit on the club. If OTOH it is OK for a player to strike and throw the dummy and act the arsehole, then I take it all back and Villa can go wild on his well-behaved ass.

Well players leave clubs for something bigger pretty much when they want to these days, contract or no, so you could argue that it works both ways in that sense.

The club are currently forking out a LOT of money for someone who has played 30 or 40 games for the club and rarely been anything but rubbish. It's not as though he's going to find himself unable to feed his family or anything, just that he's currently on star wages and isn't one.

I agree this Hutton stuff does seem odd.

Obviously they put him there to encourage him to move on any terms and maybe that is still the plan. But if he isnt getting any offers we should be acting better towards him.

With Warnock I kind of think he deserves it because he has certainly not had the clubs best interests at his heart so why should bother with him.

You see Warnock has talent - we have all seen it for Blackburn and for Villa in his first season. Warnock doesn't deserve our sympathy because he hasn't been trying or at least isn't bothered about whether he plays well for us or not.

Hutton on the other hand just isn't that good a player. He looked like a raider in Scotland and people thought he could do the same here but he cant. We finally sold Beye after all those years and promptly bought another one. Classic Villa.

However not Huttons fault - he should be in 1st team squad just a long way away from starting or appearing in any of our games.

I'm with BOF on this one. I think Hutton is useless - except if we are looking to injure and opposing player - and am glad he isn't anywhere near starting for us. However, it does seem petty and spiteful to dump a senior pro in the reserves for no other reason than you plan on having someone else as first choice.

On the other hand, I suppose it's a case of "Right, we haven't offloaded him so let's bang him in the stiffs for a few months and see if we can piss him off enough to bugger off in January". And football is a tough business. And it's sometimes been said we are "too nice". Maybe this is the start of a more hard-headed, ruthless approach, at least as far as the team is concerned.

I agree with BOF, to be honest, unless there something we don't know then Hutton and Warnock shouldn't be training with the reserves. I rate them both so low as players though that I'm not really that bothered, I'm desperate for them to go.

Â