Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I think we should have replaced him years ago, he's often proved to be an absolute liability, keen to bomb forward then being miles out of position when we're countered.

But on a personal level, you just can't knock him. Players have dropped their heads having gone through far less adversity than this guy. I respect the shit out of him as a bloke, even if I've never been too impressed with his ability. 

I'll actually miss him, I have no doubt he's been a hell of a good influence around the dressing room, and I echo what others have said about him being a great role model for academy players. Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

8 hours ago, kiltorken said:

He's the real symbol of our decline? 

Not Lescott, Ireland, Beye, Bennett, Richards Mccormack, Veretout, gestede, grant holt etc. 

He's the real symbol of of decline in that he's the only one who stuck it out fighting when all the others left. 

The day he left was the day we got back up.

Symbol of our resurgence and never say die attitude would be be more accurate. 

Took a pay cut to remain too, not saying it was a major hardship for him but still.

He will go down as a cult hero if not a club legend (of sorts), and rightly so.

From the joke that everyone wanted rid of to cult hero. Some turn around. 

Correct decision but wish him all the best. 

He was limited. Often caught in possession and lacked any attacking awareness - often letting our forward motion fizzle out. He'd also have to dart back to defence to cover his own mistakes, only to cause more problems when he got the ball again.

He always gave his best, never deliberately let us down, and actually had a connection with us all. I wish him all the best 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Took a pay cut to remain too, not saying it was a major hardship for him but still.

He will go down as a cult hero if not a club legend (of sorts), and rightly so.

No, he didn't. He was out of contract, he was offered a years extension, he took it.

Hutton must be the only footballer I have ever seen that is claimed to have took  a pay cut when he renewed an expired deal.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No, he didn't. He was out of contract, he was offered a years extension, he took it.

Hutton must be the only footballer I have ever seen that is claimed to have took  a pay cut when he renewed an expired deal.

Drives me up the wall this, you are completely right. He wouldn’t have got more money elsewhere so it wasn’t a hard decision to make to stay.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Negative for the sake of being negative. 

Okay, he stayed on and got paid less, does that work for your sensitive souls?! 

I wasn’t aware being accurate rather than inaccurate was being sensitive... how odd.

The two things are quite different and often it’s incorrectly stated about Hutton to try and give him credit where I’m not sure it’s really warranted.

But let’s not let being accurate get in the way.... I mean Hutton scores 124 goals for Villa he deserves a stand named after him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Seems fair enough to me to describe someone doing the same job, but for less money as having taken a pay cut. Essentially he had little say in the matter, Hobson’s choice and all that, but to me it’s accurate to say he took a pay cut. 

I don’t agree, not when it’s a fixed term contract that came to an end and a new one is agreed. That’s not a pay cut but won’t labour it.

The 'he took a pay cut'  narrative seems to presuppose he could have got that money elsewhere when we all know that wasn't the case. He was earning so much on the basis of a contract he signed whilst we were in the premier league that contract expired, we were no longer playing at that level and he was no longer a premier league quality player. He then signed a deal which represented his actual worth and ability at that stage in his career. No one was going to offer him the money he was getting paid based on the deal he signed in 2014.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

So, just checking I have this right - he didn't take a pay cut, but he did sign a new contract which paid him less money than the previous one? Which, while it did cut his pay, was categorically not a pay cut?

Edited by MrDuck
  • Haha 3

Â